what's a good price for engine oil SAE 5w -30?

Found 14th Sep 2017
Hi,
Just checked the oil on my Ford Focus 1.8 Automatic 07reg and it's on the edge so need to top up. Any advice as I've not done it before.
What is a good price and how much will I need to buy just for a top up?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

Either it has not had an oil change in a long time or it is burning oil. As for cost that depends how much you like the car, Home and bargains normally have most grades quite cheap. As it is 10 years old and you are just topping up I would just go for a budget brand. As for how much you need to buy, 1 litre should easily do it if it is around or just below he min mark, if it is burning or losing oil regularly it may be worth investing in 4 plus litres so you are not constantly buying litre bottles.
Don't just pour in the bottle. Do about 200ml at a time and give it a few mins to run down to the bottom of the engine keep checking the level before adding more, you can get away with a little over max. Keep wiping the dipstick with a clean rag so you are sure we're the new level is at.

Do you know when it last had an oil change? ideally every 12,000 miles at the most on your average 10 year old car.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 14th Sep 2017

This video should help, don't worry if your oil on the dipstick is black, it turns black after just a few thousand miles, the main thing is that it does not feel gritty and you have not gone much over 12,000 miles.

And this one

I'd recommend Quantum Platinum 5W40 - it is recommended for Ford M2C917-A.

You can get it on ebay delivered for £20 for 5 litres. More than what you need for a top up but I always like to have some spare hanging around as I also have an older car!

ebay.co.uk/itm…UYW

31982815-vMkRw.jpgAnd this one

If you do decide to take it for an oil change, ask them what grade oil they will be using? If they can not tell you the correct grade walk away, avoid back street garages and remember you are only there for an oil change, don't let them start telling you that you need new clutch or a steering rack, you did not go in for an MOT so they should not have been checking or looking for more work.

Also I'm sure you know this but don't ever check the coolant level why the engine is hot or you risk serious burns as it can quickly gush out when hot, allow the engine to cool for at least an hour.

Or alternatively get a service done properly by a decent garage

POWYSWALES4 h, 37 m ago

If you do decide to take it for an oil change, ask them what grade oil …If you do decide to take it for an oil change, ask them what grade oil they will be using? If they can not tell you the correct grade walk away, avoid back street garages and remember you are only there for an oil change, don't let them start telling you that you need new clutch or a steering rack, you did not go in for an MOT so they should not have been checking or looking for more work.Also I'm sure you know this but don't ever check the coolant level why the engine is hot or you risk serious burns as it can quickly gush out when hot, allow the engine to cool for at least an hour.

Whilst I agree to an extent, a decent mechanic/garage should advise the customer on any faults they see, halfords kwik fit et al have caused most car owners to be of the assumption that all garages are 'at it' and advise of works that are not needed, when this isn't always true.

use clickmechanic.com if you actually want to change your oil, I am aware that you've only asked how to top it up though

someone will change your oil on your drive for a good price(most likely cheaper than anywhere), you'll also then see what oil is put in and get a local mobile mechanics number out of it at the same time

after finding a local mobile mechanic with 30+ years experience, I wont go back to using regular garages

Original Poster

Thanks for your help everyone!
I think it was changed in its last service but that was at the start of the year and I do double the average miles so not surprised it needs topping up. I'm sure a litre of budget will do me.
Thanks x
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants