Groups

what to look for when buying a used ps3?

I have no idea about PS3s, so don't really know what to look for.

I wanted to get a cheap one to play a few exclusive games on, but don't really know what I should be looking for or what to avoid.
    Is there a certain model that's more likely to have issues?
    Should I avoid certain models etc?

I don't mind buying a YLOD PS3 to fix up and use.

9 Comments

Check the seal hasn't been broken on the original fat ones.

Original Poster

IamMT

Check the seal hasn't been broken on the original fat ones.

I'd do that normally, but I think I'd need to break the seal to do any fixes anyway.
    I guess having an untouched seal would give peace of mind.

teh arn

I'd do that normally, but I think I'd need to break the seal to do any … I'd do that normally, but I think I'd need to break the seal to do any fixes anyway.I guess having an untouched seal would give peace of mind.

At least you'd know you're the first person in to it... instead of the previous owner bodging a repair and selling it on to you.

If you get one from Game you get a 12 month guarantee.

Original Poster

mazyaman

If you get one from Game you get a 12 month guarantee.

Not looking to spend that much to be honest, maybe £50 max.

teh arn

Not looking to spend that much to be honest, maybe £50 max.

that's cool, but don't cut your nose off to spite your face, that's my only advice mate.

Original Poster

mazyaman

that's cool, but don't cut your nose off to spite your face, that's my … that's cool, but don't cut your nose off to spite your face, that's my only advice mate.

It's either buy one now for a lower price and fix anything that's needed, or pay a higher price (double) for an older model (Or just wait for them to drop a bit more)
    Can't justify paying £100 for a ps3.

If your local game has 40gb/80gb/160gb there £39.99 used until Sunday then back up to £49.99 just depends what's in stock =)

Original Poster

chavkiller

If your local game has 40gb/80gb/160gb there £39.99 used until Sunday … If your local game has 40gb/80gb/160gb there £39.99 used until Sunday then back up to £49.99 just depends what's in stock =)

Might take a look; no local Game stores around here though, they were all closed because they thought it would be a great idea to have 3 in the same town center.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1122
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick1010

See more discussions