What will you do if you use to use grocery bags as bin liners, at 5p?

Found 4th Oct 2015
Ok, here's an odd question:

I use to save my shopping bags to be used as bin liners from the bathroom to kitchen bins and living room to bedroom bins....

With the advent of the 5p per bag - would it work out cheaper to buy it at 5p or better I bulk buy somewhere else. (Suggestion please).. Bear in mind supermarket plastic bags were quite strong!

Please share your money- (and eco) saving waste management tips in your homes.
Community Updates
MiscGroceriesBagBin
122 Comments
It wouldn't surprise me if one and then all of the bigger supermarkets start giving the bags for life for free.
No law to state they can't.
The only bin we have a bin bag in is the kitchen bin. We don't put any food or liquid in the bedroom/bathroom/living room bins and just tip them out into the kitchen bin bag once a week

It's people sending carrier bags to landfill after one use who have prompted the 5p charge to come in
A bit out there but you could always use bin liners oO
aau1

The only bin we have a bin bag in is the kitchen bin. We don't put any … The only bin we have a bin bag in is the kitchen bin. We don't put any food or liquid in the bedroom/bathroom/living room bins and just tip them out into the kitchen bin bag once a weekIt's people sending carrier bags to landfill after one use who have prompted the 5p charge to come in

Do you really believe that or is it just another way to tax the population....
stuarthanley

Do you really believe that or is it just another way to tax the … Do you really believe that or is it just another way to tax the population....

How is it a way to tax the population when the government dont get a penny from it.
Some countries have had some great success out of charging so it can only be good for the environment. Imagine squirrels badgers and owls throwing plastic bags in your garden, be a bit annoying when you think its food and start chewing on them only to get an upset stomach for 6 weeks and sit on the toilet non stop.
In 6 months time all the noiae about paying will have gone away.
bigweapon07

How is it a way to tax the population when the government dont get a … How is it a way to tax the population when the government dont get a penny from it. Some countries have had some great success out of charging so it can only be good for the environment. Imagine squirrels badgers and owls throwing plastic bags in your garden, be a bit annoying when you think its food and start chewing on them only to get an upset stomach for 6 weeks and sit on the toilet non stop.In 6 months time all the noiae about paying will have gone away.

The government do get a slice in the form of VAT
stuarthanley

Do you really believe that or is it just another way to tax the … Do you really believe that or is it just another way to tax the population....

I really believe it. So what if the government gets some extra VAT from it, charities get more benefit and fewer carrier bags will go to landfill
You don't need a strong bag for any other bin than your Kitchen bin as surely there wouldn't be a lot of rubbish in them,so just ordinary bin liners from the supermarket/Home Bargains etc would do.

I haven't used carrier bags for years as they have holes in,crumbs fall out
I have certainly noticed that there are very few carrier bags littering the streets and open spaces since the charge was introduced in Scotland. Lidl have very good, strong, kitchen bin liner bags and Asda have small bags suitable for bathroom bins - all reasonable priced.
aau1

The government do get a slice in the form of VAT

Equates to £36m on current usage. Barely a touch on the needs of the treasury.
And when you take into consideration the reduction in usage and the refunds some companies are doing for recycling then makes it rediculous to suggest its another tax.
Just reuse your bags. It aint hard.
What next... complaints about a 500ml coke being 25p more expensive than its 2l counterpart for convenience?
I think the bigger issue here is why you have bins in all your rooms rather than just the kitchen.
Fill your pockets with your household waste and deposit in supermarket bin on your regular shopping trips. This will negate the need to use expensive carrier bags.

Or just buy a roll of bin liners from the pound shop like the rest of us do. You can buy scented ones if you wish to be frivolous.
Reuse the bags which is the whole point of the 5p charge...
Why are paper bags getting taxed too
the 5p bags are known as single use, it's the 10p ones that are for reusing. Although some shops do quite strong ones and can be used over and over again
Error440

Equality. They are not allowed to discriminate.
as they only 5p at m&s you might as well have the good ones ...
I never thought having a bin in every room was a big issue, I think it's just convenient. I believe Tesco are charging a flat fee of 40p if you have your shopping delivered in carrier bags. Well that will do for me. Sorry I ll still use them as bin liners and throw them away each week. Blimey! refugees on the move everywhere, Russia bombing indiscriminately, landslides killing hundreds... I think a few plastic bags in landfill is not near the top of the world's "let's get it sorted" list.
pinkleponkle

I think the bigger issue here is why you have bins in all your rooms … I think the bigger issue here is why you have bins in all your rooms rather than just the kitchen.

You don't have one in your Bathroom
Haliviel

I never thought having a bin in every room was a big issue, I think it's … I never thought having a bin in every room was a big issue, I think it's just convenient. I believe Tesco are charging a flat fee of 40p if you have your shopping delivered in carrier bags. Well that will do for me. Sorry I ll still use them as bin liners and throw them away each week. Blimey! refugees on the move everywhere, Russia bombing indiscriminately, landslides killing hundreds... I think a few plastic bags in landfill is not near the top of the world's "let's get it sorted" list.

We can all do our little bit,it's still important.
First world problems (_;)
Aldi have charged for carrier bags for a long time .. and as that's our main "go to" shop we always take our own bags (big blue IKEA bags) with us any way ...
arcangel111

Aldi have charged for carrier bags for a long time .. and as that's our … Aldi have charged for carrier bags for a long time .. and as that's our main "go to" shop we always take our own bags (big blue IKEA bags) with us any way ...

Don't most posh people take their own bags to Lidl or Aldi,so nobody knows they shop there X)
that's they they used to do for Netto

I have no qualms about going to Aldi whatsoever
It's quite trendy it seems to shop at Aldi or Lidl nowadays,years ago it was akin to shopping at Kwik Save

"Waits for youngsters to ask,what's Kwik Save ? lol "
haha kwik save was ok ... woe betide if you went to school with a yellow netto bag holding your PE it though !!!
I think if bags are being charged for they should be plain, and if the supermarkets want their advertising on the side of them then they should pay the 5p.

My understanding is that the government gets about 0.83p revenue from each bag then it's up to the retailer to ensure that the balance of the proceeds finds its way to a good cause. It's not compulsory.

Retailers can choose what to do with the proceeds of the charge, but they are expected to donate to good causes.

Rip off
Edited by: "Lyrrad" 4th Oct 2015
deb8z

You don't have one in your Bathroom

You have got to be pretty lazy if you can't take your rubbish to one location. The only rubbish I have in the bathroom comes out of my orifaces into the toilet.
Error440

Yes this kills me when McDonalds charge me for a paper bag,but the laws states they should not be charging me due to having open foods in the bag (french fries) cheeky swine's I tell ya !!
never been charged for paper bag at McD's ?? is this a new thing for them?
arcangel111

never been charged for paper bag at McD's ?? is this a new thing for them?

You will do when the law comes in, like the drive through wasn't slow enough now they hand the food over one at a time.
Edited by: "pinkleponkle" 4th Oct 2015
Kwik save was a dump, only went there for the biscuits, dont have a aldi but went lidl for the Nintendo keyring toys and was totally unimpressed, I think its a shop for people who buy the same stuff week in, week out, I just walked round thinking but thats on a offer at asda at the moment for 30p less, yeah that cereal is cheaper then the 3 supermarkets round me but that other one is currently £1 at tesco so I will stick to that and pepsi is 3 for 2 over the road in iceland so I will get that in there.

the result of course being that after I take my son to school in the morning I walk up to 2 and half miles to the shops where specific basics are cheapest and everything elseis on offers, buying less then £20 worth every shop ( it averages about £12) saving about £2-3 each time because I am that tight arsed. I dont think places like lidl are for people like me.

I have 3 bins in my flat, 2 in the kitchen, regular and recycling and a small one in the living room.
pinkleponkle

You have got to be pretty lazy if you can't take your rubbish to one … You have got to be pretty lazy if you can't take your rubbish to one location. The only rubbish I have in the bathroom comes out of my orifaces into the toilet.

I'd be going d/stairs a lot if I had to take all my Bathroom rubbish downstairs with me,I'm not going to elaborate about what things go in the dustbin X)
deb8z

I'd be going d/stairs a lot if I had to take all my Bathroom rubbish … I'd be going d/stairs a lot if I had to take all my Bathroom rubbish downstairs with me,I'm not going to elaborate about what things go in the dustbin X)

Yeah I forget about cooch soakers, being male I don't make allowances for blood.

