Whats a good starter 50cc Scooter please £900-£1400

Posted 3rd Sep 2020
hi,

i was curious on what would be a good 50cc scooter to buy at the moment for this budget, ive watched tube vids and looked around but its always mixed in comments etc and this is alot of money for me right now and i dont want to buy something thats bad or will let me down. So please if anyone can help me on this i would be very grateful as ive never bought a scooter and know very little. also i heard they can be quite loud!

i also have a provisional and found out you have to have a CBT as well but not sure if needed to go on the road at start....
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Yes you need to do CBT before going on the road. At the moment many schools are requiring that you have your own kit for the course (normally you can borrow gloves/helmet/jacket from the school) because they cannot allow kit sharing because covid. Go to a proper shop for helmet fitting - a helmet that doesn't fit properly is dangerous.

CBT is pretty straightforward and is just making sure you are safe to be let out. Morning on a private test area doing basic stuff like figure 8, u - turns, braking, etc. and afternoon having a test ride with the instructor on the road. Stay calm, be smooth with the controls, look around and dont forget to turn off your indicators.

Do CBT before buying a moped.

The best 50cc is one that is close to you and works and is in good condition and cheap.
I'd stick to known brands rather than chinese stuff. ie peugeot, aprilia, because the build quality is decent and there are millions of them about so spares are easy. but if a cheap chinese thing turned up and looked in decent nick I'd not rule it out.

I regularly see 50cc peds for £500 and under on local facebook groups.

Do you have any friends/relatives who are mechanically aware that could go with you to look at a ped?

edit - presume youre 16 and have bike provisional on your licence?
Edited by: "mas99" 3rd Sep
You need to have completed and passed a CBT course before you are allowed on the road. These aren't normally too expensive and will take you a morning of your time to complete, all equipment should be provided for you.
Do your cbt and get a 125cc. Those 50cc mopeds are dangerous and you can get a good used 125 for the money you state you have. 50cc don’t have enough power to handle anything above 35 , don’t have power to get you out of trouble and generally have smaller wheels so you’ll feel the pot holes a lot more. Been riding for many many years started on a 100 cc.
discozohan03/09/2020 10:03

Do your cbt and get a 125cc. Those 50cc mopeds are dangerous and you can …Do your cbt and get a 125cc. Those 50cc mopeds are dangerous and you can get a good used 125 for the money you state you have. 50cc don’t have enough power to handle anything above 35 , don’t have power to get you out of trouble and generally have smaller wheels so you’ll feel the pot holes a lot more. Been riding for many many years started on a 100 cc.

Unless they're only 16 and just starting out!
Dyslexic_Dog03/09/2020 10:12

Unless they're only 16 and just starting out!

You are right my friend. Didn’t think of that.
discozohan03/09/2020 10:03

Do your cbt and get a 125cc. Those 50cc mopeds are dangerous and you can …Do your cbt and get a 125cc. Those 50cc mopeds are dangerous and you can get a good used 125 for the money you state you have. 50cc don’t have enough power to handle anything above 35 , don’t have power to get you out of trouble and generally have smaller wheels so you’ll feel the pot holes a lot more. Been riding for many many years started on a 100 cc.

50cc is likely to be limited to 30. While everything you say is correct, the fact that the op specifically asks about 50cc implies that they are 16 and a 125 is not an option.
I'm an old git and rode a 50cc without needing to do a CBT but I wish I had done. It was fine in town traffic but get on a 40 mph road and its not very safe, everyone is desperate to get around you as quickly and closely as they possibly can. If you're 17 or over do the CBT and get a Honda or yamaha 125cc for cheap. I have a Honda Cbr125r and love it, good enough in it to hold your place on the road. If you're 16 I'd save up and wait until you're 17 and get a 125cc
thanks for the awesome input i will look thru it all and yeah sorry i forgot to say im defo over 17 just didnt wanna look stupid not having ridden a scooter and also learning to drive a car this year at age of 35+ but it was never needed before till now
Post a comment
@
    Text