Groups

What would you do....?!

Ok friendly HDUK-ers, I know you're a lively bunch who have "interesting" opinions, so I wanted to ask your thoughts on the following.... Not sure if I'm having a mid-life crisis lol, BUT - I was thinking the other day of packing my job in, selling my house and going back to Uni (as a mature student) for 3 years.

Apart from the pros and cons below, there are a couple of other considerations...I have no partner and no family near by to tempt me to stay in this area. I do have a reasonably good job, but it's not a great career...the qualification would hopefully lead to a great career in a subject I've been interested in for a while...

Pros are that I'd be near my sis and her family, would (hopefully!) have a good career once I'd got my degree and be in nice surroundings whilst I do it.

Cons are that I'd have no job, be living in student poverty for 3 years and have a little one to support....

Let the debate commence!!!

24 Comments

consider a part time course?

oh also i think you get more help funding the course from the government (adult learning grant?)
    Personally I'd keep your job and do it part time or OU, even if you have to cut back on your hours
    Also remember that despite the fact you may have a degree, it's not guaranteed entry into the career of your choice, it's still highly competitive for most careers though the fact you've had experience (especially if at all relevant?) means you're more desirable as an employee

And to let you know I just graduated this year ^_^

I say go for it! you dont want to be in a job you hate in 20 years time thinking "if only"

No partner,no ties-just do it!

If you did become full time student, could you get holiday work in the job you do now, what is it?

I think you have to go for it. We only regret the things we did not do in life. Agree nothing guaranteed except you know you will be miserable stayting where you are.

I packed in my job of 10 years to go back to Uni in 1998. It was a good move for me career wise.

You would however need to consider the huge amount of debt you're going to have to deal with later.

Still paying off my student loan 8 years postgrad.

Original Poster

That's sort of what I've been swaying towards as well, but I've always been "sensible" so this is a big, scary step for me - especially with a child's needs to consider...

I have grown to dislike my job more and more over the last 5 years (to the point where I dread going in to work now)... I struggle constantly financially because I earn "too much" to qualify for any benefits (LOL - I wish!!!) and little one's father has fled the country so he doesn't pay any maintenance (little one is only 7)... which is why I thought about giving up my home and renting (I would get housing benefit etc) and being a full time student for a while, in a location closer to my family (we're 2 and a half hours apart) at the moment.

And before anyone starts on about me being a "benefits scrounger", I have worked all my life - I had 3 jobs by the age of 14 and NEVER expected/taken (apart from child benefit) a penny off of the state...the whole point of me considering this degree is so that I will be able to provide a comfortable financial future for little one and myself long term...closer to my family and in a location I love :-)

I went to Uni in my 30s and it was the best thing I ever did. I'd absolutely go for it. I am now in my 50s with a good well paid job that I love. If you have a career that you'd like to follow once you have the degree where's the problem? It's only money and, compared to a life-chaging/enhanciong experience that's nothing. I too was left with student loans (though not as much as people are nowadays) but, once you're enarning more and in a job you love they just become something you have to pay - like your mortgage.
    btw - I was a single parent with 3 kids and I built a career whilst bringing them up, and, yes, it is very frightening but so worthwhile.

i would go for it i loved every bit of uni just finished my masters and will 100% go back in a few years time to complete a phd

i had a lecturer who I got on very well with who told me - a similar story to yours he was in a decent job in advertsing (not what he wanted to do ) and decided to pack it all in and go back to uni in his 30's- 40's he is now lecturing in crime, terrorism and narcotics - he was a good friend and drilled in to me never be unhappy only you can change that so go for it

you might be skint but the end result will keep focussed good luck let us all know what you decide

Trogglescow;8826547

That's sort of what I've been swaying towards as well, but I've always … That's sort of what I've been swaying towards as well, but I've always been "sensible" so this is a big, scary step for me - especially with a child's needs to consider...I have grown to dislike my job more and more over the last 5 years (to the point where I dread going in to work now)... I struggle constantly financially because I earn "too much" to qualify for any benefits (LOL - I wish!!!) and little one's father has fled the country so he doesn't pay any maintenance (little one is only 7)... which is why I thought about giving up my home and renting (I would get housing benefit etc) and being a full time student for a while, in a location closer to my family (we're 2 and a half hours apart) at the moment.And before anyone starts on about me being a "benefits scrounger", I have worked all my life - I had 3 jobs by the age of 14 and NEVER expected/taken (apart from child benefit) a penny off of the state...the whole point of me considering this degree is so that I will be able to provide a comfortable financial future for little one and myself long term...closer to my family and in a location I love :-)

Don't count your chicken on Housing Benefit. If you have a reasonable amount of money from house sale then you may not be eligible for HB!

Have you not considered moving to a part time job, claiming Tax credits etc then doing Open University?

All Uni's have student support / welfare advice. Contact them now and have a chat about what your financial position will be (do not make any decisions until you have done this, don't assume anything where income is concerned, deal only with facts). There are lots of people who try to be helpful but give misleading advice.

Open Uni good idea but can be isolating and it is a lot of work on top of your job AND looking after your little one. Have you mentioned this to your family, how do they feel?

barky;8826210

I say go for it! you dont want to be in a job you hate in 20 years time … I say go for it! you dont want to be in a job you hate in 20 years time thinking "if only"No partner,no ties-just do it!

This ^^^
    moob;8826524

I packed in my job of 10 years to go back to Uni in 1998. It was a good … I packed in my job of 10 years to go back to Uni in 1998. It was a good move for me career wise.You would however need to consider the huge amount of debt you're going to have to deal with later.Still paying off my student loan 8 years postgrad.

This ^^^

Live your life with no regrets, do what your heart tells you, but I think from your comments your mind is made already.

Original Poster

Nope, my mind is definitely not already made up :-) It's a HUGE step, and I could just get a different job - would save me inordinate amount of work/upheaval/student debt/poverty etc lol...no one would take that decision lightly!!!

But thank you for all your comments - keep them coming!! :-)

Original Poster

[QUOTE=iglimpse;8826360]We only regret the things we did not do in life.QUOTE]

err....not entirely true!!!! :whistling:

So you move to another job, not easy in this climate.

Then what ?

Original Poster

Exactly!!! It all stays the same apart from the job! But is the upheaval worth the chance of a better job/career? Oooh I wish I had a crystal ball!!!

Banned

Unless it's medicine or law, I'd stay clear of going back to Uni.

Original Poster

It's psychology...

I did a degree in biology and it certainly paid off for me. I think part of it is making it pay off - once I'd taken the risk it had to work.

Im currently training and studing as Im setting up a business for my daughter ( whos just left 6th form) Ive been disillusioned in my line of work and want out.
    Lifes to short, u have no ties so let nothing hold you back.
    Good Luck

Original Poster

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for sharing their views with me, I really do appreciate hearing other perspectives. I haven't made any decisions yet, but you've given me plenty of food for thought and other options to look at. The only thing I do know for certain, is that something will change!

I've repped you all :-)

JonnyTwoToes;8827997

Unless it's medicine or law, I'd stay clear of going back to Uni.

You said ]THIS the other day and I thought it was rather rude. Today you tell this op not to bother with uni unless it's medicine or law - who exactly is going to manage all the box packers if no-one except you gets an education?
    Or maybe you did do medicine or law and supervising box packers is all you're good for?

OP - good luck whatever you decide. Difficult decisions to be made.

I gave up a job to go to Uni so I'd say go for it - its a great experience and it gives you many more options in the job market BUT bear in mind that with lectures during the day and study in the evening it will have an affect on how much time you can spend with your little one...........

Good luck with whatever you decide....

University is great under certain circumstances. Ask yourself some questions before you consider going into it.

Firstly, what do you want to do with your qualification? Do you have a specific job in mind?

Secondly, are you good at what you are choosing to do? Nowadays it isn't always good enough to get a degree, if you arn't confident you will do well (i.e a 1st or a 2-1), think hard. If you are not sure, take a look at the reading list, or even work on some A-Level stuff.

Make sure it is not a fleeting fancy, your time at uni will suck if you don't enjoy your work.

Also remember that graduate level work is often MUCH more challenging than A-Level.

Ultimately, it comes down to common sense, if you have a passion for your subject and you enjoy learning then university is a wonderful place to be, you will be inundated with with ways to indulge yourself socially and intellectually but if you want to do well you have to love it. No one loves it ALL the time but i think you get my point.

Ask your self: Do i spend my spare time learning this any way? If the answer is no, then look at doing an A-Level or something first, if you still have the drive to study it after that, then Uni is the way!

In essence, all Im saying is be SURE. Its easy to assume that university is automatically going to unlock an amazing career (it wont) and that it will be fun all the time (it wont). I certainly would not recommend studying something at university that you haven't studied quite well already, because it might look more fun than you think.

With all that doom and gloom out of the way, if you do decide that you want to go, it can be an immensely rewarding experience

Just do it. Everything else figures itself out along the way
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Which Kodi Add-ons?1010
      2. Dashcam question511
      3. Just an thought regarding Paypal22
      4. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 234

See more discussions