What varnish or other product will I need

Posted 6th May
hi there I have got some doors i think they are called finished oak veneer door similar too the picture,
3457506.jpgI wanted too match the skirting boards , with these what will be the best varnish too use, will it be light oak coloured the skirting boards are pine, so lighter colour than the doors as currently so can't use clear varnish.

also what filler can I use too hide the screw holes. with shop restrictions and Covid19 I don't want go too a shop too match up many thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
For filler something like this if in the pine skirting and you have an off cut you could countersink the holes then cut a plug to fill the hole and trim flush with this
Edited by: "7ommy.78" 6th May
7ommy.7806/05/2020 14:12

For filler something like this if in the fine skirting and you have an off …For filler something like this if in the fine skirting and you have an off cut you could countersink the holes then cut a plug to fill the hole and trim flush with this

Thanks any idea for varnish too use for best colour match/type of varnish.
40657475-qHg30.jpgI used this on my doors.
40657475-TWWdN.jpg
Most door manufacturers will tell you to use a hard wax oil like Osmo or Fiddes. Using a varnish or Danish oil may void the warranty.
themorgatron06/05/2020 18:13

Most door manufacturers will tell you to use a hard wax oil like Osmo or …Most door manufacturers will tell you to use a hard wax oil like Osmo or Fiddes. Using a varnish or Danish oil may void the warranty.

They're planning to stain/varnish the skirting boards not the actual doors, but you are correct about not altering the original door coating and invalidating the warranty.
matthews947906/05/2020 15:13

[Image] I used this on my doors.[Image]

Will this be good too turn the pine skirting similar looking too the doors they look similiar colour as my doors,doi need varnish them. I thought it doesn't need any more coats.
MynameisM06/05/2020 18:26

Will this be good too turn the pine skirting similar looking too the doors …Will this be good too turn the pine skirting similar looking too the doors they look similiar colour as my doors,doi need varnish them. I thought it doesn't need any more coats.

It won't change the colour much it works in the same kind of way as varnish so no need for both.
Light oak would be the colour of the stain to go for but I personally wouldn't attempt to match as pine is a very different wood to oak - a more open grain as well as knots.
Van197306/05/2020 20:58

Light oak would be the colour of the stain to go for but I personally …Light oak would be the colour of the stain to go for but I personally wouldn't attempt to match as pine is a very different wood to oak - a more open grain as well as knots.

I just want too match the colour, or do you think white gloss paint would look better not sure what too go for.
MynameisM07/05/2020 17:14

I just want too match the colour, or do you think white gloss paint would …I just want too match the colour, or do you think white gloss paint would look better not sure what too go for.

I personally would go for white gloss - think the white gloss on the architrave above looks a good compliment to the oak doors. Also simplifies having to fill screw holes etc with a matching wood filler.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions