Whats Amazon Marketplace like to sell on?

I have lots of degree text books and childrens books to sell (around 300) and have been advised to use Amazon Marketplace.

Some of my books are already being sold by other people for only 10p or so and I wondered whether the item is still likely to sell if you're not the cheapest on there,

and also, Amazon charge a standard £2 odd postage, what if my book is heavier than that and would cost more to post?

Just wanted some opinions from people who have used them before really or know how the system works.
Thanks, rep waiting x

9 Comments

You still send the item, even if it costs more than Amazon's allowance. Some of them are generous, and some are poor. I got £3.40 to send an original xbox, but £4.39 to send headphones. Your item will only sell if more expensive if it is in a better condition.

Some of my books are already being sold by other people for only 10p or so and I wondered whether the item is still likely to sell if you're not the cheapest on there,

Well, you'll probably get 10p, or if the ones currently on amazon for 10p are still there, you might not even sell it.

and also, Amazon charge a standard £2 odd postage, what if my book is heavier than that and would cost more to post?

Well, yeah, usually when an item is heavier, it costs more to send.

Also - they charge you for selling when it sells, and monthly for using their site £28

You won't sell if you are not the cheapest (not to me, anyway!).

You have to factor the additional postage into your item price. It's to stop people charging 1p for the book and £19.99 for the postage.

You might want to consider [URL="http:http://www.greenmetropolis.com///"]green metropolis [/URL]for a bit of fun.

Or find the right sort of message forum for your subject (Yahoo groups) and give them a go. Or put a note up in your local UNi.

Childrens books - do job lot bundles of 10 on ebay - can't compare a bundle with anyone else as it will be unique.

or give the books to a local school

Original Poster

icecreamwoman;7348315

Also - they charge you for selling when it sells, and monthly for using … Also - they charge you for selling when it sells, and monthly for using their site £28

Seriously?! didn't know that.

virus;7348322

You might want to consider … You might want to consider [URL="http:http://www.greenmetropolis.com///"]green metropolis [/URL]for a bit of fun.Or find the right sort of message forum for your subject (Yahoo groups) and give them a go. Or put a note up in your local UNi.Childrens books - do job lot bundles of 10 on ebay - can't compare a bundle with anyone else as it will be unique.

I'l check out the link,thanks. Am on freecycle and my local 'cheap cycle' but being in the middle of lincolnshire not particularly near a uni, not much interest and have moved away from uni now so can't get back to pop them on a notice board unfortunately.

Job lot bundles is a good idea, don't like using ebay though, might have to wait until summer and hold book stalls on a boot sale or something.

Text books are between £3 and £7 and the children's books I need a standard £1 a book back, just need an outlet to sell them at where they'll get people looking at them! (not hinting to sell them here, listed my text books and had no interest)

Original Poster

virus;7348334

or give the books to a local school

Lol, I would love to be rich enough to just give them away, but 70 odd text books worth an average of £6 to me, and 200+ kids books is cash I can't afford to just give away unfortunately.

Be very careful of selling stuff via Amazon marketplace.

I sold a book through the marketplace some time ago, it was brand new and not even a mark nor a crease in the book. Sold it for £10.

2 weeks later, the buyer then claimed to Amazon that the book was in a tatty condition and all marked. Amazon automatically refunded the buyer and told me that there was no obligation for the buyer to return the book.

So the buyer gets the book and a refund. I lose the book and the money, or so they thought.

Amazon will refund the buyer and then charge your card for the refund amount. However as I had a prepay debit card on record with only a few pence on it then they couldnt get the money back.

While I attempted to reason with them regarding this, they spat the dummy out and suspended my Amazon sellers account.

From the 5 years that I had successfully sold items via the marketplace without issue they refused to reason on anything I said or asked of them on this one transaction.

Just a word of caution based on my experience.

StevenA2000_uk;7348973

Be very careful of selling stuff via Amazon marketplace.I sold a book … Be very careful of selling stuff via Amazon marketplace.I sold a book through the marketplace some time ago, it was brand new and not even a mark nor a crease in the book. Sold it for £10.2 weeks later, the buyer then claimed to Amazon that the book was in a tatty condition and all marked. Amazon automatically refunded the buyer and told me that there was no obligation for the buyer to return the book. So the buyer gets the book and a refund. I lose the book and the money, or so they thought.Amazon will refund the buyer and then charge your card for the refund amount. However as I had a prepay debit card on record with only a few pence on it then they couldnt get the money back.While I attempted to reason with them regarding this, they spat the dummy out and suspended my Amazon sellers account. From the 5 years that I had successfully sold items via the marketplace without issue they refused to reason on anything I said or asked of them on this one transaction.Just a word of caution based on my experience.

same thing happened me, they seem to automatically find in the buyers favour all the time and refuse to involve themselves in any discussion ,their stance would seem to encourage this type of scam

why not try one of the book swapping websites if you cant sell them at least you get something rather than nothing
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4552123
    2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp1122
    3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
    4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546

See more discussions