Groups

What will play MOV files?

Windows media player wont and neither will GOM ( which i was surprised at).

Rep for something that works. thank you.

19 Comments

VLC has excellent media support including MOV.

John

quicktime

When ever there is a Windows media Player thread, people always jump in with "get VLC"

lol

ChipSticks;6760821

When ever there is a Windows media Player thread, people always jump in … When ever there is a Windows media Player thread, people always jump in with "get VLC"lol

That's because it works!!

Johnmcl7;6760816

VLC has excellent media support including MOV.John

+1 VLC plays practically anything I think

sancho1983;6760828

That's because it works!!

Maybe it does, but the fanboys can get boring, especially when someone just asks a simple Q about WMP, lol

Original Poster

Thanks got vlc on the download will try that first as used to have quicktime but its horrible dont like it at all lol. Thank you guys. :thumbsup:

ChipSticks;6760821

When ever there is a Windows media Player thread, people always jump in … When ever there is a Windows media Player thread, people always jump in with "get VLC"lol

As VLC offers a varied range of codec support which is very easy to use (particularly as it requires no separate codecs) then I fail to see where the problem is in making such a recommendation. While it's possible to add more codecs to Windows media player, I find the Quicktime alternative doesn't work that well and the more codecs there are on the system, the more chance there is of conflict.

John

Original Poster

ChipSticks;6760847

Maybe it does, but the fanboys can get boring, especially when someone … Maybe it does, but the fanboys can get boring, especially when someone just asks a simple Q about WMP, lol

actually i asked what would play the MOV files i have :thumbsup:

ChipSticks;6760821

why mess about with WMP, when theres VLC

ChipSticks;6760847

Maybe it does, but the fanboys can get boring, especially when someone … Maybe it does, but the fanboys can get boring, especially when someone just asks a simple Q about WMP, lol

actually the question wasn't about WMP it was about .MOV and what will play it ;-):thumbsup:

You can actually just rename the .mov files to .mpg and they play fine without the need for Quicktime.

scott1295;6760868

actually i asked what would play the MOV files i have :thumbsup:

+1

You also have the option of ]QuickTime Alternative / Lite - then you can use Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player.

ChipSticks;6760847

What gets boring is people adding non-constructive nonsense to a thread when they haven't even read the question properly- there are no fanboys here apart from your bizarre anti-VLC crusade, you've not actually offered any possible WMP solution. I'm not a fanboy of VLC or anything like it, although there are codecs available for Windows Media Player that allow it to play .mov files they can be frequently problematic especially if there are already codec packs installed on the PC.

As VLC is free, lightweight, can run off a USB drive and does not require any codec installs it's likely to provide a far quicker and easier solution to many media play back issues hence the frequent and entirely justified recommendations for the software.

John

Johnmcl7;6760974

What gets boring is people adding non-constructive nonsense to a thread … What gets boring is people adding non-constructive nonsense to a thread when they haven't even read the question properly- there are no fanboys here apart from your bizarre anti-VLC crusade, you've not actually offered any possible WMP solution. I'm not a fanboy of VLC or anything like it, although there are codecs available for Windows Media Player that allow it to play .mov files they can be frequently problematic especially if there are already codec packs installed on the PC. As VLC is free, lightweight, can run off a USB drive and does not require any codec installs it's likely to provide a far quicker and easier solution to many media play back issues hence the frequent and entirely justified recommendations for the software.John

LOL... :thumbsup:

Johnmcl7;6760974

What gets boring is people adding non-constructive nonsense to a thread … What gets boring is people adding non-constructive nonsense to a thread when they haven't even read the question properly- there are no fanboys here apart from your bizarre anti-VLC crusade, you've not actually offered any possible WMP solution. I'm not a fanboy of VLC or anything like it, although there are codecs available for Windows Media Player that allow it to play .mov files they can be frequently problematic especially if there are already codec packs installed on the PC. As VLC is free, lightweight, can run off a USB drive and does not require any codec installs it's likely to provide a far quicker and easier solution to many media play back issues hence the frequent and entirely justified recommendations for the software.John

Owned! :lol:

inside101;6760971

You also have the option of ]QuickTime Alternative / Lite - then you can … You also have the option of ]QuickTime Alternative / Lite - then you can use Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player.

I was to say Media Player Classic with K-Lite codec pack.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread422914433
      2. Well Done Turkey, Education improvement1431
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17816341
      4. Toys R Us Warning....2125

See more discussions