What would you do?

Banned
Scenario: someone I know was somehow left out of the invite for an after work party being paid for by the company.
When that someone queried if he should have received an invite too, there was awkward silence followed by random unrelated non-specific excuses and comments and feet-shuffling all round.
The next day, that someone then received an invite to the after work party along with weak excuse about accidentally being left off the invite list due to oversight.

So, what would YOU do now?
Would you still go?

Pros: free food and drink; making everyone else feel awkward.
Cons: feel like a 'beg friend'; have no dignity

39 Comments

Why would you go? clearly nobody wants you there I say **** them

Inb4 someone says "This person is you isn't it Villa"

Free food and drink? Take some carrier bags with you and fill ya boots.

If I wanted to go, I'd go.

Tell "your friend" to change their deodorant.

I would not go, TBH honest any parties or drinks use to do my head in, I use to spend 8-10 hours with these people then I was expected to go out socially with them as well!

the last thing I ever wanted was invites

There Is No Party X)
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/3328233/there-is-no-spoon-o.gif

Aeschylus

I would not go, TBH honest any parties or drinks use to do my head in, I … I would not go, TBH honest any parties or drinks use to do my head in, I use to spend 8-10 hours with these people then I was expected to go out socially with them as well!the last thing I ever wanted was invites

X) I totally agree with this. And when i have gone to office parties in the past, i find 90% of the people i work with become even more irritating after a few beers.

And don't get me started on the stupid team building days we used to have. Or maybe it's just me getting more miserable the older i get. X)

Tell your friend he needs to reevaluate his attitude to others.

You should go OP, and take your dog with you.

There has to be a reason why this person was "missed" from the list and it's probably "this person's" attitude / persona that has caused this to happen.

As part of a sales team it was almost "part of the duty" to go out and socialize with other sales staff and management BUT like a few others have stated - I get paid to work and 8hrs a day is enough time to be with someone you work with - in most instances I would just go home but occasionally I did go out and party with them.

[email protected]

You should go OP, and take your dog with you.

There Is No Dog
http://hortenseardalan.com/images/black_hole/reality/There-Is-No-Spoon---The-Matrix-(5-9)-Movie-CLIP-(1999)-HD.gif

must be desperate if you are willing to sell your dignity for a few drinks and a plate of food

deeky

There Is No Dog

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/9a/9a54c5a2cd376937bf4f64145674d45cf88be3d14c4b617e2313e898cdca90ee.jpg
but i have the copyright X)

Original Poster Banned

magicbeans

must be desperate if you are willing to sell your dignity for a few … must be desperate if you are willing to sell your dignity for a few drinks and a plate of food

But it's forty quid per head worth of food and booze paid for.
Plus the satisfaction of making everyone else feel awkward now that you've actually turned up.

Also, if you don't go, people may think you are being a sulk or ungrateful.

EDIT: or so I'm told.
Edited by: "Villa" 8th Jan 2015

Send the vicious dog instead.

someone I know

haha

Shengis

haha

Economy of effort X)

i'd go. i have no dignity when it comes to free food and drink. X)

Banned

if I sang out of tune

Banned

mutley1

i'd go. i have no dignity when it comes to free food and drink. X)

Now we know where your dog gets it from

Banned

Go, down a couple of expensive cocktails and a few Jäger bombs, stuff some food in a bag and leave, all to the tune of 'Don't Stop Me Now' by Queen.

And thank the organiser for the invite on the way out in the least sincerest manner possible.

There is probably a good reason they weren't invited.
Your 'friend' either is an a** or doesn't work in the group or team (assuming its a reward event).

Right now your 'friend' has got him/herself in a very awkward situation. Not going would be disrespectful, but going would make it very awkward as they didn't want them there.
imo your 'friend' should speak to the organiser and make up an excuse why they can't come, then evaluate why they were left out and move on.
If your 'friend' insists on going it sounds like they are a "its all about me screw everyone else" type of person which is probably a big part of the problem.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 9th Jan 2015

maybe it was a mistake, think about it everyone would act the same way - uncomfortable and awkward. I would give them the benefit of the doubt and go. If its uncomfortable on the night just make excuses and leave.

Banned

joedastudd

There is probably a good reason they weren't invited.Your 'friend' either … There is probably a good reason they weren't invited.Your 'friend' either is an a** or doesn't work in the group or team (assuming its a reward event).Right now your 'friend' has got him/herself in a very awkward situation. Not going would be disrespectful, but going would make it very awkward as they didn't want them there.imo your 'friend' should speak to the organiser and make up an excuse why they can't come, then evaluate why they were left out and move on.If your 'friend' insists on going it sounds like they are a "its all about me screw everyone else" type of person which is probably a big part of the problem.

If it was an out of work event I can understand not inviting certain people but you just can't discriminate like that for a corporate works do, that's just not fair. After all - they hired them!

KillFelix

If it was an out of work event I can understand not inviting certain … If it was an out of work event I can understand not inviting certain people but you just can't discriminate like that for a corporate works do, that's just not fair. After all - they hired them!

The context is lacking though.
If the event was a reward for a project/goal by say the sales team and this 'friend' works in an unrelated, but close by (location wise) team say accounts. You get what the OP described.

I've heard/seen manager only events, marketing or expo events after drinks/meals for the staff involved and hell the company even pays for all the sales reps and managers to fly out to a resort near the head office in France for a week for team building events.
All paid for by the company.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 9th Jan 2015

Original Poster Banned

This person has advised me that the rest of the attendees are all part of a clique and have worked for the firm for a decade or more.
Furthermore, this person advises that the firm is actually a public sector organisation and this person's way of working is very much private sector orientated which is often at odds with the somewhat more relaxed approach employed by the others at said public sector organisation.

So are you going then?

Give your invitation to a homeless person

Villa

But it's forty quid per head worth of food and booze paid for.Plus the … But it's forty quid per head worth of food and booze paid for.Plus the satisfaction of making everyone else feel awkward now that you've actually turned up.Also, if you don't go, people may think you are being a sulk or ungrateful.EDIT: or so I'm told.

I think you should go.
You sound a hoot to be around.

Original Poster Banned

willhay555

I think you should go.You sound a hoot to be around.

Why would I want to go?

Villa

Furthermore, this person advises that the firm is actually a public … Furthermore, this person advises that the firm is actually a public sector organisation and this person's way of working is very much private sector orientated which is often at odds with the somewhat more relaxed approach employed by the others at said public sector organisation.

Coming from someone who enjoys critiquing other people's grammar I have no idea where to start with that peice

Original Poster Banned

willhay555

Coming from someone who enjoys critiquing other people's grammar I have … Coming from someone who enjoys critiquing other people's grammar I have no idea where to start with that peice

I think you should definitely go.
You sound a hoot to be around.

Original Poster Banned

willhay555

I think you should definitely go.You sound a hoot to be around.

Why would I want to go?

I hate work parties, mainly because I hate seeing work people for longer in my own free time.

However if they had intended not to invite me I'd gate crash the **** out that place. I'd be there just for the fact that they didn't want me there; If it was a private, personal party then fine. A party paid for by the company and everyone's invited except you, AND there's food?

Yes, I will be THAT guy

Anyone that spends more time with their work colleagues and mainly bosses other than in a working environment whether free food is on offer or not is a little on the sad side.

Because of the scenario you was in with your invite i definitely would not attend.

Turn up but take your own pizza and a couple of cans of special brew...really give them something to talk about,!

Original Poster Banned

I will discuss this with the person.
Thanks for the opinions.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Stop everything, Nutella is bringing a biscuit snack to the market - Metro1312
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763948
    3. What an absolute disgrace2150
    4. GOT Leaks again416

See more discussions