Ok I give way on a bathroom bin.
huusshh

Ok, here's an odd question:I use to save my shopping bags to be used as … Ok, here's an odd question:I use to save my shopping bags to be used as bin liners from the bathroom to kitchen bins and living room to bedroom bins....With the advent of the 5p per bag - would it work out cheaper to buy it at 5p or better I bulk buy somewhere else. (Suggestion please).. Bear in mind supermarket plastic bags were quite strong!

Which supermarket are you using? As the bags I am given at various checkouts break very easily.

Once charged for the bags, if they continue to not be fit for purpose, I will be asking for a refund.

Perhaps if enough people do this, & the queue at the respective Customer Services desks impedes progress by others around the stores, then the policy will be re-considered.

huusshh

Please share your money- (and eco) saving waste management tips in your … Please share your money- (and eco) saving waste management tips in your homes.

Dispose of your rubbish at work, or when in somebody else's home.

PS. One of the many threads on this subject:

"Want a free plastic bag....buy a Fish...."

stuarthanley

It wouldn't surprise me if one and then all of the bigger supermarkets … It wouldn't surprise me if one and then all of the bigger supermarkets start giving the bags for life for free.No law to state they can't.

[ economist.com/new…ers ]

"IN 2014 British shoppers took home 8.5 billion single-use carrier bags from big supermarkets. The average household has 40 of them stashed at home. But from October 5th large retailers in England will have to charge at least 5p ($0.08) per bag (in Scotland and Wales the levy already exists). What will be the impact?..."

So,... 8.5 billion single-use carrier bags taken home in 2014. Each household has 40 of them stashed.

[ ons.gov.uk/ons…tml ]

"In 2014 there were 18.6 million families in the UK. Of these, 12.5 million were married couple families. This is the most common family type in the UK...

There were 26.7 million households in the UK in 2014. 28% of these contained only one person..."

26.7 million households x 40 plastic bags = 1,068,000,000 bags.

If the 8.5 billion taken home are all single-use bags, where are the other 7,432,000,000 bags?

Perhaps the answer is to keep the 5p charge, make the bags stronger so they can be reused, & replace them for free if they are returned to the store in a damaged state.

In fact, that sounds just like something stuarthanley mentioned but, in some cases, at half the price of the current "bag for life" purchases.

---

I mentioned in a previous thread that a "money-saving" tip would be to return all those presently stored at home & ask for a refund after the policy to charge for each subsequent bag has begun. 40 stashed bags x 5p refund for each bag would allow you to buy a few "bag of life" replacements.

Also something to consider...

Will Tesco Stores' home-delivery service charge for each bag they use to deliver (single) items to your door? If so, they are going to find their revenue falls even further when the public refuse to pay for the bags.

Delivery times will increase (& the number of customers that can be accommodated per day will decrease) if the delivery driver has to wait for the grocery delivery to be unpacked so the bags can be returned at the doorstep.
I was talking about things like tissues as I have dust allergies & my pc is in a room upstairs so I'm always upstairs,so use the Bathroom bin,and then there's cotton wool when removing make up and nail polish etc,the list is endless
Hmmm why am I justifying a Bathroom bin

"Hangs head in shame"
bigweapon07

How is it a way to tax the population when the government dont get a … How is it a way to tax the population when the government dont get a penny from it. Some countries have had some great success out of charging so it can only be good for the environment. Imagine squirrels badgers and owls throwing plastic bags in your garden, be a bit annoying when you think its food and start chewing on them only to get an upset stomach for 6 weeks and sit on the toilet non stop.In 6 months time all the noiae about paying will have gone away.

Such a strange argument and wrong. The Government get almost 1p in VAT off each.
huusshh

Ok, here's an odd question:I use to save my shopping bags to be used as … Ok, here's an odd question:I use to save my shopping bags to be used as bin liners from the bathroom to kitchen bins and living room to bedroom bins....With the advent of the 5p per bag - would it work out cheaper to buy it at 5p or better I bulk buy somewhere else. (Suggestion please).. Bear in mind supermarket plastic bags were quite strong!

huusshh

Please share your money- (and eco) saving waste management tips in your … Please share your money- (and eco) saving waste management tips in your homes.

stuarthanley

It wouldn't surprise me if one and then all of the bigger supermarkets … It wouldn't surprise me if one and then all of the bigger supermarkets start giving the bags for life for free.No law to state they can't.

So, following your first link:
McDonalds are charging for their paper bags even though it contravenes the rules?
Compo time. Burn myself on an improperly packaged molten McApple pie
Edited by: "SJHan" 4th Oct 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants