what to get for Nan's 90th birthday

Found 30th May 2011
Does anyone have any idea what I can get for my Nan's 90th birthday this weekend. She isn't able to leave the house anymore, but does look after herself.
Thanks for any sensible suggestions.
Community Updates
Misc
22 Comments
When you say she cant leave the house any more or is that on her own or at all?

My gran is 88 and can go out if someone takes her and she loves going for meals or drives in the car.
I get my grandparents nice food bits now as they don't need anything. Things like localy made chutneys from the food section at my local garden centre , champagne jams, posh chocs. Baileys always go down well with one of my nans X)
^^ if she's anything like nans I have known they'll be crimbo pressies for someone this christmas.
my mum isnt that old but is so hard to buy for, she normally passes it on lol

old movies on dvd?
How about a magazine subscription to something like Saga or Illustrated gardens...?
Audio books she can listen to
Photos of the family.
Time can be a great present for an older person.
If she would enjoy going out but just cant do it unaided, then yes taking her out may be a good idea.

If she is too infirm for that, again she may welcome time spent with her but maybe you could arrange a home cooked meal.

Many older people, without immediate financial pressures, have no real need for material things and a gift of kindness will go further.
A cardigan, give her a taste of her own medicine lol
Framed canvas prints of old photos
Hissy Miss

When you say she cant leave the house any more or is that on her own or … When you say she cant leave the house any more or is that on her own or at all?My gran is 88 and can go out if someone takes her and she loves going for meals or drives in the car.

she can't go out on her own, and wont use her wheel chair so has to be forced out of the house. we have arranged a meal out but would like to get something more exciting than flowers for her really.
thanks everyone, she is a technophob so i ahve given up on dvd's and cd's, they never get used. i did think about getting bedding but how thrilling is that for a 90 year old?
patience_1

How about a magazine subscription to something like Saga or Illustrated … How about a magazine subscription to something like Saga or Illustrated gardens...? Audio books she can listen toPhotos of the family.

I agree with the photo album lol, could fill it etc. My uncle got my Grandma a calendar for christmas with pictures of her and my baby cousin on, so cute.
photo's are always good, i found my nan's old wedding photo(black and white), scanned it, coloured it in on computer and got it printed/framed.

or if you want something easier look at places like RNIB for useful/practical idea's

rnib.org.uk/SHO…spx

I did similar for my 80+ parents a few years ago i found an old wedding photo of theirs, i restored it by removing all the selotape marks and scratches, coloured it with info from my auntie then had it printed to canvas. It was the best present i could have Given to my Mum, she cried when she saw it...

athunder

photo's are always good, i found my nan's old wedding photo(black and … photo's are always good, i found my nan's old wedding photo(black and white), scanned it, coloured it in on computer and got it printed/framed.or if you want something easier look at places like RNIB for useful/practical idea'shttp://www.rnib.org.uk/SHOP/Pages/home.aspx

Edited by: "mosskeeto" 30th May 2011
Maybe you could set her up with a digital photoframe? Get all your photos on this and she can look at them until her heart is content?
I bought my dad a digital photoframe and he loves it, usually do him a hamper of lots of goodies.
I was going to say a digital frame too

If shes anything like my grandparents she will never ask for help with things like gardening or cleaning, why not make up some silly vouchers like cutting her grass, cleaning up, a foot or hand massage.. It might be easier for her to 'cash-in' her voucher, than ask you.. Pride and all that.. Why not make up a hamper of nice treats too and stick the vouchers in with it?
A record player maybe, source some of her favorite records?
A budgie!? (not sure how she can cope with letting it out and cleaning up though?)
I think she'd probably rather spend time with family, have ppl round more etc, than have something fancy.
I used to make up hampers for my hubbies nan, smellies for her birthday & mothers day and book hampers for Christmas, she loved them, more so the books as she was an avid reader , she used to love St ives and Avon vanilla body creams,
my sister in law used to make up Marks & Spencers hampers with foods, sweets, biscuits, nan wasnt fussed on them lol waste of money same as Asda & Tesco sell without the fancy packing.
we've done the hampers for the last 11 years right up until she passed at 99 years old, she used to tell me which st ives and avon stuff to buy lol
thanks everyone, i bought her a digital frame last year which went down well. i have decided on a breville hot cup, so she wont have to pick up the kettle anymore. hopefully she will like it. lots of 'normal' bits too smellies and goodies etc.
thsnks again.
a contribution towards the coffin...
dose ur nan use fixident,or polygrip,can never have enough of that when u get old,or maybe some money towards next years winter bill being as there going up again
deleted265520
A nursing home. Preferably one in Winterbourne, Bristol.

Was that too much?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants