Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

What was the best game on your school computers?

Posted 27th Jun
mine was Championship Manager: Season 97/98
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
10 PRINT "HELLO"
20 GOTO 10
thewrecker747727/06/2020 20:14

What a game Also Manic Miner[Image]

I remember that (along with Frogger, Horace goes skiing, Horace and the spiders, Paperboy and Ghost hunter with the weird voices are the ones that spring to mind) on my old Spectrum 48 with the rubber keyboard, later upgraded to the 128+2 with built in tape player, 10 minute loading times, the screeching noises as it loaded and then failed to load after 9 minutes. The 50 games on one cassette where you had to start it loading at the right point using the counter reel on the tape player, swapping games with mates or borrowing them from the library and copying them on high speed dubbing using the stereo system. I and everyone I know who had spectrum's had massive drawers full of cassettes with games on, very few what was originals. Every time I went into Woolworths I had a look in the 99p bargain bin for new games. The good old days.
44 Comments
Quake arena
Gangsters Paradise

I don't even remember now what the game was about but it had raids etc and levels.
Drag Racer
10 PRINT "HELLO"
20 GOTO 10
Played mainly miniclip games helicopter game free kick fusion
The pinball one with windows as well
"school computers"?
On school computers it was for sure “copters”, but we were limited by what we could play back in the day
My school computers had a 5.5 inch floppy drive where you had to turn a latch down over the slot to keep it in place. Then you would go and have lunch and when you came back the software will have just about loaded.

Games were not even available yet.

Then it was Luna Lander a couple years later.
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 27th Jun
harlzter27/06/2020 19:52

chuckie egg on a BBC Micro

What a game Also Manic Miner
41228079-RE0W2.jpg
Some bbc micro roleplay thing where it was an election?....
Two years doing computer studies at school in the early 80s and we didn’t have a computer in the school!
Frankie7727/06/2020 19:46

10 PRINT "HELLO"20 GOTO 10

That was enough to still keep us in awe over the weekend
gsnares27/06/2020 20:16

Some bbc micro roleplay thing where it was an election?....

I have a vague memory of something similar. And then we got some RM Nimbus machines, running Windows 1.x(?) when I was in 6th year? A year later I was at uni, and they had QL's with 3.5" floppy drives, and x86 machines running DR-DOS and GEM.
Edited by: "alg" 27th Jun
thewrecker747727/06/2020 20:14

What a game Also Manic Miner[Image]

I remember that (along with Frogger, Horace goes skiing, Horace and the spiders, Paperboy and Ghost hunter with the weird voices are the ones that spring to mind) on my old Spectrum 48 with the rubber keyboard, later upgraded to the 128+2 with built in tape player, 10 minute loading times, the screeching noises as it loaded and then failed to load after 9 minutes. The 50 games on one cassette where you had to start it loading at the right point using the counter reel on the tape player, swapping games with mates or borrowing them from the library and copying them on high speed dubbing using the stereo system. I and everyone I know who had spectrum's had massive drawers full of cassettes with games on, very few what was originals. Every time I went into Woolworths I had a look in the 99p bargain bin for new games. The good old days.
IamMT27/06/2020 20:27

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1537

That's the one well done IamMT. Thanks
Edited by: "gsnares" 27th Jun
Robert Baggio feee kick
We had RM nimbus computers and we used to plain snake, trains and grannys garden!! We thought these were great in the 80's!!
harlzter27/06/2020 20:31

I remember that (along with Frogger, Horace goes skiing, Horace and the …I remember that (along with Frogger, Horace goes skiing, Horace and the spiders, Paperboy and Ghost hunter with the weird voices are the ones that spring to mind) on my old Spectrum 48 with the rubber keyboard, later upgraded to the 128+2 with built in tape player, 10 minute loading times, the screeching noises as it loaded and then failed to load after 9 minutes. The 50 games on one cassette where you had to start it loading at the right point using the counter reel on the tape player, swapping games with mates or borrowing them from the library and copying them on high speed dubbing using the stereo system. I and everyone I know who had spectrum's had massive drawers full of cassettes with games on, very few what was originals. Every time I went into Woolworths I had a look in the 99p bargain bin for new games. The good old days.

Still got my rubber button keyboard speccy & a proper keyboard where you could put the speccy internals into, thermal printer, other accessories of which i forget, loads of games all in the loft. I also had the zx81 with a massive 16kb of memory, swapped it for bike
richp27/06/2020 21:27

Still got my rubber button keyboard speccy & a proper keyboard where you …Still got my rubber button keyboard speccy & a proper keyboard where you could put the speccy internals into, thermal printer, other accessories of which i forget, loads of games all in the loft. I also had the zx81 with a massive 16kb of memory, swapped it for bike

I still have my 128k+ with a box of original games and manual. Wish I still had my pile of Crash, Your Sinclair magazines. I remember coding 'free' games from them.
Frankie7727/06/2020 21:33

I still have my 128k+ with a box of original games and manual. Wish I …I still have my 128k+ with a box of original games and manual. Wish I still had my pile of Crash, Your Sinclair magazines. I remember coding 'free' games from them.

Spending hours typing a game in from a magazine & it not running because a comma or space was missing. If I remember I think they released some games on a bendy vinyl record.
harlzter27/06/2020 20:31

I remember that (along with Frogger, Horace goes skiing, Horace and the …I remember that (along with Frogger, Horace goes skiing, Horace and the spiders, Paperboy and Ghost hunter with the weird voices are the ones that spring to mind) on my old Spectrum 48 with the rubber keyboard, later upgraded to the 128+2 with built in tape player, 10 minute loading times, the screeching noises as it loaded and then failed to load after 9 minutes. The 50 games on one cassette where you had to start it loading at the right point using the counter reel on the tape player, swapping games with mates or borrowing them from the library and copying them on high speed dubbing using the stereo system. I and everyone I know who had spectrum's had massive drawers full of cassettes with games on, very few what was originals. Every time I went into Woolworths I had a look in the 99p bargain bin for new games. The good old days.

I had the one with the tape player. I think you're being very generous with the 10 min loading times And people moan that loading times are bad in this day and age iirc, it was the spectrum that had one of my favourite game series - Dizzy
41228907-fXfbO.jpg
Bricks on a ZX Spectrum
deleted5655

Shell oil on calculator. Hours of amusement
Frankie7727/06/2020 21:33

I still have my 128k+ with a box of original games and manual. Wish I …I still have my 128k+ with a box of original games and manual. Wish I still had my pile of Crash, Your Sinclair magazines. I remember coding 'free' games from them.

Same here. Difference is I do still have a large box of Spectrum magazines, mainly about 3 years worth of Crash, salvaged from my late grandmother's spare bedroom. Reading through them feels just like yesterday, not 35 years ago!
1-0 haha
Chess, BBC Acorn computer
xenophon27/06/2020 22:56

Same here. Difference is I do still have a large box of Spectrum …Same here. Difference is I do still have a large box of Spectrum magazines, mainly about 3 years worth of Crash, salvaged from my late grandmother's spare bedroom. Reading through them feels just like yesterday, not 35 years ago!

Darn, I left mine somewhere through various house moves during the years. Loved the demo tapes we used to get attached. Just to see their monthly magazine appear in my local R S McColls. Heaven.
Hitman, worms can't remember any others.
Duke nukem
Candy floss or Monkey Island
zx81
3D Monster Maze
Mazogs
Scramble
Horace goes skiing

BBC Electron
Hopper
Planetoid
Rocket Raid
My school got a research machines computer on a trolley and a BBC micro they kept in a computer cupboard, while I was in the 6th form.

I got to look at the BBC computer once, the only game I recall playing was watching a substitute teacher getting increasingly frustrated trying to get a program to load from 5 1/4" floppy on the RM for most of the lesson and waiting until they finally gave up, then mentioning that my brother had an Atari 800xl at home with the same type of drive and suggesting they might try turning the latch on the front of the drive that lowers the head and spindle

The Atari was much better for games than anything the school had, but I also used to pop down to the arcades along the seafront, as it was a lot cheaper than buying games as I could make 10p last a very long time if I was any good at them.
Edited by: "melted" 28th Jun
I didn't play this in school, but I'd love to play cube jumper again (America's greatest 3d arcade hits)
Repton on the BBC Micro
Zombini’s
also nags horse raceing bet game and dope warz a sell drugs game
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants