Groups

What would you knowledgeable people do in this case...

We're moving house from one side of town to the other.

We currently get our broadband and TV from Virgin media, since December last year.

I've just been on to them regarding moving. Our current package is about £40/month and includes the fibre optic cable TV thingy with all the virgin channels etc.

Anyway, the bloke says where we are moving to doesn't have the cable service available, so he can offer us a Broadband service, with freeview tv channels and free phone calls at weekends/eves for £15/month. (plus we would have to pay bt line rental which is £11 or whatever).

Now we don't need freeview because it's built in to our main tv and we don't need the phone calls because we don't use a landline for making calls. So essentially, we are gonna be paying £26/m for 8mb broadband & a phone line.

I'm open to moving suppliers etc. so any suggestions welcome.

He also said they would charge us £66 disconnection fee if we don't take the service with us!!

11 Comments

Tell Sky and see what they can offer you.

Disconnection fee? WTF... Are you inside your 12 month contact?

Surely they can't charge you for disconnection. As its not your fault they can't supply it to that address.

Banned

Get your BB elsewhere - Talk Talk have a good deal I think

and tell them to ram the £66 - its not your fault they havent cabled the area you are moving to

Original Poster

Cheers for the suggestions guys. I'll be on too sky, tlak talk etc later.

They said the £66 was proportionate to the 4months i have left on my 12 month contract. It was a disconnection fee. I asked them what was involved in disconnecting and he said it involves ME unplugging the virgin tv box from the mains, disconnecting the modem from the BT line and throwing them away!!

Banned

Explain politely that although you are 8 months into your 12 month contract, you wouldnt expect to pay a disconnection fee in this instance. Explain that you would be happy to continue once you move hose but that Virgin cannot provide the required services in the new area, which you feel is unfortunate as you have been a loyal customer blah blah blah

same problem i had when i moved
    if you want broadband then o2 is the best around!!!
    and u are in contract so u will pay a disconnection fee regardless

Try not to walk away from the £66 disconnection fee. Virgin have been known to put even the smallest amount of debt into the hands of third party debt collection companies. The last thing you need in your new home is a nasty letter from them in a few months requesting the money, company collection fee and interest.

Have a think before saying no.

Original Poster

stefor;5746798

Try not to walk away from the £66 disconnection fee. Virgin have been … Try not to walk away from the £66 disconnection fee. Virgin have been known to put even the smallest amount of debt into the hands of third party debt collection companies. The last thing you need in your new home is a nasty letter from them in a few months requesting the money, company collection fee and interest.Have a think before saying no.

Yeah thanks.thought about that and i'm prob in a no-win situ.

I can understand them charging you for leaving a contract, but if they are unable to provide you with the same service at your new property, surely you have an argument for not paying it?

ChipSticks;5747042

I can understand them charging you for leaving a contract, but if they … I can understand them charging you for leaving a contract, but if they are unable to provide you with the same service at your new property, surely you have an argument for not paying it?

Where's magicjay when you need him?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?2486
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1117
      3. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?917
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17416151

See more discussions