What would you do with £3000?

Posted 7th Nov
Serious question. I have just been gifted £3000 & am starting to think of what I would like to do with it. I really haven't got a clue at the moment.

I would like your advice on life experiences. Just one off events that I can look back on & never regret.

I only ask that you exclude from your replies things like holiday, pay mortgage, nice meal, better car etc.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Nice christmas bonuses for the umpa lumpas
57 Comments
Pay for your funeral..... it will come one day guaranteed. When it comes to the crunch you can have that good feeling that it was paid for many years ago (hopefully)
Nice christmas bonuses for the umpa lumpas
Always bet on black. That’s what Wesley says.
Buy a beach hut?
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 7th Nov
Invest it somewhere
Give it to a small charity. Or put it towards setting up your own charity event.
Save it
Living with a little less debt is more relaxing than anything else, especially later in life. And not having saved this gift will make you regret those one off events.
A watch something like an omega or breitling that you’ll keep fo life
Buy 3k worth of lottery tickets
Buy some equipment to start a new hobby perhaps? e.g. Photography etc
A couple of you have really raised my eyebrows & given me something to think about.

Especially the watch & the photography.

Thanks for your help.
You couldn't do any better than give it to me. I will PM my address. Thanks.
use another £10,000 or more, leave UK for a brighter assured career, weather and lifestyle,

e.g. watch - much more appreciated by very materialistic foreign country
e.g. photography - superior countries which are photogenic.
Travel
If your not sure at the minute, u could put it into premium bonds, might get lucky.
Still get your money back.
deputydog707/11/2019 21:10

If your not sure at the minute, u could put it into premium bonds, might …If your not sure at the minute, u could put it into premium bonds, might get lucky.Still get your money back.

This is the smart thing to do.
Either a new bike or a 4 week trip to the National Parks of the Southwestern US.
Keep it to one side and 1 day you thank yourself. If you can't think what you'd do with it it means you don't need to spend it just yet. But 1 day you'll think I could do with that extra money.
Go on a trip. Travel is always worth it.
Well, I'm going to be "Billy Boring" or "Captain Sensible" and say:- If you can't think of anything right now to do with it, sit on it until there is something. Why is it burning a hole in your pocket?

You mention car. Well, if you have one then who knows what tomorrow might bring? The head gasket could go pop and you'll rest easy knowing you've got the money to get it fixed, won't you?

If you were saying £30,000 then that's different. But £3k? It's a 'nice' sum but not life changing so I'd call it 'Rainy Day' money. Something you keep for the inevitable time when you need some money fast.

Anyway, sorry if it's a bit miserable but you asked for advice/opinions - and that's mine! Hehe.

Whatever you decide, I hope it gets put to good use.

All the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix07/11/2019 21:39

Well, I'm going to be "Billy Boring" or "Captain Sensible" and say:- If …Well, I'm going to be "Billy Boring" or "Captain Sensible" and say:- If you can't think of anything right now to do with it, sit on it until there is something. Why is it burning a hole in your pocket?You mention car. Well, if you have one then who knows what tomorrow might bring? The head gasket could go pop and you'll rest easy knowing you've got the money to get it fixed, won't you?If you were saying £30,000 then that's different. But £3k? It's a 'nice' sum but not life changing so I'd call it 'Rainy Day' money. Something you keep for the inevitable time when you need some money fast.Anyway, sorry if it's a bit miserable but you asked for advice/opinions - and that's mine! Hehe. Whatever you decide, I hope it gets put to good use.All the best, Phsy.

A sensible reply. I like it
Save it.
If you really must do something with it, a rough age group would be handy as that can make a difference. You could be 14, or 74! Also, M or F?

I know none of these are specifically "one off" things but:

Skydive (if you're brave/adventurous)
Driving experience
Balloon flight
Light aircraft or helicopter flight/lesson (I did a plane lesson. Fantastic experience, taking the controls etc.)
VIP 'pamper' session at a spa
Professional 'family' portrait session at a photography studio

Just a few ideas. Tough ask though with no background to go on. I realise, when it's a gift; you feel you have to do something with it don't you?

...If you were saying £30,000 then that's different. But £3k? It's a ' …...If you were saying £30,000 then that's different. But £3k? It's a 'nice' sum but not life changing...

It will be to somebody, & that somebody does not have to be somebody you know.
Yes Phsycronix

I do feel I should do something with it. I have had an 8 year period of nothingness so it is about my time to do something.

I appreciate the comments of the watch, photography & even (believe it or not) premium bonds.

The funeral is out of the question because I am a burn me in a cardboard box & scatter me in the back garden type of person. Which cannot cost more than £2.37.

What did just come into my mind was a decent metal detector & a book locating the history of battles in the UK. Maybe that would turn out to be quite a rewarding hobby whether you find gold or just pieces of lead shot.
fanpages07/11/2019 22:07

It will be to somebody, & that somebody does not have to be somebody you …It will be to somebody, & that somebody does not have to be somebody you know.

As always FP, you're quite right to point out the flaw in my comment. Thank you.

If the OP finds £3k to be truly life changing then I would suggest that they save it even more. However, I would never expect someone living on life's 'knife edge' to be asking how they can spend it on a shopping forum.
Stocks and shares ISA. HSBC American index or dynamic fund. Growth of 10 to 15 % per annum.
Willy_Wonka07/11/2019 22:07

Yes PhsycronixI do feel I should do something with it. I have had an 8 …Yes PhsycronixI do feel I should do something with it. I have had an 8 year period of nothingness so it is about my time to do something. I appreciate the comments of the watch, photography & even (believe it or not) premium bonds. The funeral is out of the question because I am a burn me in a cardboard box & scatter me in the back garden type of person. Which cannot cost more than £2.37. What did just come into my mind was a decent metal detector & a book locating the history of battles in the UK. Maybe that would turn out to be quite a rewarding hobby whether you find gold or just pieces of lead shot.

If you feel you deserve something "special" then, go for it! We all need a pick-me-up now and again. Regarding metal detecting, you're right. It can be extremely rewarding if you get a good find. There are several "detectorists" around where I live that have had many 'farmland' finds and split the spoils with the farmer. I even read a story just recently about the guy who found one of the largest discoveries to date. I think he sold to the British Museum or something for a few million!

Good luck on whatever you choose to do, WW.
Thank you Phsycronix

I know it might seem boastful to some people that are struggling but it is not. I did a favour for someone a while back & never expected them to repay. But they did.
I think it is time I took up a new hobby.
Half in blue chip shares e.g Rolls Royce and half in Premium Bonds. Treat yourself to a slap up dinner too
Pay off some debt - even if it’s you’re mortgage - sooner your not a slave to the £ the better!
Edited by: "indywooda" 7th Nov
indywooda07/11/2019 22:41

Pay off some debt - even if it’s you’re mortgage - sooner your not a slave …Pay off some debt - even if it’s you’re mortgage - sooner your not a slave to the £ the better!

I am lucky enough to have no debt. Dont get me wrong because I am not rich but I have no debt.
What about some kind of training course? Not necessarily a career changing one but something you could help boost your knowledge on a subject your interested in? Check the local college for things like 1 year photography courses, etc. Yes you can YouTube tips but sometimes a bit more focus and a shared learning environment helps.
Well, since you have no debt and seem to be a fairly relaxed sort of person. How about 3 months backpacking around South America? My daughter is currently doing that and her budget is 3k. Memories (and of course photos) are what you have when you get old.
You could sponsor an orphan if you are not able to adopt. They send you letters and photos so you can feel connected that you may have saved a life.
Not a lot it only £3000....

Well, I'm going to be "Billy Boring" or "Captain Sensible" and say:- If …Well, I'm going to be "Billy Boring" or "Captain Sensible" and say:- If you can't think of anything right now to do with it, sit on it until there is something. Why is it burning a hole in your pocket?You mention car. Well, if you have one then who knows what tomorrow might bring? The head gasket could go pop and you'll rest easy knowing you've got the money to get it fixed, won't you?If you were saying £30,000 then that's different. But £3k? It's a 'nice' sum but not life changing so I'd call it 'Rainy Day' money. Something you keep for the inevitable time when you need some money fast.Anyway, sorry if it's a bit miserable but you asked for advice/opinions - and that's mine! Hehe. Whatever you decide, I hope it gets put to good use.All the best, Phsy.

You think £30k is life changing, seriously?
Bargainhead08/11/2019 05:56

Not a lot it only £3000....

Its great that you're in a position to say that. Just remember everyone's circumstances are different from your own.
airfix08/11/2019 07:25

You think £30k is life changing, seriously?

It could easily be for many people.
- Put them through Uni in Scotland.
- Good deposit on a house/flat (obviously not everywhere.)
- Clear debt run up by a reckless/unfortunate start in life.
-Add a room to a house to give an elderly relative a room to stay
-etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants