What would you say is a good salary for a 25 year old?

Found 11th Feb 2015
I'm 25 years old and i've just recieved two job offers (both of which are within 1k of each other). The one offering the extra 1k is closer to home and the one offering slightly less is a slightly further drive away.

I'm really struggling to pick between them and I have to choose soon. So what do you guys think is a good salary for a 25 year old so I can put all this into perspective (it's not all about the money for me, it's the whole package, location, pension etc etc).

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
25 Comments

minimum wage with a contract if you're lucky

A good salary! That all depends on the job you do, as working in McDonalds will be slightly different pay from a Brain surgeon .

Banned

£25k would be excellent
£10k would be slave labour.

Tell us what your job title is / will be. Your experience and qualifications.

Presumably the higher pay/closer to home job is more appealing as it leaves you with more in your pocket at the end of the day after paying for commuting.

As for how much is a good wage - what do you personally bring to the company? How qualified are you? How many years experience have you got in the companies industry or years in a similar role as the job you will be doing?

I don't think you can quantify it by age. When I was 25, I was on £30k p/a in a really stressful job. I'm 38 now and on £12k p/a in a really laid back job . Its all about quality of life.

You have answered your own question.

it's not all about the money for me, it's the whole package, location, … it's not all about the money for me, it's the whole package, location, pension etc etc).

so the salary and travelling distances don't come into it- especially when in the grand scheme of things there really is little difference between the 2. So, all the other things being equal you would go for the one that pays the most? But I suspect they are not that equal. Who is going to train/develop you? Will either encourage/provide you with further qualifications?

How long is a bit of string?

Original Poster

I'm in digital security and the figures are the upper 30's, but not quite 40k

First world problems!

A good salary all depends on how ambitious you are. You are experienced, qualified and have a great deal to offer a business i think you should aim high anyway, apply for jobs in the realm of 35k plus.
Pension, company car, health care, holiday days etc = add it all up and thats the figure, compare both. also remember the more you pay the more tax you will pay too so pay attention to this as the higher job might be in the higher tax bracket and you could come out with less.

depends were you live, Cornwall's wages are low unless you work for a national company. down here 16k is a good full time wage for your age.

I'm 24 on £24k. Next year that will go up to 28k then year after 31k then after that it will increase usually about 1-5% per year.

Oh plus company car

I would be looking at which company can offer best job security and less stress wouldn't worry about money as if your good at the job your wage will rise.

Quality of life as stated before should be your priority.

any salary is fine.. as long as you dont have a high mantainence babe

barrel24

Oh plus company car

oh plus don't boast about it, as there's always someone with a bigger one...

You're 25 and you've received two job offers. Pick the one which makes you happiest / looks interesting etc.
If you're so inclined, which has these best future prospects?

You'll be working for 40 years yet (less we all hope) and if on say 25k now, you'll earn about 1.5 million in your working life of around 8800 days of work.

I'd go for the most interesting.

barrel24

I'm 24 on £24k. Next year that will go up to 28k then year after 31k then … I'm 24 on £24k. Next year that will go up to 28k then year after 31k then after that it will increase usually about 1-5% per year.

Can I ask what do you work as?

Actually you're 25. As my youthful colleague pointed out, go for the company with fittest women!

civil service is very hard to move up now days! pick the one you can move up in!

Dont think too much about salary or career. Work to live! Find a job that means you can live comfortably but makes up the smallest part of your life. When you get to the end you wont care whether you earnt the most or had a successful career. If you can find a job that changes lives you'll get more satisfaction than you would from a job paying 10 times the salary.

markhuges

Can I ask what do you work as?

I repair the mobile phone networks

i would be less concerned with the current salary - especially only a 1K difference. I would look at which position could get me the right experience and training. i would also look at the differences in the positions to see which interested me more.

Let's all brag about our wages
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions