What used car to buy??

Posted 29th Jun
Help!!
I have a 100 mile daily commute and am in need of a newish car. I don't really have a budget as such but would like to spend around £8k and under 5yrs old if possible. Having been to a couple of dealers I have been shown a couple of 308's, a Mégane... I have ruled out Insignia's as I want a smaller family sized car. I am feeling very underwhelmed and confused at the moment.... to the point where I have been looking at BMW's and Mercs around the £12k mark!! My wife would kill me if I spent that much!!

Any suggestions on what would give the wow factor, whilst not breaking the bank?

many thanks in anticipation...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
If you want the wow factor then rule out the 308 and the megane
18 Comments
You could pick up a nice Passat CC for that price!
If you want the wow factor then rule out the 308 and the megane
41241129.jpg

Job done ! Solid car cheap repairs , for the money you get a very well spec car .
Edited by: "ashmac" 29th Jun
He's ruled out an insignia due to size and a Mondeo or CC are the same size.

What about a Hyundai Veloster? Decent on the motorway, a bit of style and within budget, although somewhat older than your requirements (2012-2014).

Or the Peugeot RCZ, but again they stopped making that in 2015.

How about a DS3? They look quite nice with a contrasting roof and plenty within age and budget. Sold under Citroen at first then their own brand, so they can sometimes be listed in different sections of car sale sites.

Mazdas are always worth a look. I'd go for a Mazda 6 but it doesn't come in hatchback form so it's as long as a 308 or Megane estate, which is still smaller than an insignia (it's also available as a saloon of the same length, but who wants a tiny boot lid?).

You could buy a smaller car with character like an Ignis or Twingo GT/Forfour Brabus. That would certainly tick the newish box.
If you want something reliable I would avoid anything French imho
Thanks for the comments so far... Liked the look of the VW CC, and have always been a fan of the Mazda 6. The biggest issue is that I don't seem to get the selection of cars down here in Plymouth to drive the prices down. The offerings locally don't seem to offer premium at an affordable price :/
Have you considered Volvo? Rock solid, super reliable, reasonable running costs with a bunch of tech
srb_29/06/2020 13:04

Have you considered Volvo? Rock solid, super reliable, reasonable running …Have you considered Volvo? Rock solid, super reliable, reasonable running costs with a bunch of tech

The v40 looks a nice car
The audi a3 is a well built car and feels nice to drive ideal for a smaller family car
The Audi is definitely a contender, as it just about fits in the price range I could stomach!! Most appear to be around £9k with high mileage (85,000+) Anything similar to the A3 worth considering?
ding29/06/2020 13:06

The v40 looks a nice car

I have a V40 16 reg Auto, its ok but I wouldnt buy one again.
I much prefered driving Seat Leon 14 reg DSG, it felt much newer than the volvo and handled and drove much better, and i got 25% more mpg, even though the volvo is two years newer.
Try motorpoint - they’re pretty good and you can play about with filters if mileage etc is a priority. If you’re in Plymouth avoid Vospers like the plague, I reserved a car through them last summer (2018 Ford Focus estate) and had it delivered to Exeter - the car was battered and unroadworthy, it had been in an accident and they had glued the split rear tyre to avoid having to replace it. Still wanted me to pay full price, didn’t want to do any of the repairs and offered me a tank of fuel as compo. Needless to say, my money was better spent elsewhere!
Volvo are going to have a event 03/07 - 06/07 will offer 0% on New & Approved used cars, 2yr service £199.00 & 2yr warranty.
I had a Seat Leon FR as a company car. It covered over 100k miles and was great fun to drive. You can pick one up for around £8k with reasonable mileage and equipment. A quick autotrader search found this: autotrader.co.uk/cla…e=1
shelliebish29/06/2020 13:36

Try motorpoint - they’re pretty good and you can play about with filters i …Try motorpoint - they’re pretty good and you can play about with filters if mileage etc is a priority. If you’re in Plymouth avoid Vospers like the plague, I reserved a car through them last summer (2018 Ford Focus estate) and had it delivered to Exeter - the car was battered and unroadworthy, it had been in an accident and they had glued the split rear tyre to avoid having to replace it. Still wanted me to pay full price, didn’t want to do any of the repairs and offered me a tank of fuel as compo. Needless to say, my money was better spent elsewhere!

You forgot to mention they could ask one of their family members a million questions every day for 6 months about which car to get!
You ruled out Insignias, what about the Astra?

The problem I always find is that the larger cars are often cheaper. I think it's because the smaller family cars seem a lot more popular, so the Focus, Astra, that sort of thing. Even my current car, a Skoda Superb, worked out cheaper than the equivalent spec and year Octavia and not far off the Fabia.

And on the subject of Skoda, you can get a whole lot of Skoda for the same price as a VW or Audi, and it'll share most of the parts (except for the badges of course!). I can't consider my car to have that much of a wow factor, but it's a beige estate so it was never going to turn heads!!

Our neighbours have got a Leon and a Golf on one side, and a 308 GT-line on the other. All nice cars, but at the moment I think you'd struggle to get any of them for 8K and < 5 years old. Once things go back to normal then you might have better luck. The rest of the street are BMW's more or less, either company cars or leased (there's a definite three year trade-in vibe going on with them).
stuartbaker8029/06/2020 17:22

You forgot to mention they could ask one of their family members a million …You forgot to mention they could ask one of their family members a million questions every day for 6 months about which car to get!

Can’t beat the power of helpful family members when looking for a new car! And a new laptop or anything else that might come in handy!
Civics are great car, solid as a nut.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants