What was your 1st car? Great motor or big mistake?

Found 23rd Jul
I bought a 10yr old 1.1l punto. As a typical lad I thought I was Nigel Mansell.
I got 3 years out of it and it only cost me tyres and brakes (and a wing mirror, not my fault ). Good little motor.
Community Updates
AskHome & LivingCar
Top comments
deleted1132166
A rover montego. Piile of junk. When it rained water came through window seals. Hated roads loved garages.
It had only done 24,000 miles.
I bought another car and the rover sat on the drive for several years.
All attempts to sell it failed. I put an advertisement in autotader and had little interest.
2 months after the ad had expired a chap rang me out of the blue at 10 pm.
" You still got that Rover mate"
Was I about to get rid of it!!!
I replied " yea mate"

To which he replied " I'm not f***ing surprised and duly hung up.
1978 vw polo 1.0
£100 notes with a years mot. I sold it a year later with no mot for £50.

It was a complete shed but it was fun. The petrol tank leaked if you put it over 1/4 tank, its handbrake didn't work, and it smoked like hell.

Theese days your lucky to see young people in older cars. Most have mummy and daddy buying them or prefer to spend all their wages on a car they will never own.
26 Comments
I bought a 1.3 vw golf gl mk 1 for 250 quid. It was absolutely beautiful. It's radiator let me down once on a long motorway journey. And i finally got rid of it after some idiot crashed into the back of it whilst it was parked up at night and just drove off. If i still had it today I am sure it would be worth considerably more.
1.2 corsa, famous for being boring but for some reason I loved it, used to deep clean it every week
The_Stinger2 m ago

1.2 corsa, famous for being boring but for some reason I loved it, used to …1.2 corsa, famous for being boring but for some reason I loved it, used to deep clean it every week

Ha ha i did that. Have to take car of your pride and joy.
I stopped after about a month lol
1978 vw polo 1.0
£100 notes with a years mot. I sold it a year later with no mot for £50.

It was a complete shed but it was fun. The petrol tank leaked if you put it over 1/4 tank, its handbrake didn't work, and it smoked like hell.

Theese days your lucky to see young people in older cars. Most have mummy and daddy buying them or prefer to spend all their wages on a car they will never own.
MonkeysUncle58 m ago

1978 vw polo 1.0£100 notes with a years mot. I sold it a year later with …1978 vw polo 1.0£100 notes with a years mot. I sold it a year later with no mot for £50.It was a complete shed but it was fun. The petrol tank leaked if you put it over 1/4 tank, its handbrake didn't work, and it smoked like hell.Theese days your lucky to see young people in older cars. Most have mummy and daddy buying them or prefer to spend all their wages on a car they will never own.

I would blame that on the insurance costs. Old banger + young driver = extortion
1996 rover 414. Got it off my uncle for free but had to spend a few hundred getting it fixed. A bit of a grandad car but still loved it, until the typical head gasket went...
deleted1132166
A rover montego. Piile of junk. When it rained water came through window seals. Hated roads loved garages.
It had only done 24,000 miles.
I bought another car and the rover sat on the drive for several years.
All attempts to sell it failed. I put an advertisement in autotader and had little interest.
2 months after the ad had expired a chap rang me out of the blue at 10 pm.
" You still got that Rover mate"
Was I about to get rid of it!!!
I replied " yea mate"

To which he replied " I'm not f***ing surprised and duly hung up.
I bought a 1st gen renault clio RL. Right rust bucket, had to take about 40 screws out, most of the dash board and the disconnect the speedo to change the dash lights. Longest clutch cable ever as it looped around the car and was prone to snapping. Had the reseal the aerial as it was letting water into the over head light. Glad when I traded it in for my rio verde corsa.
deleted113216623rd Jul

A rover montego. Piile of junk. When it rained water came through window …A rover montego. Piile of junk. When it rained water came through window seals. Hated roads loved garages.It had only done 24,000 miles.I bought another car and the rover sat on the drive for several years.All attempts to sell it failed. I put an advertisement in autotader and had little interest.2 months after the ad had expired a chap rang me out of the blue at 10 pm." You still got that Rover mate"Was I about to get rid of it!!!I replied " yea mate" To which he replied " I'm not f***ing surprised and duly hung up.

Sorry! I didn't realize it was 10 PM!
A renault 11. Then a nissan bluebird then a citroen ax diesel. All second hand bangers but couldn't aford much in the 90s!
deleted1132166
gcmarcal33 m ago

Sorry! I didn't realize it was 10 PM!

It's still sat on drive and it's still very low mileage.
Sold as seen though, actually just buy it before looking at it.
Late starter here at 42 as always had motorbikes/scooters but first car was a Peugeot 206 1.4 bought last December for £400 insurance came in at £900 for year (ouch) upgraded in February (and sold the Peugeot for £450 )to a modified VW Beetle (classic not new style) that cost me just £300 fully comp with an agreed value of £4000 34462147-HaPFw.jpg

Saw it randomly on eBay and initially though WTF is that, but kept going back to look at listing which had a few days left and offered him the start price if I could collect next day which he surprisingly accepted, it had been off the road 9 years being restored (new floor pans, new interior, respray etc) only to find that being near central London and heavy stand still traffic that an air-cooled engine didn't work too well. Driving home from London to Chesterfield was fun took me 5 hours as i got lost and my phone died (so no sat nav), ended up somehow going round the far side of London (google location history showed me I had done an extra 100 miles). Been offered double what I paid if I wanted to sell her on more than one occasion.

Between what I sold the Peugeot for and saved on insurance (and tax) after a year of ownership it will have more than paid for itself.
Edited by: "harlzter" 23rd Jul
Skoda Felicia. Was a proper skip on wheels.

Closed the door, Handle fell off, Adjusted seat the adjuster fell off.

Brake light switch was faulty, Fuel filter was leaking.

Bought for £150 thought it was good as it'd only got 20k on it. Sold it for £20 and bought a Cavalier for £250.
I had a Ford Fiesta Mk3 you could only fill it up to 3/4 as the petrol tank had a hole in it. I had it 6 months before it failed its MOT and was donated to the Local fire station for practice
Triumph Toledo. I can remember changing shock absorber spring and didn't have a compressor so just used a jack inside a drain to compress the spring, tied it up with string then cut the string when it was in situ. Next car was an Auto Mini and I remember holding a spanner to a bolt head on the transverse engine whilst my mate turned over the engine so we could undo it. Next vehicle was a van that I had 5 days. Drove cabin through width restriction but the box didn't quite fit (most probably my poor driving skills tbh). Dumped it over a field and had police around the house a week later telling me to get the thing off the filed. It was the first my old man knew about the van. I just hope my 16 year old isn't quite as clueless as I was.
I am the typical female who ignored a red warning light and melted the pistons (I think). One garage talked about it needing a new engine but my regular mechanic sorted it. This was after it had been in a garage and they had cracked something and my doodah leaked water so the car overheated. It was so long ago so I can't remember exactly what everything was called but I always bought a Haynes Manual from Halfords. This was my last car and bought by a mechanic for his son. They did a test drive and I was so pleased my car behaved and they bought it! I honestly thought it would break down as I had no end of trouble with it - the citroen AX dieasel.
BIG Mistake : Getting married...

Second big mistake: Rover 75. Spend a fortune on it and drove less than 500 miles.

deleted113216623rd Jul

It's still sat on drive and it's still very low mileage. Sold as seen …It's still sat on drive and it's still very low mileage. Sold as seen though, actually just buy it before looking at it.

Please post a photo for us
It's depressing if you search for the same model for sale on eBay etc. Theres a mk1 polo for £3500
V reg (first time round) Toyota corolla.
Ford 100E Popular 1962 model, I bought it in '68 can't remember what I paid for it. Drove all over the country in it and it was mostly enjoyable but used a hell of a lot of oil. The only problem was it wasn't an easy drive in Winter, if you had the lights and heater on the vacuum wipers hardly moved. It was identical to this, same colour too.

34464165-IcR7T.jpg
MK 1 Vauxhall Cavalier, man did I love that car , bought it when I was 17 and sold it on about 6 years later when I got given a company car . The only car I wish I'd kept , radiator leaked regularly , the manual choke was a ...... , but it was a standout colour , with a bonnet made for sitting on in the sun wherever you ended up , impossible not to love.
V reg Clio for £950 had 3+ learner drivers including myself but ok nick.
Exhaust fell off after doing a 250mile trip, speedo started to random stop working, the head lights would randomly flick off and the sun roof developed a leak.
Cam belt snapped but an learner mechanic friend got it running again.
Would just about do 70 on the motorway but shuck a fair bit.

In the end it was the headlights not working which failed the mot.
Sold it to someone for £75 to runaround a field.
Brand New Citroen Saxo 1.6VTR, only because it was £250 down, £200 (few odds) per month, off course a stupid ballon payment but it did come with three years insurance, the insurance at the time on anything sub £1K was the same monthly payment I was paying for the brand new car (never mind unexpected bills). Followed by a Clio with another three years free, 6 years before my first insurance which then was a Renualt Laguna 3.0L V6....which was the worst car I ever owned in times of reliability, the other two never missed a beat. After that a Mazda 3 MPS (kinda first Ford Focus ST), then I found Alfa and onto me 4th Alfa now with never anything gone wrong.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 23rd Jul
My first car was a Mondeo estate, it blew up after a month (engine). Second car caught fire and gave me second degree burns (had to have skin graft). Damn renaults.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants