What type of smoke alarm do I need for a utility room?

Found 23rd Feb 2016
Not sure if I need one in the utility room where the tumble dryer is used, had a look online but there are so many different types such as heat, optical, ionisation etc. Any reccomendations?
Community Updates
10 Comments
A utility room smoke alarm.
Certain ones are quicker at detecting different type of fires. Ionisation for smoldering type fires (probably the type with a tumble dryer), heat for flame type fires and I believe optical a medium between both.
Edited by: "Argoj" 23rd Feb 2016
If you have a hotpoint, creda or indesit tumble dryer.. get as many as you can.
Even after the repair, the problem is not sorted. I am doing all my drying in the laundrette.
I doubt a normal one will do - for instance I have 4 throughout the house ,but if I leave the bathroom door open the steam sets it off , likewise if I iron in the front room the steam sets that one off . I would presume (even if vented to the outside ) that the tumbler would still set the alarm off . Try one of your other smoke alarms in there whilst tumbling ,see if it goes off due to the steam .
just to note that if your boiler is in utility then a carbon monoxide detector is also required.
You need a heat detector as an ionisation will get set off by condensation. (I would like to say that I gave you the advice but I've no idea... Luckily My other half is an electrician and he knows! Lol!)
shabbird

If you have a hotpoint, creda or indesit tumble dryer.. get as many as … If you have a hotpoint, creda or indesit tumble dryer.. get as many as you can. :(Even after the repair, the problem is not sorted. I am doing all my drying in the laundrette.

Correct if your drier is inde**** id probably ask one of your neighbours if you can use it at theirs lol

Edited by moderator: "Feb 23, 2016 20:36" 23rd Feb 2016
missleading

That's a problem with poor ventilation and poor siting of the alarm, … That's a problem with poor ventilation and poor siting of the alarm, surely?

Totally concur - but when your bathroom is at the top of the stairs - not much choice . I do know the difference between smoke and steam , my alarm doesn't - Just trying to give guidance as to why a smoke alarm may not work in the said situation .
Just hope the child who voted down my previous comment doesn't have a house or kids ! Some people you just cannot help That's HUKD for you !
Edited by: "rogparki" 23rd Feb 2016
just buy a standard smoke detector from b and q and attach it to the ceiling outside your utility room unless thats your kitchen, dont use the dryer when your not in and dont use it when your in bed. you could contact your local fire service and ask if they still do the home safety assessments, if they do they will call and fit some for free, if they dont do the home safety assessments they will always give good advice
Edited by: "ding" 23rd Feb 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions