What to do with pushy postman?

Found 18th Oct 2011
Hi all,

Random thread I know, but thought it would be worth asking for some advice - Any and all is appreciated!

Basically, with the run up to christmas, me and my partner have been ordering a few presents online (at it's busiest been about one parcel per working week, so I wouldn't say it's unreasonable, but certainly more than usual) and they've been sent via royal mail - However, both me and my partner work during the week so they've been carded by royal mail.

Last saturday, the postman knocked on the door and asked why he's suddenly had to start delivering parcels, and what the point of ordering them is if we're not home to collect them. He said it's an "severe inconvenience" for him as the neighbors aren't in to sign for them either so he has to carry the parcel around for the rest of his shift. So he asked if we could simply stop ordering things online or leave a front window open so he could drop them through that instead.

As I've been burgled before in a previous address, I am slightly paranoid when it comes to security, so I told him we'd try to cut down on orders. Yesterday, a parcel came and he left it in my shed in the garden and left a note saying:

"1 parcel left in shed at back of garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU HAVE GOT TO LEAVE YOU WINDOW OPEN THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS"

It's only been (max) 1 parcel a week, I understand that he has to carry a parcel around with him, but what can I do? Am I being unreasonable? What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks guys and gurls
Community Updates
Misc
78 Comments
WTF! Its his job!

just tell him to always deliver parcels on a saturday only

everyone's happy then!
keep the note and go and see the sorting office manager and tell him whats going on.
Tell him to put up and shut up... Order as much as you like! That's what he is getting paid for!

think how my postie feels he has to walk up to the 3rd floor to deliver stuff and sometimes i have around 5 things a week, its their job for christ sake so personally i would have a "nice" word with him or send a letter to head office about him.
start ordering lots of freebies and free mags etc (then recycle) give him more to do.

complain, that is unprofessional, its his job, don't care if he doesn't like it, tough.

wow, i think the postman is 1st off missing a point, he is paid to deliver post and should shut his cakehole and do just that,

i mean for example the way it works round here is the postwoman would deliver the small packages and anythign bigger or a larger amount would be delivered by a man in a van, with ebay work etc i have been delivered sacks full up before now, just saturday was such a day. My first port of call would be complaining to royal mail customer services & then to the sorting office if needs be
Lazy git!
Make a complaint as he is being a dick!
If you are so keen on security why are you leaving a shed unlocked in the first place?
I think that is terrible he has no right to speak to you like that, I order everything online my poor posti has to deliver usualy 1 parcel per day and never moans even when I am not in, I think you should get on to his boss and make a seroius complaint at the end of the day its his job to deliver items (parcels and letters) and with christmas coming up it is obvious he is going to get more items to deliver and tbh if he feels like that he should be doing that job plenty of people would be glad of that job.
Sorry but I don't believe for one minute that he asked you to stop ordering stuff or leave your window open.
No way.
id order more loads of cheap big things
deek72

Sorry but I don't believe for one minute that he asked you to stop … Sorry but I don't believe for one minute that he asked you to stop ordering stuff or leave your window open.No way.

Postmen are bad people
DLM

Postmen are bad people

Bad, maybe. But this thread is just ridiculous. Why is op posting this here? If it were true they would have already been round to the sorting office with the note left in the shed and said postie would be signing on.
I think it's your postie that's being unreasonable, not you. That said, I can understand why he'd be irate. Posties are under ridiculous pressure, and having to repeatedly attempt to deliver packages to you when you aren't going to be in is only going to make his job harder. I doubt he minds delivering them to you, just taking them back when he can't deliver them.

Anyhow, I suppose there is the option to complain. His managers will have words with him, and he won't write you angry notes again. This does seem a little like biting the hand that feeds, though. Can you have companies deliver to your work address instead? Failing that, it might be easier to leave on the delivery notes a little line to say "Please leave parcel at DO and card me when it's ready to be picked up", or something along those lines.
deek72

Bad, maybe. But this thread is just ridiculous. Why is op posting this … Bad, maybe. But this thread is just ridiculous. Why is op posting this here? If it were true they would have already been round to the sorting office with the note left in the shed and said postie would be signing on.

Some people are not as assertive as us (_;)
love how rude and abrupt people in this forum are getting (maybe they're posties!)

I'd say this is totally not on, always remember when someone pushes you, push back twice as hard.
Tell him it's his job and if he doesn't like carrying and delivering to find another, then make a formal complaint about him and get online and get ordering tons of heavy items
Thanks for the support guys, I was starting to think maybe I was in the wrong!
To get to our shed, he had to get past a gate which has a bolt lock (but as with most gates, you can shake it open relatively easily), and the shed was locked with this but I must have stupidly left the code in it the night before .

I was genuinely surprised saturday when he asked us to open a window or stop ordering, I must say he didn't speak aggressively or rudely or anything, he just said that we're one of the only familes that order parcels every week, so it's a severe inconvenience for him to carry a parcel around for his shift when he knows he can't drop it off anywhere.

I think I may just catch him this saturday and ask him if it's possible just to deliver parcels saturday's, or try and sort something out with royal mail - As DXX said, they're under a lot of pressure and I don't want him jobless or anything, I just wanted to post on here before doing anything as I didn't want to do anything that seemed unreasonable - If everyone said 'Yeah, I've got similar arrangement's with my postman, what's your problem?' or 'He's just trying to do his job and deliver parcels, and not you're not in cards' I'd complain a lot less likely!

Thanks for all the support and advice though everyone, it's genuinely very much appreciated
Edited by: "Calzone" 18th Oct 2011
i would take the card to the sorting office and make a complaint. His behaviour is unprofessional to say the least. My postie is lovely i hope you get a better one next time x
order lots of free bulky crap then refuse delivery,
but i would tell him to start job hunting then wink
I've had dozens through this past week or two, no complaint from our postie.
My postie drops my parcels through my window, so it is a possibility he did ask the OP to do this.
I trust my postie and he does all he can to avoid taking my parcel back to sorting office, for both our convienience.
OP i would put in a complaint.
Saying that I wouldn't be bothered about collecting from the depot if they just delivered a card everytime.
so he broke in too? nice..
Calzone

Thanks for the support guys, I was starting to think maybe I was in the … Thanks for the support guys, I was starting to think maybe I was in the wrong!To get to our shed, he had to get past a gate which has a bolt lock (but as with most gates, you can shake it open relatively easily), and the shed was locked with this but I must have stupidly left the code in it the night before .I was genuinely surprised saturday when he asked us to open a window or stop ordering, I must say he didn't speak aggressively or rudely or anything, he just said that we're one of the only familes that order parcels every week, so it's a severe inconvenience for him to carry a parcel around for his shift when he knows he can't drop it off anywhere.I think I may just catch him this saturday and ask him if it's possible just to deliver parcels saturday's, or try and sort something out with royal mail!

A postman who doesn't like parcels X)
I smell BS
beth3735

My postie drops my parcels through my window, so it is a possibility he … My postie drops my parcels through my window, so it is a possibility he did ask the OP to do this. I trust my postie and he does all he can to avoid taking my parcel back to sorting office, for both our convienience. OP i would put in a complaint.

So you leave your windows open while you're out and the house is empty?
dimebars

I smell BS

Hallelujah!!
I agree with dimebars!
The way you describe it it sounds like he is being unprofessional in his response to you and treading on dangerous ground disciplinary-wise I would have thought, but given it is a repeated issue, I don't understand why you are not making sure you are there to accept the parcels, or having them delivered to work or a pick up point so you can fetch them yourself, or making arrangements for a secure delivery box he can access.

Edited by: "Ennui" 18th Oct 2011
What's your address Beth. I just want to make sure your house is safe......
Push the pushy post person in a puddle
deek72

So you leave your windows open while you're out and the house is empty?

Yes we leave living room, and bedroom ones open?! Why you fancy trying to break in?
When I left my keys inside and our door shut I tried shoving through my just 2st odd child through the window! It just wasn't possible. So can't see some scumbag getting through.
dimebars

What's your address Beth. I just want to make sure your house is … What's your address Beth. I just want to make sure your house is safe......

Perfectly safe Considering im home most of the time and if im at work my Husband is home with kids, Night time its closed but then again postie doesn't come then does he!
If a scumbag wants in, they will get in. And when your insurance company realise it's through an open window you're screwed.

Inb4 I was burgled through an open window and insurance aren't paying out

You really are a dimebar!! If i was burgled how the hell would I be able to post a thread if they stole my laptop! Hmmm wake up!

dimebars

If a scumbag wants in, they will get in. And when your insurance company … If a scumbag wants in, they will get in. And when your insurance company realise it's through an open window you're screwed. Inb4 I was burgled through an open window and insurance aren't paying out

beth3735

Yes we leave living room, and bedroom ones open?! Why you fancy trying … Yes we leave living room, and bedroom ones open?! Why you fancy trying to break in?When I left my keys inside and our door shut I tried shoving through my just 2st odd child through the window! It just wasn't possible. So can't see some scumbag getting through.

Not simple, you just haven't seen the size of the window we leave open
Edited by: "beth3735" 18th Oct 2011
beth3735

Perfectly safe Considering im home most of the time and if im at work … Perfectly safe Considering im home most of the time and if im at work my Husband is home with kids, Night time its closed but then again postie doesn't come then does he!

So there is always someone home then? I asked about leaving it open when there's nobody in.
deleted193256
tell him you'll start leaving the window open if first he signs a statement promising to compensate you for everything that that gets robbed as a result of this
Is there nowhere he could leave parcels for you, our postman leaves ours behind our side gate and writes a note on the back of any letter he is posting. This saves him carrying it around and me from having to go to sorting office!
Tell him that it's not "an severe inconvenience" but "a severe inconvenience", other than that I can't see he's doing anything wrong!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants