What would you pick? Gaming laptop, choice of 2.

Found 20th Jan
Hi,

Been driving the brain berserk with specs and prices.

Currently there are fairly slim pickings for an outstanding deal, and I've been waiting/looking since xmas for a new one.

Both which I've seen are HP Omen's, mainly because at the moment they have 3 years collection warranty on selected models I'm looking at.

The below one is the one I'm leaning towards, as I have an old 250gb SSD in a cupboard
store.hp.com/UKS…NTB

Then there is this, It's got an i7 and 17" screen as an advantage over the above.
store.hp.com/UKS…NTB

I'm open to suggestions, also after any horror stories as to why these aren't too great.

Any help much appreciated, If i discuss computer specs with my friends or family I get a very blank face in reply...
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments
Well if you want the warranty you won’t want the one you are going to open up and put an ssd in.
Also if your a student go through the Hp staff and student portal for a little extra discount.
Your first link doesn't work.

You should say what you're after, do you want a laptop for gaming, work?

You missed some amazing deals, for example, this dell with an i7, 16GB RAM, 1060 6GB GPU + VR bundle for just £899!
Original Poster
cmdr_elito15 m ago

Well if you want the warranty you won’t want the one you are going to open …Well if you want the warranty you won’t want the one you are going to open up and put an ssd in.

Ah, valid point I hadn't thought about that! Sadly I'm not a student anymore
Original Poster
bjrosl18 m ago

Your first link doesn't work.You should say what you're after, do you want …Your first link doesn't work.You should say what you're after, do you want a laptop for gaming, work?You missed some amazing deals, for example, this dell with an i7, 16GB RAM, 1060 6GB GPU + VR bundle for just £899!

First link was for "15-ce020na Gaming Laptop - GTX 1060 G-SYNC"
Link works on my sources, try hereNew link attempt

I saw that dell deal, but there appeared to be a glitch with it, and saw a lot of HDUK'ers having hassle and such and by time I saw that it had expired anyhow.

Ideally after an i7 quad core, with a gtx 1060, 17" screen (though I'd go lower if everything else was good) 8gb ram minimum, for under £1k
For me it comes down to the screen size. This isn't a laptop you are going to carry around all day, but the 17" size is a beast to carry. If you are using it in one place only, I'd get the 17". If you are going to take it to work/Uni and back then I'd get the 15" and consider an external monitor.
Original Poster
James_Kerr12 m ago

For me it comes down to the screen size. This isn't a laptop you are going …For me it comes down to the screen size. This isn't a laptop you are going to carry around all day, but the 17" size is a beast to carry. If you are using it in one place only, I'd get the 17". If you are going to take it to work/Uni and back then I'd get the 15" and consider an external monitor.

Predominantly going to be in one place. Every so often it would need to go places, but rarely.

For my budget, I'd have to drop to a 1050ti to get a 17" screen. I've seen benchmarks for the 1050ti vs 1060 and the latter does look significantly better.
I'd go for the 1060 over the 1050ti.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions