What’s a good motherboard to OC a AMD 1100t CPU?

Found 1st Nov 2017
I currently have a budget motherboard in my rig and I’m after a decent motherboard to get a good OC out my CPU. I have an after market cooler, 8gb ram, gtx970 and a decent PSU. Is it worth buying a used mobo that supports the phenom and the fx chips or is the cpu to old now? Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
You're looking really for a good 990fx board but they're still expensive unfortunately. I would cut your losses as you can grab a cheap i7 and mobo for just a bit more than a reasonable 990fx board. Remember that the 990fx is a 7 year old design.
Original Poster
kester7636 m ago

You're looking really for a good 990fx board but they're still expensive …You're looking really for a good 990fx board but they're still expensive unfortunately. I would cut your losses as you can grab a cheap i7 and mobo for just a bit more than a reasonable 990fx board. Remember that the 990fx is a 7 year old design.

Something like this if i can get it cheap?
ebay.co.uk/itm…649

I was thinking of buying a used high end mobo so i could then move on to best FX chip and then upgrade to 16gb ram when funds allow :-D
Assuming you're gaming with that GPU then the FX series were very poor in that area. Hardware.fr recently re-did their giant processor test and found an FX-8350 was just 27.2% faster on average in current games than the stock 1100T:
hardware.fr/art…tml

It's slower than even the popular budget Pentium G4560/G4600 that you can pick up new for less than the price of a second hand FX-8350.

For a reasonably sized upgrade of double the performance you're looking at the Ryzen 1600 overclocked to 1600X speed. CPU runs to about £180, maybe £60-80 for a new motherboard and £80 to replace the 8GB of memory. Call it £350.

An AM3+ motherboard has no meaningful future upgrade prospects from a 1100T for gaming. You could spend <£50 if you fancy the overclocking boost but I wouldn't spend anything else on it.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 1st Nov 2017
rollercoaster632 h, 15 m ago

Something like this if i can get it …Something like this if i can get it cheap?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte-990FX-Gaming-for-AMD3-with-onboard-M-2-nvme-socket/263281744591?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649I was thinking of buying a used high end mobo so i could then move on to best FX chip and then upgrade to 16gb ram when funds allow :-D

You will get some gains by overclocking but it would be cheaper to sell your board and cpu, keep the memory and buy a good 2nd hand i5 from cex and a cheap 2nd hand motherboard. I bought an i7 3770s for £100 off cex to swap out my g2020 and it runs great. Eventually I'll swap out my g3258 when prices drop a bit more.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves11 h, 49 m ago

Assuming you're gaming with that GPU then the FX series were very poor in …Assuming you're gaming with that GPU then the FX series were very poor in that area. Hardware.fr recently re-did their giant processor test and found an FX-8350 was just 27.2% faster on average in current games than the stock 1100T:http://www.hardware.fr/articles/965-3/performances-jeux-3d.htmlIt's slower than even the popular budget Pentium G4560/G4600 that you can pick up new for less than the price of a second hand FX-8350. For a reasonably sized upgrade of double the performance you're looking at the Ryzen 1600 overclocked to 1600X speed. CPU runs to about £180, maybe £60-80 for a new motherboard and £80 to replace the 8GB of memory. Call it £350.An AM3+ motherboard has no meaningful future upgrade prospects from a 1100T for gaming. You could spend <£50 if you fancy the overclocking boost but I wouldn't spend anything else on it.

What would be a decent motherboard to go for with good OC capability and what memory? I think I will sell my existing components and source the replacement ones from CEX/Ebay. I built my current system in 2011 I believe and should of invested in a beter motherboard and ram and don't want to do the same mistake. Thanks for your input guys :-)
rollercoaster632 h, 3 m ago

I believe and should of invested in a beter motherboard and ram and don't …I believe and should of invested in a beter motherboard and ram and don't want to do the same mistake. Thanks for your input guys :-)

I don't know where you're seeing the limitations that are causing you to upgrade but would 5-10% more performance have made any difference?

Generally high end computing stuff is only worth buying if the cheaper stuff won't do what you want when you buy it.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves12 m ago

I don't know where you're seeing the limitations that are causing you to …I don't know where you're seeing the limitations that are causing you to upgrade but would 5-10% more performance have made any difference?Generally high end computing stuff is only worth buying if the cheaper stuff won't do what you want when you buy it.

My existing motherboard ASUS M4A88T-V is not great at OC and I can only reach 3.7ghz with a after market cooler. I was thinking to upgrade to 16gb ram, better motherboard to get some more life out my system on the cheap if I could source the parts used. Also planned to sell the 1100t to go towards a FX8350 at some point.
rollercoaster632 h, 37 m ago

My existing motherboard ASUS M4A88T-V is not great at OC and I can only …My existing motherboard ASUS M4A88T-V is not great at OC and I can only reach 3.7ghz with a after market cooler. I was thinking to upgrade to 16gb ram, better motherboard to get some more life out my system on the cheap if I could source the parts used. Also planned to sell the 1100t to go towards a FX8350 at some point.

The FX8350 isn't that big of a step due to poor single core performance. CEX sell the i7 4770K @ £170 and the standard i7 4770 @ £135. Then it's just a z97 board on top off ebay for around £50.

Then again a FX9590 is only £90 off CEX
uk.webuy.com/pro…90A

Check out the benchmarks but I would pay the extra for the intel platform.
anandtech.com/ben…828
HWBot puts the average 1100T overclock at 4.07Ghz. If your chip turns out to be middle of the road then would you notice any benefit from 10% more CPU performance? That's a CPU limited game running at 55fps instead of 50fps, or a video transcode taking four and a half minutes instead of five.
so are you overclocking or upgrading? your previous thread was for upgrading.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants