Groups

What would be a good first car?

OK, so i have been looking at cars for the last couple of weeks, i have saturated my brain with them! Here are a couple of cars i was thinking of; Renult Clio, Volkswagon Lupo and Ford Focus. Im 17 so it has to be a small car 1.2 engine or 1.4, is there any other cars you would recommened or have you got any views on the ones i have stated?

Budget: £1,000 to max £2,500

Have to say im nto a big fan of KA's!

x

75 Comments

budget? I'd defo avoid French cars!!

the new ford ka looks good , but £7000 so way out of ya budget

used ka

..... i'd stay away from renaults

get a mg zr it has over 100 bhp from a 1.4 sporty feel with a good drive (for a small car)
    can get them v cheep ie there one neer me 04 plate for £2600 with 26000 on the clock,

cheep and cheerful

:thumbsup:

I like Clios, I learnt in one. I drive a KA, it was my first car and has been really reliable for years! Not the most desirable car but it's cheap to insure, relatively nippy and fun to drive because it's so small, and it's pretty safe compared to similar cars (pretty good NCAP rating for its time). Only thing is if you are a mum to be, in my experience, it is rubbish for buggies!

What's your budget?

If funds aren't a problem the Fiat 500 would make a great first car :thumbsup:

Not sure about a Focus though for a first car - it's the biggest car I've driven and is a pain in the backside to manoeuvre at times (3 point turns become 5) and isn't the cheapest for fuel, servicing, tax etc.

KA would be a better bet, dirt cheap to run and some pretty handy deals around...

Edit : just seen you have added a budget, think that rules the 500 out!

German or Japanese cars are generally very reliable. Looked at a VW Polo, Seat Ibiza or Skoda Fabia? (all the same car with different clothes on)

Get One Of These:

http://www.eikongraphia.com/wordpress/wp-content/Bugatti%20Pur%20Sang%20(6).jpg

check out insurance prices before buying, there is variation due to cost of parts etc...

avoid modded cars, cuz they will be in-insurable.

other than that its taste and practicalities (whats on offer, 2/4 seats, manual/automatic, diesel/petrol)

Not the Rover! Look ok, dodgy engines. I'd stick to small fords and vauxhalls personally as German and Jap cars although ultra reliable insurance is generally higher. I'd go look at insurance groups for the cars you fancy before you make any decision..saves being let down.

Tanchi;3963324

Get One Of These:

haha love your taste tanchi!
    im learning to drive and have set my heart on a fiesta for my first car, maybe 05 plate but out of your budget (and probs also mine to hehe) but you could maybe go for one a bit older? im learning in a fiesta and seem a decent enough car

I'd go to Autotrader.co.uk, put your max in at £2.5k, and just see what is available, get a feel for what is a good price etc. It's a buyers market atm for cars and there should be no shortage of suitable cars for you.

I'd agree with sticking to Ford/Vauxhall. Japs cars are the most reliable, but for the same price you'll get a 6 year old jap car as opposed to 4 year old Ford/Vauxhall so it evens out as 4 year old car 'should' be more reliable.

Parkers.co.uk contains good info and help finding a car

Peugeot 306. Good looking, low insurance group, lots of parts available.

I hated KAs but now I've got one I love it. It is actually nippier than the 1.4 Merc A class I used to borrow off my mum. Bigger cars with small engines and low insurance groups can be sluggish.

can't go wrong with a clio. Avoid puntos at all cost

Robotochan;3963309

German or Japanese cars are generally very reliable. Looked at a VW Polo, … German or Japanese cars are generally very reliable. Looked at a VW Polo, Seat Ibiza or Skoda Fabia? (all the same car with different clothes on)

Fabia's a good bet for the budget, they are pretty decent and you'd prob get quite a new one.

makershaker;3963540

Avoid puntos at all cost

Agreed. Some of the newer ones are okish, but for this kinda money any Punto you buy is just going to eat money further down the line.

highguyuk;3963517

Peugeot 306. Good looking, low insurance group, lots of parts available.

I had a 306 DTurbo. You'll need lots of parts for it... :whistling:

StudentJo;3963571

Fabia's a good bet for the budget, they are pretty decent and you'd prob … Fabia's a good bet for the budget, they are pretty decent and you'd prob get quite a new one.

Skodas hold their value better than most budget cars

Like the majority that have posted I can recommend the clio, they are quite well spec'd and look half decent, I would stay away from fiats and peugeots though, definately dont go near the Mg ZR's pretty much summed it up with "Cheap and Cheerful!!" should have added a third word begining with C, I'll let you work out the rest. :thumbsup:

volkswagon

octobergirl;3963795

volkswagon

Hmmm helpful! :whistling:

Vw polo 2000/2001 plate

i hear the lupos are under powered. i have a vw fox and I love it. its my second car the first was a fiat cinquecento which was great to learn in and lasted me 5 years until i sold it for scrap. i would say the smaller the better and as a young person try to find a car with the lowest tax and insurance brackets. my friend had a cleo and loved it. apparently the focus can be a bit of a fuel guzzler!

Ford Focus is a good first car. They tare.

also toyota corolla/starlet.

Banned

mini metro

have you looked into Insurance? might want to tie that in with your budget.
    My son passed his test a couple of years ago and got a 1.2 Clio ... group 2 insurance and still set him back £1400 for fully comp insurance -

being 17 you wont be able to pay monthly

Nissan Micra or possibly one of the last Sunny's.

Can't be beaten for reliability and cost effectiveness in my opinion.

Get a GSXR :thumbsup:
    http://www.motoinfo.it/immagini/nuovo/SuzukiGsxr1000se-G.jpg

Banned

yes please but in Blue http://www.newswheel.com/files/Vauxhall/Astra/vauxhall_Astra_VXR_Nurburgring_edition_2-1.jpg

The Corsa is an obvious choice, plenty of them around to give you some choice within your budget and obviously popular as first cars due to being easy to drive. I'm a bit surprised you've mentioned a Focus as this is a bigger car than the other hatchbacks you've mentioned, I have a friend who has a Focus but his wife doesn't like driving it due to the size (I realise it's not that big a car) and bought herself a Corsa as her first car as it's what she learnt to drive in.

John

ugh please no not the vxr. my stuck up tail of an ex had a blue one and to be honest theyre not that great, the focus st is much better. my said ex was going to get the nurburgring edition until the dealer 'scammed' him apparantly

Banned

donnaraine;3964250

ugh please no not the vxr. my stuck up tail of an ex had a blue one and … ugh please no not the vxr. my stuck up tail of an ex had a blue one and to be honest theyre not that great, the focus st is much better. my said ex was going to get the nurburgring edition until the dealer 'scammed' him apparantly

I am hoping they bring out estate version, I have a 2.0l Sri 170 bhp petrol Astra estate version, and its rather quick :thumbsup:

esq3585;3964156

Get a GSXR :thumbsup:

Wheres the windscreen wipers on this model

WoolyM;3964274

Wheres the windscreen wipers on this model

Just above the ash tray ;-)

dog_cop;3964270

I am hoping they bring out estate version, I have a 2.0l Sri 170 bhp … I am hoping they bring out estate version, I have a 2.0l Sri 170 bhp petrol Astra estate version, and its rather quick :thumbsup:

i dont think they will as its limited to 395? i think, or its something like that

Banned

donnaraine;3964428

i dont think they will as its limited to 395? i think, or its something … i dont think they will as its limited to 395? i think, or its something like that

total pants :x

dog_cop;3964440

total pants :x

actually its 835 lol. my bad

Banned

donnaraine;3964450

actually its 835 lol. my bad

your sacked :thumbsup:

dog_cop;3964461

your sacked :thumbsup:

awwwww. well you didnt know it! (im assuming your a bloke) im a girlie and i knew it! you just dont want a girl knowing more about cars than you hehehehehehehe
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Does the app aznog still work?22
      2. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 233
      3. Virgin Media TV67
      4. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50023

See more discussions