Expired

What would you say is a reasonable commuting time?

Found 22nd Jan 2012
I have got a new job and it is a fair bit away... It'll take me about 1 hour to commute by car or about 1h 40mins by train.

So how long do you commute to work and what time do you think is unreasonable?
Community Updates
Misc
27 Comments
Takes me about 6 minutes by foot

I wouldn't want to commute for any longer than 30 mins. Unless the job was a very good job or I really needed it.

Edited by: "sancho1983" 22nd Jan 2012
I used to commute 1hr 40 by bus (before I drove at 16!) and now its 40 mins on the train with 15 min walk either side...
How far away do you live?
It takes me about an hour to get to work. It's only about 25 miles away but I travel via the M1 and it's very busy.
i used to spend all day travelling to my job, i was a courier mind X)
electriclinux

How far away do you live?

About 16 miles... It's not the best paid jobs, but its one I definitely will enjoy.
1 hour door to door.
Maximum 1.5 hour door to door.
1.5-2hrs one way into London by train...
1 hour 10 mins one way - about 30 miles
Problem is with any job with long commuting is how "relaxing" or not you find that commute...otherwise really you can consider that "time" effectively as work time because it eats too much into your own time.
Zero minutes.

Most jobs aren't worth the effort.
depending on traffic anything from 10 minutes to half an hour - look upon it as an hourly rate you are spending that time (minimum travelling of 2 hours + cost of the travel) and then think ...... it is worth it at the end of the month to how much you're being paid
Oh used to have a 216 mile round trip every day, took him around 1hr 40 to 2 hrs depending on traffic each way
Currently door to door is about 55 minutes. But have had a journey of 1h 45 minutes when I bought my first house (in Peterborough) and commuted by car, train and 2 tube trains to South London.

Fortunately, someone nicked my car and the prospect of a bus journey until I got another car made me realise I hated doing that journey. (It was the tube that was the killer tbh.) So sold the house and bought one back near my parents.
Upto an hour is reasonable. But for me it can be anywhere from 5 mins to 5 hours as my work place isn't fixed. I try and work it into my working week most of the time so not so bad.
Just depends on the job. I normally commute on a weekly basis and each way includes a 2 hour drive, a 1 hour flight and a 30 minute taxi journey. I love my job though. When occasionally back in the office, my commute is 20 minutes.

I wouldn't drive more than 1 hour each way per day though, not unless I had little choice.
20 mins minimum 40 mins top for me

16 miles in an hour must be some badly congested roads! my journey is about 13 mile
Marty1981

20 mins minimum 40 mins top for me16 miles in an hour must be some badly … 20 mins minimum 40 mins top for me16 miles in an hour must be some badly congested roads! my journey is about 13 mile

A406 haha
I would say it depends entirely on the job and pay, if the job/pay is not good then 20 mins max.
If you love the job and the pay is average about an hour, if you love the job and the money is fab 1-2 hours. If you love the job and the pay is crap 30 mins otherwise you would end up working for next to nothing because of commute costs.
Unless you've got family/etc. to get back to every night, you can always rent a nearby student-digs style crashpad for staying over a couple of evenings a week to lessen the commute.

Obviously this will cost more unless you stay Mon-Fri, but its quite normal for people with long commutes to do that.
an hour by car is nothing, although my daily locations vary, they are always minimum 1 1/2 hour drive away up to 3 hours (each way)
guv

Currently door to door is about 55 minutes. But have had a journey of 1h … Currently door to door is about 55 minutes. But have had a journey of 1h 45 minutes when I bought my first house (in Peterborough) and commuted by car, train and 2 tube trains to South London.Fortunately, someone nicked my car and the prospect of a bus journey until I got another car made me realise I hated doing that journey. (It was the tube that was the killer tbh.) So sold the house and bought one back near my parents.

Guv, why do you say the tube was the killer bit? I'm thinking of relocating to London so would be interested in knowing what getting to work there is like
Redking

Guv, why do you say the tube was the killer bit? I'm thinking of … Guv, why do you say the tube was the killer bit? I'm thinking of relocating to London so would be interested in knowing what getting to work there is like

Packed trains. I guess its not too bad outside zones 1 and 2, but in central London its the pits. Too many sweaty bodies in the summer on trains without ventilation. Gross.
guv

Packed trains. I guess its not too bad outside zones 1 and 2, but in … Packed trains. I guess its not too bad outside zones 1 and 2, but in central London its the pits. Too many sweaty bodies in the summer on trains without ventilation. Gross.

I seriously don't know how any office worker copes on the tube in London...by the time you get to the office you would want to take a shower.

http://www.menshealth.com/sweat/images/avoid-embarassing-stains.jpg
Edited by: "cicobuff" 22nd Jan 2012
depends on the money , ive spent 3 hours on public transport getting there and because of the time i finished , ive had to kip at the train station untill the trains started again .

I did that for nearly 6 months but it was worth it because of the money .
dga

Regardless of perspiration I would want a shower after commuting through … Regardless of perspiration I would want a shower after commuting through any part of Londonshire on PT.

Yeah, come away from London after being on the tube, blow your nose and black soot comes out.
used to be 1 hour 40 by train,now work 5 mins from home by car (took a job for 3k less and still better off as i dont spend 3 1/2k on train season tickets!),quids in,no hassle either!

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants