What would you do with someone's computer after they had died?

Banned 53 replies
Found 27th Jan 2011
So I have a large chunk of my life stored on my computer, some of which I wouldn't want my wife to see. Written work of when I was going through rough times, emails dating back 10 years. If I was to die tomorrow what would happen to it all? Has anyone else been in a similar situation with a relative leaving behind a computer with lots of files on.

I'm thinking of a device attached to my heart that would send a signal via a network that would then send a kill signal to my computer to delete said embarrassing files when it was switched on and connected to the internet. Thoughts?

55 Comments

If I dont want them to see the stuff thats on my computer at the mo then no way do i want them to see it wen I pop ma cloggs. thats why the disk is encrypted!

Leave the computer to a (close) family member in your will with express instructions to remove all the contents first, or state in your will that your computer's hard drive is to be cremated with you.

Alternatively, delete the e-mails & anything you do not wish your wife to read now.

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster Banned

fanpages

or state in your will that your computer's hard drive is to be cremated … or state in your will that your computer's hard drive is to be cremated with you.

The wife wants to be buried so I guess I better go for a burial too

fanpages

or state in your will that your computer's hard drive is to be cremated … or state in your will that your computer's hard drive is to be cremated with you.

lumoruk

The wife wants to be buried so I guess I better go for a burial too

Why?

Also, what is the worst that can happen after you are dead & somebody else reads your file contents?

It isn't like your wife can file for divorce at that point.

BFN,

fp.

fanpages

Leave the computer to a (close) family member in your will with express … Leave the computer to a (close) family member in your will with express instructions to remove all the contents first, or state in your will that your computer's hard drive is to be cremated with you.Alternatively, delete the e-mails & anything you do not wish your wife to read now.BFN,fp.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9206/mytombstone.jpg

If you've got stuff you don't want people to see, I would be more concerned about hiding it well NOW rather than when you're dead. Hide it well now and you won't have a problem whether you're living or dead

Id leave a text file on desktop tellin the missus to mind her own buisness and get back to what she does best, the ironing.

callum84

Id leave a text file on desktop tellin the missus to mind her own … Id leave a text file on desktop tellin the missus to mind her own buisness and get back to what she does best, the ironing.

You work for sky by any chance?

yes, I inherited a pc. At that point I realised I was storing mountains of crap on mine, and smashed it up and put it in a council crusher. Great weight off my mind, what's the point of keeping old tut.

chalkysoil

yes, I inherited a pc. At that point I realised I was storing mountains … yes, I inherited a pc. At that point I realised I was storing mountains of crap on mine, and smashed it up and put it in a council crusher. Great weight off my mind, what's the point of keeping old tut.

He probably has secrets buried with him too...

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/guides/history/ancient/images/sw/king-tut-mummy-1068400-sw.jpg

BFN,

fp.

lol

Fanpages............. why do use always end everything with

BFN,

fp.

Does it make you feel important??? (_;)

Just use Truecrypt to encrypt the harddrive, or just a volume on the drive. It'll keep everyone locked out of everything until at least the day when quantum computing becomes widespread, and you really should do it as soon as, since you never know when you might die or, as is maybe more of a concern, when your house might get broken into and your PC be taken.

lumoruk

I'm thinking of a device attached to my heart that would send a signal … I'm thinking of a device attached to my heart that would send a signal via a network that would then send a kill signal to my computer to delete said embarrassing files when it was switched on and connected to the internet. Thoughts?

Wouldn't this be more embarrassing, as most people would think what a plonker that's what killed him .

parisp

Fanpages............. why do use always end everything withBFN,fp.Does it … Fanpages............. why do use always end everything withBFN,fp.Does it make you feel important??? (_;)

He also always writes all acronyms in full, calls links "universal resource locators", and, oh, just read this for a prize example of linguistic insanity. I suspect it's not a sense of unwarranted self importance, more some overwhelming mental defect.

WOW ....needs to get out more!!!

dxx

He also always writes all acronyms in full, calls links "universal … He also always writes all acronyms in full, calls links "universal resource locators", and, oh, just read this for a prize example of linguistic insanity. I suspect it's not a sense of unwarranted self importance, more some overwhelming mental defect.

BFN is an acronym.

BFN,

fp.

Banned

fanpages

BFN is an acronym.BFN,fp.

and its a very important acronym..:D...

almost as good as NIC... ( no internet connection oO )

BFN

D_C
Edited by: "dog_cop" 27th Jan 2011

Oh, and although I know I verge on DLM-grade thread spamming here, but I just wanted to share with you all a happy little story this thread reminds me of.

What it is, is last year, a teenager in America managed to **** his life up spectacularly. He just got mixed up in badstuff, taking drugs, dealing drugs, committing petty crimes and robberies, getting into trouble with gangs, that sort of thing. He was homeless, his parents had disowned him, and the only person that really stood by him at all was his little brother. Things just kept getting worse for the guy, until his death. I don't recall whether it was suicide or murder, but he knew it was coming to him.

When he died, his parents set about the task of clearing out all his stuff. What was junk they would just throw, what might be of any value, they gave to the little brother. He guessed that was what would happen, and expecting that his parents would give his brother his computer, he left a little text file on the desktop, entitled "To my lil bro", or words to that effect. In it were the username and password details for his Paypal account. He'd put every penny he had to his name in it for him.

Banned

dxx

Oh, and although I know I verge on DLM-grade thread spamming here, but I … Oh, and although I know I verge on DLM-grade thread spamming here, but I just wanted to share with you all a happy little story this thread reminds me of. What it is, is last year, a teenager in America managed to **** his life up spectacularly. He just got mixed up in badstuff, taking drugs, dealing drugs, committing petty crimes and robberies, getting into trouble with gangs, that sort of thing. He was homeless, his parents had disowned him, and the only person that really stood by him at all was his little brother. Things just kept getting worse for the guy, until his death. I don't recall whether it was suicide or murder, but he knew it was coming to him.When he died, his parents set about the task of clearing out all his stuff. What was junk they would just throw, what might be of any value, they gave to the little brother. He guessed that was what would happen, and expecting that his parents would give his brother his computer, he left a little text file on the desktop, entitled "To my lil bro", or words to that effect. In it were the username and password details for his Paypal account. He'd put every penny he had to his name in it for him.

great story .. made me cry a bit

Will pass this story over to my bro (_;)

i wonder how much a homeless guy keeps in his paypal account

Banned

tommay

i wonder how much a homeless guy keeps in his paypal account

and how he managed to carry a computer around on the streets

csiman

and how he managed to carry a computer around on the streets

poor form. the man is dead, show some respect.

Banned

tommay

poor form. the man is dead, show some respect.

jeez, I've seen some temperamental people on this site but you take the biscuit.

Man up and grow a pair FFS!

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/Crypt19/Foghorn-Leghorn-Thats-a-joke-son-You-missed-it-Flew-right-by-ya.jpg

Banned

LOLZ - you call that humour? Very strange!

Banned

OP needs to look into Dead On Demand technology -

DoD

Just work a heart monitor into a trigger and you're away!

Why would you need e-mails going back 10 years? Why do you have stuff about your life you don't want your wife to know about? Why doesn't she know about it already? Why are you living a double life? Why do you ask such dumb questions?

oO

For real?

Just password the files you numptyj and make sure passwords to email accounts etc aren't stored by your browser.

Simples

Or even better, delete the stuff that is embarrassing now before someone stumbles upon it. Whether they are a relative or a hacker, its better to not have something that could go viral in the wrong hands. Dead or alive.
Edited by: "PhearFactor" 27th Jan 2011

There was an article about this in a magazine I read a few months ago.

Who "owns" your electronic life after you die - your emails, your facebook and twitter pages, your computer etc etc.

And if they have not got the passwords how do they actually access all this stuff.

People are now writing this sort of thing in their wills.

btw You say you want to be buried. Have you actually got a burial plot, because with the huge demand for burial plots there may not be one available when you actually die.

Edited by: "guilbert53" 27th Jan 2011

I have written a step by step guide for you.

1) Put a 3g device, (I would guess the size of a coin) on your chest, just to monitor that your heart is beating,

2) Attach a 3g device to your computer so they are in constant contact with each other. In the event that your heart should stop beating the 3g device inside your computer would detonate a small bomb attached to your hard drive.

3) BOOM, your dirty secrets are safe (_;)

Thats how the pro's would do it anyway

Edit: Haha, I just read your 2nd paragragh. I neglected to read before I wrote my guide. Great minds think alike X)

Edited by: "jonny619447" 27th Jan 2011

lets just hope your wife isnt reading this thread now X)

Banned

I see fanpages is a hit with the ladies again.

Thoughts? Ok then. You're mental (srs).

Put everything incriminating in online storage and keep the passwords secret.

That way when you are inevitably killed in a drug fuelled sexplosion nothing is left on your PC.

nikkib123

Why would you need e-mails going back 10 years? Why do you have stuff … Why would you need e-mails going back 10 years? Why do you have stuff about your life you don't want your wife to know about? Why doesn't she know about it already? Why are you living a double life? Why do you ask such dumb questions?

Just what I was thinking nikki - what on earth would you have to hide? I'd have no problem with anybody going into my computer. Life's too short to even worry about it.

Banned

I have naked lady pictures on my computer

kaks26

Just what I was thinking nikki - what on earth would you have to hide? … Just what I was thinking nikki - what on earth would you have to hide? I'd have no problem with anybody going into my computer. Life's too short to even worry about it.

Refer to post #36

vibeone

I have naked lady pictures on my computer

Well we knew that honey - probably half of them from here lol - but its hardly crime of the century unless those above have extremely weird and exotic fetishes or illegal stuff they've kept hidden for years then why worry?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54415416
    2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)70561
    3. The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread861868
    4. word association Game74244894

See more discussions