What TV should I buy, LCD or Plasma?

Banned 24 replies
Found 6th Apr 2009
I'm a but stuck with what to buy, I am limited to CDiscount as I have approx £500 in voucher codes to use up so am looking at the Samsung 50" plasma, but am a little qorried about it not being 1080p....Will it make a huge difference? Or should I get a smaller TV? max budget £800ish

Any ideas?

Thanks

24 Comments

oh lawd

Plasma. Panasonic. Nuff said.

I would say full HD is necessary for 50", anything over 42", depending on your viewing distance etc. and you will notice the difference.

Plasma will display SD better than LCD, what are planning on putting through it?

And yeah, just buy the new 42" Panasonic. Not sure if CDiscount stock it though

Original Poster Banned

Foxy102;4847275

Plasma. Panasonic. Nuff said.

None on CDiscount....doesn't help

Original Poster Banned

sancho1983;4847277

I would say full HD is necessary for 50", anything over 42", depending on … I would say full HD is necessary for 50", anything over 42", depending on your viewing distance etc. and you will notice the difference.Plasma will display SD better than LCD, what are planning on putting through it?

Will have my PS3, SKY HD, TViX Media Player and Samsung Upscaling DVD surround System.....

You'd probably be ok with LCD then :thumbsup:

i'm feeling deja vu

Original Poster Banned

sancho1983;4847311

You'd probably be ok with LCD then :thumbsup:

I already have 42" LCD, bought it a few weeks back, made by polaroid, big mistake, it's pants... I was in Currys and saw a Samsung Plasma which looked mint.... but am stuck with whther to buy a 50" without it being 1080p

LCD TVs require backlighting at all times. Hence, to display blacks, pixels are covered even with the backlight on. Inevitable light seepage will occur which means blacks will not be true blacks. Plasma TVs have the ability to switch off individual pixels resulting in true blacks. What this means that pictures on a plasma offer better contrast than LCD TVs.

LCD TVs weigh less and the technology allows for smaller pixels which is why LCD TVs can display higher resolutions than plasma TVs within a given screen size. LCD TVs use less energy too. Energy inefficient plasma TVs are to be phased out under EU directives due to the amount of energy used.

Plasma TVs allow for better viewing angles because each pixel is illuminated.

Organic LED is just around the corner if you are interested. OLED overcomes some of the shortfalls of LCD displays as they are thinner, use self-illuminating pixels (eschewing the need for energy hungry backlight) and allow for similar viewing angles as plasma displays.

Zootaga;4847328

I already have 42" LCD, bought it a few weeks back, made by polaroid, big … I already have 42" LCD, bought it a few weeks back, made by polaroid, big mistake, it's pants... I was in Currys and saw a Samsung Plasma which looked mint.... but am stuck with whther to buy a 50" without it being 1080p

Samsungs in Currys always look 'mint' because the majority of them are showing cartoons or other media that will make the panel shine - plus the fact they are all set up to display 'Dynamic' picture settings.

Zootaga;4847328

I already have 42" LCD, bought it a few weeks back, made by polaroid, big … I already have 42" LCD, bought it a few weeks back, made by polaroid, big mistake, it's pants... I was in Currys and saw a Samsung Plasma which looked mint.... but am stuck with whther to buy a 50" without it being 1080p

You've not long bought a 42" and now you want a 50" plasma? you should just give me some money as you obviously have plenty.... :thumbsup:

And i agree about the setup in Currys, they either have terrible analogue feed, or Cars on Blu-Ray, which will look awesome on most sets

1080p is nice but not essential.
i doubt you'd find many ordinary folk who on two 50"s would tell you the difference between 720p and 1080p if they were showing the same thing.

720 is fine.
how often do you use your ps3 to watch blu ray discs?
if hardly ever and you prefer sky hd and normal sd tv, 720p is more than enough.

oh and in Currys we HAVE to set the tvs on standard mode not dynamic.
store rules

I thought Plasma was the only way to go untill my CRT went
pearshaped and I had to start using my Toshiba LCD which
I was just using for HD.Freeview looked pants on it.However
after adjusting the user settings have got to say the Freeview
picture looks better than it did on the CRT.The only faults are
1.did not tune in analogue 2 unresponsive remote and 3 you can
not rearrange the channels ie all the BBC ChannelsOnly 32 inch so this might not be the case with larger screens
42 inch +.I'm not so certain to go for Plasma next myself now and
may go for a 37"LCD.

Dellboy2;4847909
I thought Plasma was the only way to go untill my CRT went
pearshaped and I had to start using my Toshiba LCD which
I was just using for HD.Freeview looked pants on it.However
after adjusting the user settings have got to say the Freeview
picture looks better than it did on the CRT.The only faults are
1.did not tune in analogue 2 unresponsive remote and 3 you can
not rearrange the channels ie all the BBC ChannelsOnly 32 inch so this might not be the case with larger screens
42 inch +.I'm not so certain to go for Plasma next myself now and
may go for a 37"LCD.

The problems you experienced isn't due to the LCD screen.

1. Tuner calibration is the cause of your analogue tuning problems.
2. Unresponsive remote control is due to factors such as battery, the sensitivity of the remote sensor but NOT the LCD screen.
3. Channel re-arrangement is due to the software in the TV.

ElliottC;4847953

The problems you experienced isn't due to the LCD screen.1. Tuner … The problems you experienced isn't due to the LCD screen.1. Tuner calibration is the cause of your analogue tuning problems.2. Unresponsive remote control is due to factors such as battery, the sensitivity of the remote sensor but NOT the LCD screen.3. Channel re-arrangement is due to the software in the TV.

Not to bothered about the analogue it was not great on the Sony integrated anyway
and as before use the recorder for 1-5 if watching digital and eg say record ITV.
Remote has been the same since day one.
Is that Channel software across the
board on all lcd/plasma's?or just certain brands.Never seems to have that info when
looking at various models.I will probably go Panasonic,Sony,or Toshiba next but that is
a major pain not being able to rearrange channels as on the sony crt before.

Dellboy2;4848168

Not to bothered about the analogue it was not great on the Sony … Not to bothered about the analogue it was not great on the Sony integrated anywayand as before use the recorder for 1-5 if watching digital and eg say record ITV.Remote has been the same since day one.Is that Channel software across theboard on all lcd/plasma's?or just certain brands.Never seems to have that info whenlooking at various models.I will probably go Panasonic,Sony,or Toshiba next but that isa major pain not being able to rearrange channels as on the sony crt before.

All TVs have software built in. Some TVs (plasma and LCD) do not have the required software to allow rearrangement of channel order. The budget brands tend to suffer from poorly written software or very limited software.

Comparing LCD to Plasma is apples and oranges. They work in totally different ways.

A 720p Plasma will look MILES better than a 720p LCD of the same size.
In fact, a 720p Plasma will look better than the majority of 1080p LCDs out there.

Not just for SD, but HD content too.

If you really want full HD (1080p), then for about £850 you can get the 50PG4500 - a 50" 1080p Plasma panel.

comwales.com/esh…423

Otherwise, consider the 50PG6000 (1366 x 768 panel) for about £700 - digitaldirect.co.uk/lg/…tml. I can personally vouch for the latter in terms of image quality!

moob;4847373

Samsungs in Currys always look 'mint' because the majority of them are … Samsungs in Currys always look 'mint' because the majority of them are showing cartoons or other media that will make the panel shine - plus the fact they are all set up to display 'Dynamic' picture settings.

in my experience cartoons and anime are a good way of testing colour banding and saturation and can show deficencies in the panel, most samsungs have a terrible factory setting of really high colour so can look ghastly in shops

ElliottC;4848247

All TVs have software built in. Some TVs (plasma and LCD) do not have the … All TVs have software built in. Some TVs (plasma and LCD) do not have the required software to allow rearrangement of channel order. The budget brands tend to suffer from poorly written software or very limited software.

That will be it then,its only the budget AV505 .
Thanks a lot for the info:thumbsup:

Yeah mate but cartoons are not representative of most viewing content most folk watch. They look eye catching and pretty and are used to attract those who know nothing about displays.

moob;4848941

Yeah mate but cartoons are not representative of most viewing content … Yeah mate but cartoons are not representative of most viewing content most folk watch. They look eye catching and pretty and are used to attract those who know nothing about displays.

if you mean pixar type CG stuff i see a lot of that - not so much traditional cartoons, just saying traditional cartoons/anime are a good way of showing certain things about a display so could be handy to view when deciding on set, that and fast motion etc

Don't worry about 1080P, no broadcasters ( Sky, Freeview, Freesat or Virgin ) use that format, nor are they likely to.

Inactive;4850508

Don't worry about 1080P, no broadcasters ( Sky, Freeview, Freesat or … Don't worry about 1080P, no broadcasters ( Sky, Freeview, Freesat or Virgin ) use that format, nor are they likely to.

Blu ray players and PCs do though.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54415467
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522885
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604830
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314660

See more discussions