Expired

What to see in Manchester?

Found 21st Jul 2017
Hi guys,
Quick question. Moved to Cheshire a while back, Manchester is not far away on the train - have been meaning to visit / walk around over the weekend myself. What might be the few places I've got to see in Manchester? Have been there previously for work conference; visiting the cinema / shopping, going out with friends, etc - though mostly with friends - would really like to map a few places and see it myself. Ideas welcomed.

Thanks
Community Updates
15 Comments
If you like football the Footy Museum is (mostly) free and worth a visit
The imperial war museum at Salford quays is interesting and free.
People on spice mainly
Old Trafford of course. Afflecks palace if it's still open? Football museum. General Architecture. Tram to Heaton Park in Bury/Middleton. Can't think of out else
Gylachester
The museum of science and industry is good. I went to the Christmas markets last December and although it was really crowded, you could see the architecture around the city is lovely. The town hall is stunning. The city is worth just wandering around unscripted for a day.
Media city. The Lowry. Imperial war museum. Salford quays. Coronation Street. Mosi. Football museum.
Northern quarter ,Victoria station ,Trafford centre ,curry mile if you like a curry
If you like his books, you can visit the International Anthony Burgess Foundation in Cambridge St.
The train station as you are leaving it.
The Northern Quarter well worth a visit. The Spinningfields Makers Market which is on monthly, 3rd weekend of every month is worth a look as well.
All of the above...and make sure you go for lunch in Koreana!
I enjoy visiting Manchester Art Gallery to see the Victorian paintings.

If you’re interested in history then I think that it’s worth visiting Chetham's Library.

library.chethams.com/

From Wikipedia, “Chetham's was the meeting place of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels when Marx visited Manchester in the summer of 1845. The economics books Marx was reading at the time can be seen on a shelf in the library, as can the window seat where Marx and Engels would meet. The research they undertook during this series of visits to the library led ultimately to their work on The Communist Manifesto.”

When we visited Chetham’s a few summers ago, some of the adjoining medieval buildings were also open, so we had a good nosy around.

The inside of Manchester Town Hall is worth seeing. In the past, you could just wonder around inside. I think though with an increased emphasis on security these days it probably better to look out for an open day. Heritage Open Days events run each September. They offer a great opportunity to visit places that are normally closed to the plebs.

heritageopendays.org.uk/
Welcome to Cheshire. Where have you moved to? I'm in Cheshire too!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants