What to do with sanded down table

Found 30th Oct 2017
We've sanded down our table due to it having a few marks and im stuck as to what to do next.

Last table we used Annie Sloan clear & Dark wax but i think i put to much on and the table felt tacky.

What would be best beeswax or a wood stain? also i sanded it down using 180 grit sandpaper is that enough?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

Original Poster

32337600-sxcEs.jpg

I think 180 grit is pretty rough stuff, what sort of finish to you want as 240 grit also known as flour paper is good but you can go up to 320 grit for between coats. You got a lot higher for finishes.
en.wikipedia.org/wik…per

Bees wax is always a little sticky I think, have you thought about danish oil as it's a lot easier to put on and you can get some food friendly types. I used on my pc desktop table which is and engineer oak sideboard and it worked very well.

what a beautiful table.

Hope this helps

Please post a picture, when finished.

Original Poster

I originally started with a 240 grit but it didn't get out a few marks so went with the 180 which seems to have done the trick, I can't get out all the previous colour due to the grain of the wood.

The oils all look good but there a little light colour wise.

I'm stuck as to what to use
Edited by: "bettz1" 30th Oct 2017

Original Poster

32338507-acszs.jpganyone know what was originally used? Doesn't look like a wax
Edited by: "bettz1" 30th Oct 2017

bettz16 h, 45 m ago

[Image] anyone know what was originally used? Doesn't look like a wax

How did the surface feel originally?

Original Poster

kester766 h, 8 m ago

How did the surface feel originally?

Just felt smooth, reason I ask is because the 2 benches that go with the table are absolutely fine and I was hoping to match the colour back up

bettz14 h, 13 m ago

Just felt smooth, reason I ask is because the 2 benches that go with the …Just felt smooth, reason I ask is because the 2 benches that go with the table are absolutely fine and I was hoping to match the colour back up

I assume you have to remove the excess wax but I guess this contains a stain so will difficult without making it patchy.
Edited by: "kester76" 31st Oct 2017

Original Poster

Would it be worth using stripper to get off the excess stain?

Original Poster

Took part of the table to a local timber yard and the guy there told me it was pine and that i would be best to use a stain, so I've come home with sadolin English oak, he didn't seem keen on using wax or oil

Original Poster

Would it be worth using an 80 grit pad to sand the table back further to get out the remaining varnish?

I'm worried that I'll loose the rustic lines and in grains is I use a lower grit?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions