What TV should I buy? £500 budget | Curved, smart, 4k?

Found 19th Oct 2015
Hey all,

I have been looking recently at upgrading a 7 year old Sony Bravia 26 inch tv I have for a new slightly bigger tv. I have decided something like 40/42 is a nice size, while anything bigger is too big, while 32 is too small for what I would like.

I feel daunted by the amount of different types of tv we have at the moment. Is a cheap 4k better than a standard smart hd samsung from 3 years ago for example?

What I use: I have recently got a PS4 so game on there casually now and again few times a week - also watch Netflix on there. I also use my MacBook for hdmi to download and watch movies/tv shows too.

What is the best option for me as I feel like I need to narrow it down somehow, and ideally to a specific good deal.

Thanks in advance (and hope this is the right place to post as I haven't posed on here in years).

1. Ask
  2. TV
  3. 4K TV
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. TV
  3. 4K TV
10 Comments

argos have a 48" curved smart TV for £499 bargain

Personally I don't see what the attraction is with a curved tv! Most people look at a tv screen head on without missing anything at either side of the screen' obviously a curved TV must have its advantages over the traditional type - I'm just not sure of any!

With a £500 budget you should be able to buy either a 4K resolution unit with smart features ( internet etc ) or a non 4K resolution TV with a great picture and smart features - personally I'd suggest Costco or John Lewis as you get as standard the 5 year warranty included!

42" is too small for a 4k screen unless you're sitting a lot closer to it.
rtings.com/tv/…fbb
42" 4k is 4ft or 1.22m better get your opera glasses out

About curved TVs
trustedreviews.com/opi…ons
I'd probably go for a 47" 1080p smart TV as at normal sitting distances you're not going to see any advantages unless you buy a larger TV.

pennyfarthing88

Personally I don't see what the attraction is with a curved tv! Most … Personally I don't see what the attraction is with a curved tv! Most people look at a tv screen head on without missing anything at either side of the screen' obviously a curved TV must have its advantages over the traditional type - I'm just not sure of any!With a £500 budget you should be able to buy either a 4K resolution unit with smart features ( internet etc ) or a non 4K resolution TV with a great picture and smart features - personally I'd suggest Costco or John Lewis as you get as standard the 5 year warranty included!

Hopefully smart tvs have improved in the last few years. I foolishly bough an lg TV for £900, is still a great TV. But the smart features are useless. A chrome cast out does them with speed and utility.

Get a TV for picture, and buy a core cast.

4k would have to be from a reliable company. Has to have a good refresh rate at 4k. But mainly colours would be your main aim of you go 4k.

If you're going standard. I doubt curved screens are good for sharing a TV. I'd rather a curved monitor since I'll be the only one using it. But a curved TV, I doubt my friends would appreciate sitting at the edges and getting a poor experience.

I agree with Kos1c - get the tv with the best picture not for it's features.

I've seen a demo of a top of the range full HD tv next to a same brand 4k lower spec screen and the full HD screen blew the 4K one away.

Original Poster

Ok thanks for the replies so far.

I guess the "best picture" is what I want. So in this instance what am I best to look for?

Judging from this curved and 4k aren't worth it for me, so I'll discount that from my search.

If I see a good deal on here, how would I know whether to go for it? What are good indications to look out for a good picture without that sounding too obvious as a question?

biker14

Ok thanks for the replies so far.I guess the "best picture" is what I … Ok thanks for the replies so far.I guess the "best picture" is what I want. So in this instance what am I best to look for?Judging from this curved and 4k aren't worth it for me, so I'll discount that from my search.If I see a good deal on here, how would I know whether to go for it? What are good indications to look out for a good picture without that sounding too obvious as a question?

Depends on what you're going to use the set for but these guides should help

cnet.com/uk/…de/
tomsguide.com/us/…tml
Get a price match on John Lewis website as they give free extended warranty.

Really you are looking for something that looks and sounds good to you. Don't expect miracles from TV speakers though. A lot of people pay a fortune on a state of the art TV and complain about its audio. Slim TVs give poor bass. You really need either a home theatre or a soundbar for most TVs.

Original Poster

kester76

Depends on what you're going to use the set for but these guides should … Depends on what you're going to use the set for but these guides should helphttp://www.cnet.com/uk/topics/tvs/buying-guide/http://www.tomsguide.com/us/hdtv-buying-tips,review-2288.htmlGet a price match on John Lewis website as they give free extended warranty.Really you are looking for something that looks and sounds good to you. Don't expect miracles from TV speakers though. A lot of people pay a fortune on a state of the art TV and complain about its audio. Slim TVs give poor bass. You really need either a home theatre or a soundbar for most TVs.

Great shall look through that.

I spent a few hundred on a stereo system a few years back so audio isn't a concern for me.

biker14

Great shall look through that.I spent a few hundred on a stereo system a … Great shall look through that.I spent a few hundred on a stereo system a few years back so audio isn't a concern for me.

A centre speaker does come in handy as it breaks the audio away from the action. I'd recommend looking into it if you system is only set for stereo at the moment.
Post a comment
@
    Text