Groups

What would you do if you found a gun?

Paul Clarke, an ex soldier, spotted a suspicious black bag in his garden. he took it indoors and opened it and found it contained a sawn of shotgun and cartridges. What would you do in that situation? Please answer then read on. Personally I would probably have taken it round to the local nick and hand it in.

That is until I read this story.

Mr Clarke did something similar, He rang the chief superintendant and asked to see him the next morning. At the meeting he took the gun out and handed it over whereupon he was immediately arrested for possession of a firearm.

The case went to court where the Jury found him guilty after it was explained to them that the offence is a strict liablity so good intent is no defence. Mr Clarke now faces a minimum five year sentence.

So now we all know what to do. If I find a gun and ammunition in my garden. I'm keeping it.

49 Comments

Add it to the collection?

Banned

wait till they have a gun amnesity week and on another note, what dock walks into a ploice station with a gun

omg thats crazy

Scratch my private area with it. It will give a new meaning to the phrase "cocked"

i woulda done the same thing but when i took it out i woulda shot the superintendant for being such a idiot then shot myself
    the end

Thats terrible. Commence sense by the jury and the police surely.
    So what happened on the weapons amnesty day.
    Remember when people took all sorts of weapons to the police.
    Guns, Swords, Knifes, etc. None of them got charged for posession.

So when they test the gun and find it was used to rob banks/murder people etc...will he be tried for that as well?

its a great plan for criminals really...use the weapon, put it in someones garden and let them get arrested.

i'd hand it in probably as i have a gun licence and if they came to check on my guns and found an extra one i'd lose the licence.

Thanks for the headsup, I'll be sure to keep it if I found one.

Banned

I can see where they are coming from. why didn't he say i've found a gun what should I do. Say someone went into a police station planning to shot someone, then when caught said I was handing it in ? He shouldn't have been arrested, you can bring a knife into a police station no questions asked, so why not a gun.

Due to the sad state of the UK and as you've highlighted: I'd take it to a lake / river and dump it :thumbsup:

( :? maybe do a quick bank job beforehand, to protect my future finances :roll: )

Why ring the superintendant to arrange a meeting,i fear that was his first mistake:w00t:

Mental.

ryman1000;6907514

I can see where they are coming from. why didn't he say i've found a gun … I can see where they are coming from. why didn't he say i've found a gun what should I do. Say someone went into a police station planning to shot someone, then when caught said I was handing it in ? He shouldn't have been arrested, you can bring a knife into a police station no questions asked, so why not a gun.

Thats what I was thinking! I wouldnt have called the station and made an appointment for the next day! I would have called the police station instantly to say what had happened - and certainly wouldnt have made a journey to the local nick with a sawn off shotgun on my possession

Common sense gone mad again!! Used to work in a police station and we encouraged folk to hand anything like that in.

Banned

deb8z;6907544

Why ring the superintendant to arrange a meeting,i fear that was his … Why ring the superintendant to arrange a meeting,i fear that was his first mistake:w00t:

exactly, what a dock, like i said who the hell walks into a police station with a firearm :roll:

ryman1000;6907514

I can see where they are coming from. why didn't he say i've found a gun … I can see where they are coming from. why didn't he say i've found a gun what should I do. Say someone went into a police station planning to shot someone, then when caught said I was handing it in ? He shouldn't have been arrested, you can bring a knife into a police station no questions asked, so why not a gun.

Bit contradictive isnt it?

tinkers;6907549

Common sense gone mad again!! Used to work in a police station and we … Common sense gone mad again!! Used to work in a police station and we encouraged folk to hand anything like that in.

Yeah but he didn't just hand it in,he arranged a meeting first,the super probably thought he was gonna shoot him:w00t:

Im wondering if there is more to this story than meets the eye? why did he make an appointment with the chief superintendent? and he agreed to see him the very next day with no indication of the nature of the meeting?

Can anyone just make an appointment to see the chief superintendent immediately?

something not right here.

sassie;6907553

exactly, what a dock, like i said who the hell walks into a police … exactly, what a dock, like i said who the hell walks into a police station with a firearm :roll:

http://www.filmbums.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/arnold-schwarzenegger-the-terminator.jpg

deb8z;6907572

Yeah but he didn't just hand it in,he arranged a meeting first,the super … Yeah but he didn't just hand it in,he arranged a meeting first,the super probably thought he was gonna shoot him:w00t:

Yeah that was probably his downfall. :whistling:

As an ex soldier - we were always told that when we had finsihed doing a "live firing exercise" if we happened to find any "live ammo" when we got home we were to return it to the nearest police station - where ( you'll like this ) "nothing further MAY be said" in my books that meant throwing the stuff into the closest river............

not that i ever left a range with "rockets in my pockets, shamoullies in my goulies, live rounds or empty cases in my possession sir !!! "

Original Poster

sassie;6907553

exactly, what a dock, like i said who the hell walks into a police … exactly, what a dock, like i said who the hell walks into a police station with a firearm :roll:

So what would you have done? He wasn't arrested for going the police station with the gun. He was arrested for POSESSION of a firearm. He just would have been arrested in his home instead, if the same people dealt with it, had he arranged for them to come round.

Banned

barky;6907577

Im wondering if there is more to this story than meets the eye? why did … Im wondering if there is more to this story than meets the eye? why did he make an appointment with the chief superintendent? and he agreed to see him the very next day with no indication of the nature of the meeting?Can anyone just make an appointment to see the chief superintendent immediately?something not right here.

yes, all very strange, and him being a soldier too

Banned

peodude;6907599

So what would you have done? He wasn't arrested for going the police … So what would you have done? He wasn't arrested for going the police station with the gun. He was arrested for POSESSION of a firearm. He just would have been arrested in his home instead, if the same people dealt with it, had he arranged for them to come round.

i would have phone the police station immediately and told them, he probs was charged for being in possession of a firearm because of his own stupidity, maybe they actually believed it was his to begin with, who knows

Phone the police.

If you saw a black bin liner in the bottom of your garden would you take it into the house and open it?

The story is crazy.

If you found a strange bag in your garden, would you just take it into your house and open it?! I wouldn't ...

Johniemac;6907492

Thats terrible. Commence sense by the jury and the police surely.So what … Thats terrible. Commence sense by the jury and the police surely.So what happened on the weapons amnesty day.Remember when people took all sorts of weapons to the police.Guns, Swords, Knifes, etc. None of them got charged for posession.

Wait, what?

ClarityofMind;6907637

If you saw a black bin liner in the bottom of your garden would you take … If you saw a black bin liner in the bottom of your garden would you take it into the house and open it?The story is crazy.

I was just typing that! great minds & all that...!

Will get appealed and over-turned fairly soon i would've thought

Laffy42;6907642

If you found a strange bag in your garden, would you just take it into … If you found a strange bag in your garden, would you just take it into your house and open it?! I wouldn't ...

Oh look at me....I wouldn't take strange bags into my house to open!
    I bet you would phone your doctor if you were feeling unwell.....you weirdo!

if the black bin bag contained drugs...what do you think he'd of done? took them to police station and been arrested for posession or sold them on?

this country is f****d up so badly

what about cash and a shotgun? take the cash and hand in the gun? maybe he did that already and knows that he's got a few grand to come out to lol

Laffy42;6907658

I was just typing that! great minds & all that...!

and on finding a gun I certainly wouldn't have TOUCHED it...

but then he's a soldier so maybe it didn't occur to him it is something fearful...

but why on earth would he knowingly put his prints on it??

Unless they were already there and he wanted to obscure that fact?

I'm assuming the jury got way more facts than we do from that story.

Bring back Gene Hunt

J.Dance;6907725

Bring back Gene Hunt

WHO :? is he the brother of Mike :?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. FREE Odeon cinema ticket45
      2. WONGA REFUNDS DUE2121028
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767502
      4. Cat Chat77752

See more discussions