Groups

What’s a quick, easy and free way to share a short text document on the web?

I have a text document which is currently less than a page or so that I want to publish on the web so it can be read in a browser without needing to be downloaded.
    What’s a quick, free and easy way to do this?
    Initially it’s for an invited audience so not concerned about search engine optimisation. It’s a temporary document for consultation and if required I can then look at creating a website for the project later on.

I’d like to be able to do the following in roughly this order of importance:
    1. To be able to edit and expand it.
    2. For people to be able to add comments which can be replied to or removed by me.

Would a Blog cover this?

11 Comments

Sounds like something that would be done to a Facebook comment - If it's worth it create a Facebook page for it! You can invite people to see it - you don't have to be friends with them on Facebook and you can edit/delete comments and edit the article!

Edited by: "crd67" 8th May

how about a shared doc on google drive or Dropbox, I don't know if this would work but I'm sure I've heard people do this.

wordpress used to be pretty easy to use. Is that still going?
    Edited by: "paulmcuk" 8th May

A blog is for posting content for people to view enmasse, definitely not the right tool here.

Use Google drive. Get a free account, create a new word doc, copy and paste your text into it, give it a name (top left). No need to save it as it auto saves every time a change is made.
    Go back to your drive, right click the document you made -> Share and then you can get send a link to their email or get a link to allow people to just view it, or view and edit it in real time.
    Recommendations of Facebook and wordpress are ridiculous and odd.
    ource: I'm a 22 year old software and web developer
    Edited by: "Kurfew" 9th May

Websitbuilder.com is much easier than Wordpress, looks great and is free if you can suffer a small advert at the bottom...

Kurfew

A blog is for posting content for people to view enmasse, definitely not … A blog is for posting content for people to view enmasse, definitely not the right tool here.Use Google drive. Get a free account, create a new word doc, copy and paste your text into it, give it a name (top left). No need to save it as it auto saves every time a change is made.Go back to your drive, right click the document you made -> Share and then you can get send a link to their email or get a link to allow people to just view it, or view and edit it in real time.Recommendations of Facebook and wordpress are ridiculous and odd. ource: I'm a 22 year old software and web developer

My recommendation for the use of Facebook is much better than your as your suggestion only answers the first point, how would the second point be addressed?
    "2. For people to be able to add comments which can be replied to or removed by me."
    (Remember to read the question in full before giving your answer was always said prior to an exam question)
    In response if you suggest allowing those with access to edit the document (which was not requested by the poster of the question) it can led to them rewriting/editing the text!

Microsoft Sharepoint.

I think a Blog might be the answer...perhaps Wordpress or Wix?

crd67

My recommendation for the use of Facebook is much better than your as … My recommendation for the use of Facebook is much better than your as your suggestion only answers the first point, how would the second point be addressed? "2. For people to be able to add comments which can be replied to or removed by me."(Remember to read the question in full before giving your answer was always said prior to an exam question)In response if you suggest allowing those with access to edit the document (which was not requested by the poster of the question) it can led to them rewriting/editing the text!

It is possible to give people non-edit access to a Google Doc which still allows them to leave comments on the document. The way in which Google Docs handles comments may even be an advantage in this case because it allows them to be left in specific places in the document. All depends on what is needed.

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies all.
    I'll take a look at some of them and report back when I've made my choice.

crd67

My recommendation for the use of Facebook is much better than your as … My recommendation for the use of Facebook is much better than your as your suggestion only answers the first point, how would the second point be addressed? "2. For people to be able to add comments which can be replied to or removed by me."(Remember to read the question in full before giving your answer was always said prior to an exam question)In response if you suggest allowing those with access to edit the document (which was not requested by the poster of the question) it can led to them rewriting/editing the text!

How? Facebook is so much easier and quicker!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Recommend a free reminder app1312
      2. parquet floor sanded34
      3. I am hoping to sound you good people out about an idea...55
      4. ebay33

See more discussions