Groups

What would you have done?...

I found a purse on the way back from work today... took it home (as didn't want to rifle through it in public). Then when I got back had a rummage through... £71, loads of loyalty cards, credit card, photo of daughter (or whoever), a contact number and a Doctor's prescription.

So what would you have done? (Keep in mind i'm a uni student, have to pay £80 2moro for exhibition fees... the £71 felt like fate, plus I support myself, don't get money off of family etc.)

HONESTLY!!! what would you do... I ended up finding their address on the prescription and taking it to their house (turns out it was a little old ladies...) Woulda loved to have kept the money, but my morals are too strong, DAMN YOU!!! and I couldn't bring myself to keeping it. I'm happy, but I'm still skint. lol

117 Comments

If it has their address on and you can return it
    You are actually commiting an act of theft.

Banned

good on ya don :thumbsup:

I would have given it back aswell, you did the right thing. Ifyou had taken the money i'm sure you would have felt really guilty.

Original Poster

t0mm;1693282

If it has their address on and you can return itYou are actually … If it has their address on and you can return itYou are actually commiting an act of theft.

The address was on the prescription... So I found their house with AA routefinder pretty easily. Just glad to have helped someone... the son was soooooo shocked I returned it, with everything in as well.

I would have returned it aswell.

Good on you donbreach! You did the right thing Was probably the old lady's pension......

no choice i would return it in full

did they give u a reward ?

Original Poster

TheDoc;1693293

I would have returned it.

Thing is, is anyone gonna say they would have kept it...

Knowing the area round here, I think I'm one in a million that would have given it back... It's rough round here, even the pigeons say "big issue, big issue".

Original Poster

cheerleader;1693294

Good on you donbreach! You did the right thing Was probably the old … Good on you donbreach! You did the right thing Was probably the old lady's pension......

Was thinking that...

To be honest if i was really hard up id take the money out and return it.

I have been in exactly the same position and I gave a wallet back to its owner with all its contents intact.
    The bloke tried to give me some money but I said no way.
    I think its good karma and what goes around comes around.
    In my opinion you did exactly the right thing but it must have been sooooo tempting seen as how you are so skint.
    Good on you for doing the right thing !

Karma will sort you out Don
    good things will happen back to you :thumbsup:

Original Poster

intenso100;1693301

did they give u a reward ?

No they didn't which is ashame... However I wouldn't have taken anything, (have been offered before, but always refuse)... however it's nice to be asked. Oh well, I'm going to heaven... :P

karma isnt going to pay his £80 fee

Think most people would give it in if they found a purse/wallett which some ID details.

If it had just been some money in a envelope or something I a lot of people would have kept it

donbreach;1693302

Thing is, is anyone gonna say they would have kept it...Knowing the area … Thing is, is anyone gonna say they would have kept it...Knowing the area round here, I think I'm one in a million that would have given it back... It's rough round here, even the pigeons say "big issue, big issue".

Being a 'rough' area has nothing to do with it imo. It doesn't make the people any less likely to do the right thing.

Banned

About 4 years ago on the Isle of Wight, we found a wallet which contained about £500 in crisp £20 notes, along with numerous credit cards. What else it had, I have no idea. (We were in the "Black Gang Chine" theme park at the time.)

It was handed in to the main office, along with our address.

Never even heard so much as a thankyou!

Mind you, I wished we had rumaged. I wouldnt be surprised if they even got it back - and could have asked the question!

donbreach;1693302

Thing is, is anyone gonna say they would have kept it...Knowing the area … Thing is, is anyone gonna say they would have kept it...Knowing the area round here, I think I'm one in a million that would have given it back... It's rough round here, even the pigeons say "big issue, big issue".

Then that elderly lady is lucky that someone as thoughful as you found it. Good on you mate.

Original Poster

DAMNOME;1693312

Karma will sort you out Dongood things will happen back to you :thumbsup:

Yeh I started thinking about Karma... and I'm currently in a competition called Mad Ideas, which is a competition between uni's. I'm in the finals, and have been told by one of the coordinators it would be shocking if I didn't make the podium. So Karma should help me win it... and the £3,000 - £5,000 prize money. That £71 will be trivial if I win... fingers crossed.

well done to you and dont forget how would have felt if it was the other way round?

I lost my wallet a few weeks ago with similar stuff in it & an honest guy like you found it & returned it to my bank.
    It truly made my day & restored my faith a little bit in humanity-

I can honestly say you have definitely done the right thing & I hope you getthe good karma in return- I am sure you will.

You are a top guy.

Original Poster

guv;1693332

About 4 years ago on the Isle of Wight, we found a wallet which contained … About 4 years ago on the Isle of Wight, we found a wallet which contained about £500 in crisp £20 notes, along with numerous credit cards. What else it had, I have no idea. (We were in the "Black Gang Chine" theme park at the time.) It was handed in to the main office, along with our address.Never even heard so much as a thankyou!Mind you, I wished we had rumaged. I wouldnt be surprised if they even got it back - and could have asked the question!

I don't agree with handing in to shops, offices or even the police anymore (As you'll never know if they'll receive it). I'd much rather do a little bit of Columbo (Investigating) and hand it back to them personally.
    Found £200 @ school with a mate, handed it in, they said if it's not claimed within 3 months we can have it... was never claimed (dodgy) so we wen't to get it, with plans for spending. and was told it was put into school funds after a month. Annoyed me to say the least.

crow99;1693325

Think most people would give it in if they found a purse/wallett which … Think most people would give it in if they found a purse/wallett which some ID details.If it had just been some money in a envelope or something I a lot of people would have kept it

Speaking honestly - yes
    donbreach;1693336

Yeh I started thinking about Karma... and I'm currently in a competition … Yeh I started thinking about Karma... and I'm currently in a competition called Mad Ideas, which is a competition between uni's. I'm in the finals, and have been told by one of the coordinators it would be shocking if I didn't make the podium. So Karma should help me win it... and the £3,000 - £5,000 prize money. That £71 will be trivial if I win... fingers crossed.

I'm no expert but I don't think that Karma works like that!!
    Good luck anyway.

Original Poster

fern;1693343

well done to you and dont forget how would have felt if it was the other … well done to you and dont forget how would have felt if it was the other way round?

To be honest... I would never expect it back. And just consider it gone. However I would be amazed and so grateful if I got mine back.

Banned

chesso;1693355

I'm no expert but I don't think that Karma works like that!!Good luck … I'm no expert but I don't think that Karma works like that!!Good luck anyway.

Lol that save me writing out a speech, that would have made less sense than that so thanks:thumbsup:

Original Poster

intenso100;1693319

karma isnt going to pay his £80 fee

Hahahahaha, neither are my family (like a lot of students)... so I guess it's 16 hours of work @ WH Smith thats gonna pay 4 it... wicked, especially as I have had my hours cut from 18 hours a week plus OT to 10 hours a week.

chesso;1693355

I'm no expert but I don't think that Karma works like that!!Good luck … I'm no expert but I don't think that Karma works like that!!Good luck anyway.

Well your name aint Earl

Well done you did the right thing. :-D

you did the right thing. i would have done the same

Banned

donbreach;1693352

I don't agree with handing in to shops, offices or even the police … I don't agree with handing in to shops, offices or even the police anymore (As you'll never know if they'll receive it). I'd much rather do a little bit of Columbo (Investigating) and hand it back to them personally.

Indeed. I know that if someone found my lost wallet with that amount in it, I most definately would have given them a reward. You would have thought a thankyou would have been easy wouldnt you! Thats why I have my doubts it left the office it got handed in. I wont do it that way again for sure.

Found £200 @ school with a mate, handed it in, they said if it's not … Found £200 @ school with a mate, handed it in, they said if it's not claimed within 3 months we can have it... was never claimed (dodgy) so we wen't to get it, with plans for spending. and was told it was put into school funds after a month. Annoyed me to say the least.

Thats actually theft! Hope you notified the police!!!!:p

Original Poster

chesso;1693355

Karma sucks then lol :P

Well done Donbreach - aside from getting the money back you will have restored some of the little old ladies faith that there are still some good people in our society.

I've twice found money in a cashpoint machine - the first time I took it to the police station (bank was closed) and the owner sent me a nice thank and a small reward. 2nd time the bank was open - took it in and the casheir just put it straight in their till.

I don't know why you're even questioning what you should do! :?

Well done for not nicking someone else's stuff :!:

Original Poster

guv;1693376

Thats actually theft! Hope you notified the police!!!!:p

Hahahahaha I just thought if the school needed to mug off 2 honest 14 year old boys (Gawd that was a fair few years back) for a couple of hundred quid then they needed it worst than we did.

Original Poster

owlass;1693392

I don't know why you're even questioning what you should do! :?Well done … I don't know why you're even questioning what you should do! :?Well done for not nicking someone else's stuff :!:

Finders Keepers?

sassie;1693367

Lol that save me writing out a speech, that would have made less sense … Lol that save me writing out a speech, that would have made less sense than that so thanks:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
    DAMNOME;1693371

Well your name aint Earl

Never seen Earl in action!!
    donbreach;1693377

Karma sucks then lol :P

It is a pretty tricky philosphical ideal to live up to but the first steps are the hardest. Good start on your new 'I'll never be banned again' life:p

your a nice person donbreach

:)your a nice person donbreach

octobergirl;1693445

your a nice person donbreach

octobergirl;1693453

:)your a nice person donbreach

I'll echo that.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Teenage son new phone (1250 budget)11