Groups

What to do with old computer?

we are all using laptops in our household now, and have a 7 year old pc sat around doing nothing,... it has the following:

AMD Athlon XP 1.7GHZ (1.47 ghz?)
    GEFORCE 4 - 64 MB
    512MB Memory
    30GB hard drive
    2 DVDRW drives

and it has a flatscreen monitor,.. one of the old square style ones.

i dont know how much time any of the above has before it packs in and was wondering whats the best way to get rid? ... cant really be doing with listing it on ebay with all the costs, not really worth it.

would any charities take it off my hands as its in working order?

14 Comments

nov 5th?

set it up for your parents!

Original Poster

ascen;6630325

set it up for your parents!

not worth it as they have a brand new laptop setup in the office.

Ask your local schools

you could give it away for collection on here or freecycle

Original Poster

hmmm guess i should format the thing aswell?

is there any way of wiping any possible personal information without having to re-install windows?

burn it

BURN ITTTTTTTTTT

scrumpypaul;6630498

burn itBURN ITTTTTTTTTT

onto dvd

Yuzo;6630448

hmmm guess i should format the thing aswell?is there any way of wiping … hmmm guess i should format the thing aswell?is there any way of wiping any possible personal information without having to re-install windows?

nope, but this works well

killdisk.com/

let the new owner set up their own operating system - Linux would work well on that spec

hey................there's an idea - set up a linux terminal

Check with a local charity before you burn it.

if you are local to me I would take it, refurb it, and donate it to a SCOPE charity shop, I have done others in the past, and SCOPE is the charity I support because I have a daughter with Cerebral Palsy

Original Poster

bassman_uk;6630926

if you are local to me I would take it, refurb it, and donate it to a … if you are local to me I would take it, refurb it, and donate it to a SCOPE charity shop, I have done others in the past, and SCOPE is the charity I support because I have a daughter with Cerebral Palsy

would love to mate but i am in blackpool,... looks like atleast 2-3 hours drive

Yuzo;6631040

would love to mate but i am in blackpool,... looks like atleast 2-3 hours … would love to mate but i am in blackpool,... looks like atleast 2-3 hours drive

bit far lol............ but thanks for the consideration :thumbsup: will leave rep

Don't think many organisations take electrical appliances these days.

How about sticking it on the school notice board (assuming family are at school) maybe a low income family would have it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …115257
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415714096
      3. No preseason sky sports offers1218
      4. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October717

See more discussions