Groups
    EXPIRED

What type of travel insurance should I get?

There's always different levels of insurance and I don't expect anything to happen - none ever does - but how do you decide between which policy to go for and which level? I don't have any pre-existing conditions, and also I don't have a clue! Any tips would be appreciates!

5 Comments

I just pick it based on the activities I'll be doing. If it's a trip that's got some dangerous activites etc then I'd consider upping the coverage but otherwise standard seems fine for most anything. I'd always consider the excess for the policy as if you've had a problem last thing you want is a big bill for the excess when you're already going to be miserable after needing to use your travel insurance while on your holiday.

Original Poster

Astec123

I just pick it based on the activities I'll be doing. If it's a trip … I just pick it based on the activities I'll be doing. If it's a trip that's got some dangerous activites etc then I'd consider upping the coverage but otherwise standard seems fine for most anything. I'd always consider the excess for the policy as if you've had a problem last thing you want is a big bill for the excess when you're already going to be miserable after needing to use your travel insurance while on your holiday.

Thanks, sound advice!

It's better to get some cover. Depending on where you go, will depend on what cover you need. Europe is covered by the ECIS card (hopefully that is right) whereas the USA is a higher cost for travel insurance as there health system is so expensive.

I took out Insurance in 1996 for a trip to the Philippines never thinking we would need it as I was visiting family there but we went to an island for New Year and my ex husband was very ill after swimming in sea that had a certain type of algae! The GP on the island spoke some English and I had to look after an infusion he set up, change the fluid bags and keep an eye on him. We had to pay him the next day and claim it back from the insurance company and it was approx £800! You just never know when it can come in handy.

Original Poster

I've always had cover, I really think it is essential but as my old policy is up i've been looking at new ones and I'd just forgotten how many options there are. The ECIS is great but only covers healthcare and there are other things such as luggage loss etc, but they're generally covered on all policies. Thanks for your input!

All good advice above.
    I would add that with insurance, I now research feedback on the quality of service should you need to claim. Some are easier to deal with than others.
    I can recommend Staysure as trouble free for claims.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. which drill bit set for bosch cordless drill ixo range? hex?11
      2. GP Vaccinations: telling patient they are out of stock and go private44
      3. Has your £2.50 Topcashback been paid from the last offer?22
      4. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2027

See more discussions