What's a cheap Direct Debit?

Found 25th Jul 2015
I have a Santander 1-2-3 account and I need 2 direct debits. I need 1 and quickly so just looking for the cheapest possible.

Any ideas please?
Community Updates
Ask
30 Comments
Set up a charity one for £1 a month?
pay a family member or me?
Edited by: "sowotsdis" 25th Jul 2015
PayPal and you won't have to pay anything
PayPal is a good one. Or a credit card which you dont use.
You have to pay £2 per month for the account.
Mobile phone sim and cancel after a couple of months when account established.
Teezgaff

Mobile phone sim and cancel after a couple of months when account … Mobile phone sim and cancel after a couple of months when account established.

If I do this will they not cancel the interest? I want to use it as a savings account ?
sowotsdis

How do you do it as a DD
moneysm

If I do this will they not cancel the interest? I want to use it as a … If I do this will they not cancel the interest? I want to use it as a savings account ?

If you're on contract anyway just keep it going. If you have a dual sim phone just pay for a data package maybe?
Charities are usually minimum £2 per month - eg. wateraid
cheapest tend to be

tv licence
mobile phone contract
landline phone contract
water
sowotsdis

this is standing order which is not a direct debit
moneysm

If I do this will they not cancel the interest? I want to use it as a … If I do this will they not cancel the interest? I want to use it as a savings account ?

the terms of the account is two direct debit so if this stops the preferential terms for the account will also stop.
Hi, I work for Santander. As someone else has said, paying another person is a standing order, paying a company is a direct debit. What customers usually do is a charity one, but realistically there's plenty you could do. Even annual ones count, RAC membership etc, PayPal as others have stated. Some people take the 123 credit card to gain the cash back on that and set the monthly payment from the 123 account as it counts as one of the direct debits, however you need to use the credit card effectively to counteract the £24 annual fee.
landros1

You have to pay £2 per month for the account.

Exactly! Why being robbed in the first place? I asked my energy provider to set up the payment as DD and they agreed and that's why I got my teenage son a Halifax account earning £5 every month.
aym280

Exactly! Why being robbed in the first place? I asked my energy provider … Exactly! Why being robbed in the first place? I asked my energy provider to set up the payment as DD and they agreed and that's why I got my teenage son a Halifax account earning £5 every month.

I make a good profit on my account.
sowotsdis

​it wouldn't be a DD, it would be a standing order
aym280

Exactly! Why being robbed in the first place? I asked my energy provider … Exactly! Why being robbed in the first place? I asked my energy provider to set up the payment as DD and they agreed and that's why I got my teenage son a Halifax account earning £5 every month.

I have a Halifax account where m wage goes in and a Santander account where all my bills go from with a standing order of £1000 per month from m Halifax account.

If you are the main bill payer in the household then it is well worth it as just with council tax and gas and electric I am making more than I get with my Halifax plus I get interest each month on the Santander as well
lol I live at home got some savings but no direct debits
moneysm

lol I live at home got some savings but no direct debits

you can ask your parents to use your bank account for their direct debit and pay the money into your bank monthly to cover that.
Another thought, does it have to be a running DD, or can it be a credit card paid in full by DD - an option on the online management of many.
I will have to check with Santander
tesco savings accounts
jackvdbuk

tesco savings accounts

​ps
DD can take up to ten days to be created
Lottery, if you play it.
https://gocardless.com/

set up a direct debit to yourself for 10p, it'll cost you a penny to process it

/thread
What about the cheap trials for magazines, there are loads at 3 issues for £1, just cancel before the contract starts fully and then find another magazine offering similar terms, rinse and repeat.
imnicebuttdim

I have a Halifax account where m wage goes in and a Santander account … I have a Halifax account where m wage goes in and a Santander account where all my bills go from with a standing order of £1000 per month from m Halifax account.If you are the main bill payer in the household then it is well worth it as just with council tax and gas and electric I am making more than I get with my Halifax plus I get interest each month on the Santander as well

My son is not the main bill payer, I talked to my energy supplier at the time and he said it was OK and that how the bills are paid via my son's account £13 fo electric and £17 for gas and they are effectively SO, but I asked the supplier to call it DD and so my son had 2 DDs ... and he was only 18!
matth9999

Another thought, does it have to be a running DD, or can it be a credit … Another thought, does it have to be a running DD, or can it be a credit card paid in full by DD - an option on the online management of many.

a direct debit from a credit card company will count as a direct debit so should be fine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions