Groups

What's been your biggest NON-HUKD bargain?

Inspired by this thread; hotukdeals.com/ite…tch

Whats been your biggest bargain which you didn't source or buy from HUKD?

I have two really;

Went to a bootsale with my mum one day and spotted a really mucky pair of straighteners. Asked how much they were and paid £1 for them. Took them home and cleaned off what turned out to be foundation (think they'd been kept in a make up bag.)
    Plugged them in, turned them on and voila, a pair of pink limited edition GHD straighteners. Checked they were authentic and they were. Gave them to my mum as I already had a pair- they're still going strong, she loves them. She was there when I got them so she knows what I paid and helped me clean them up-I didn't give them as a present or anything lol.

Second bargain, theres a dingy little charity shop in a local village that's like an Aladdin's cave. Under a rack of clothes they keep a washbasket full of handbags and I always have a look through them when I'm in there cos they're only 50p. Once I found a nice brown leather looking bag, looked inside to see if there was a maker's label and found a Harrod's label. Took it home to inspect it and found a further label stating its Italian leather etc etc. I've not sold it for profit or anything, kept hold of it 'cos it's lovely. I did end up giving the shop a fiver as I would have felt really guilty giving 50p, but I still feel a bit bad I didn't give them more.

Anyway, they were my best bargains! Come on, spill-what have you found in the past?
    x

67 Comments

psp slim £15 gumtree, because it doesnt play games from umd drive. now playing games from memory sick. lol.

Won an aution for brand new gucci top of the range snowboarding gear (jacket and pants) for ~£80 off ebay from france, fully aware that it may be a con/fake and the seller will have the last laugh..

RRP was ~ £600 at the time, 2 weeks later found a parcel for me from france, couldnt really believe my luck, but had to be sure I checked the authenticity of it.. luckily it was all goodd... and now i've been using it for about 3 seasons now and its still going strong. :-D

Oh and this year got a new snowboard (current season) for ~50% of the price.. (£150 off), not a huge biggie but snowboard sales are hard to find (brand new and current season)

lakers jersey, bought in on ebay for 10 quid brand new, cost $200 on the nba site

Original Poster

Lol some great bargains there! and I agree with you about the snowboard thing-just cos it wasn't 50p or anything doesn't mean it's not a bargain. There are some brands/items which I can NEVER get on sale and half price would certainly cheer me up!

Carley;7657840

oh and I won a projector on eBay for £175, company went bust the very … oh and I won a projector on eBay for £175, company went bust the very next day so I (successfully) claimed back my £175 from paypal, a month later the projector mysteriously turned up!

That happened to my mum with an 'industrial tens machine'-not as brutal as it sounds, but one of the large ones, not the handheld pocket sized versions. Cost her a bit then ebay mysteriously deleted the seller, not giving any contact details or reasoning. Mum got her money back through paypal, but a week later the machine arrived. Ebay wouldn't give us any information so she got her cash and the machine. Excellent. lol.

micoo;7657845

lakers jersey, bought in on ebay for 10 quid brand new, cost $200 on the … lakers jersey, bought in on ebay for 10 quid brand new, cost $200 on the nba site

I did the same thing yesterday!

paz2k6;7657941

nice :lol:

Original Poster

Carley;7658016

was it from Clockworx Limited by any chance?

Ugh Goodness knows, it was about 3 years ago now! The name doesn't ring a bell though. Ebay just deleted them even though we'd paid quite a bit of money. We had no contact details, no nothing. Good really that we had Paypal to fall back on, they are a pain sometimes but sometimes they help you out of the dung lol.

I once ordered two cat beds for £10 and when they turned up there was a brand new Wharfdale twin dvd player inside (worth £180). Rang the company, they didn't want to know as they only sold pet stuff :w00t:

Absolute bargain, and the cats love their beds :thumbsup:

Banned

micoo;7657845

lakers jersey, bought in on ebay for 10 quid brand new, cost $200 on the … lakers jersey, bought in on ebay for 10 quid brand new, cost $200 on the nba site

paz2k6;7657941

same price in my tk maxx

8 pairs of specs from goggles4u?

Ordered and paid for 4 pairs, didn't turn up. Told to order 4 more, didn't turn up. Claimed refund from ccnow. 1 week later 4 pairs arrived, week after that the other 4 arrived.

Found a copy of Pure Effect by Derren Brown for £1.50 in Oxfam. Good times.

Original Poster

bishibashi;7658073

Found a copy of Pure Effect by Derren Brown for £1.50 in Oxfam. Good … Found a copy of Pure Effect by Derren Brown for £1.50 in Oxfam. Good times.

Never heard of it but just looked it up on the 'bay and 'good times' is right! Bargain!

You gotta know what to look for I suppose- I wouldn't have known that book was particularly rare tbh.

ODB_69;7658047

same price in my tk maxx

ye ive seen them too, but theyre trainin jerseys considered gettin one

Smashed my iPhone 3g last week instead of getting a repair job got offerd a 16gb iPhone gs for 35 quid excess

Thought that was a bargin of sorts

Honestly this is true ....I bought a Volvo 340 G Reg (that's 1989 version) for £140 advertised in Post Office window. It lasted me 7 years and I just traded it in under scrappage scheme for a new Yaris, so got £2000 for it :thumbsup:

storysacks;7658089

Never heard of it but just looked it up on the 'bay and 'good times' is … Never heard of it but just looked it up on the 'bay and 'good times' is right! Bargain!You gotta know what to look for I suppose- I wouldn't have known that book was particularly rare tbh.

Haha, true. I have a good memory for books for some reason - don't want to sell it though, I'd like to read it first at least. It'll probably go straight over my head. In terms of expensive books, I remember seeing Mark Ryden's Anima Mundi for £20 (I was about 15, didn't have enough money for it...). Bad times. I still want it, I'm some hermit book collector I guess :?

Dont know tbh, but I do know I got a game called Terranigma 11 years ago for £15 sealed and now it goes for upwards of £50 but dont know to classify that as a bargain.

I got a second hand Dreamcast about 5 years ago for £1.

A clothes shop was closing down recently so got stuff like Cat jeans for £2, Yves Saint Lauren shirts and jumpers for £2 etc all new.

I dont really keep track of stuff like that, I normally buy things second hand or new and sell for what they are worth when selling.

An Alsation x Labrador puppy for £20 about 6 years ago.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/harlzter/dogs/Harlzter2.jpg

Not because he was cheap, but because he is the reason my partner and I are together and I have two handsome lads, as I was walking the little furball (yes that used to fit in my hand) through town and he was a proper chick magnet, but this one particular girl I really took a fancy too made some small talk exchanged numbers and here we are now 6 years on and still in the same wonderful relationship, all down to a £20 pup!!!!

I bought a fireplace from a local auction for 10 quid. It was thick with paint (that horrible wood grain effect). I was doing up my first house at the time and thought I could smarten it up/strip off the piant etc.
    When I stripped it it was solid black slate and really ornately decorated, far too fancy for my liking but I could see the appeal. I never fit it, but when the gas fella came to fit the fire he took it off my hands for £1500. He later told mer he had sold it to a customer for £2500 fit.

My best deal was probably my TV, got it of ebay. It's a 42" HD ready Akura(japanese brand), i bought it some years ago now when the cheapest new 42" was around £800+. I got it for about £460 including delivery, with a Free 3-tier glass stand(which alone retailed at almost £100 at the time), and free wall mounts.

Still working perfectly too.

I got a Hugo Boss suit from a car boot sale a few years ago. I managed to get the woman down to a fiver as it had an ink stain on the inside pen pocket.
    Stuck it on ebay with loads of photos and was totally honest about the stain - it sold for £105! Good times.

Banned

FLANBAY;7658140

Honestly this is true ....I bought a Volvo 340 G Reg (that's 1989 … Honestly this is true ....I bought a Volvo 340 G Reg (that's 1989 version) for £140 advertised in Post Office window. It lasted me 7 years and I just traded it in under scrappage scheme for a new Yaris, so got £2000 for it :thumbsup:

Wow flanbay.

You did really well :thumbsup:

Banned

harlzter;7658457

An Alsation x Labrador puppy for £20 about 6 years ago.Not because he was … An Alsation x Labrador puppy for £20 about 6 years ago.Not because he was cheap, but because he is the reason my partner and I are together and I have two handsome lads, as I was walking the little furball (yes that used to fit in my hand) through town and he was a proper chick magnet, but this one particular girl I really took a fancy too made some small talk exchanged numbers and here we are now 6 years on and still in the same wonderful relationship, all down to a £20 pup!!!!

Aw, nice story H :thumbsup:

Original Poster

~Some real bargains here! great storys! x

Not my best but most recent that i can remember is when i bought 'The Chronicles of Narnia Collection' Hardback Books(Near enough Brand New) for £9.99 at a Charity Shop.

I found an envelope of £500 cash in £20 notes on the pavement.
    that was a happy day for me!

DAMNOME;7665006

I found an envelope of £500 cash in £20 notes on the pavement.that was a h … I found an envelope of £500 cash in £20 notes on the pavement.that was a happy day for me!

donate all to haiti, now (!)

harlzter;7658457

An Alsation x Labrador puppy for £20 about 6 years ago.Not because he was … An Alsation x Labrador puppy for £20 about 6 years ago.Not because he was cheap, but because he is the reason my partner and I are together and I have two handsome lads, as I was walking the little furball (yes that used to fit in my hand) through town and he was a proper chick magnet, but this one particular girl I really took a fancy too made some small talk exchanged numbers and here we are now 6 years on and still in the same wonderful relationship, all down to a £20 pup!!!!

Aww thats a tear jerker story :cry:

My friends pup woke him up in the night when some clothes he was drying fell onto a heater and caught fire.

A pair of Celestion speaker drivers £20 each! Not that probably makes much sense to most people here No offence!

Original Poster

any more for any more? x

Quite a few years ago I went into my local Cash Generator and picked up a pair of official Nintendo WaveBird controllers for the GameCube, they were a fiver each! I sold them about 5 years later for £30 each..

Original Poster

nickw90;7685325

Quite a few years ago I went into my local Cash Generator and picked up a … Quite a few years ago I went into my local Cash Generator and picked up a pair of official Nintendo WaveBird controllers for the GameCube, they were a fiver each! I sold them about 5 years later for £30 each..

Lol! Nice one!!

nice thread

Ermm well it wasn't an amazing bargain! But saved me about £200 at the time!
    I bought a dell laptop for like £470 like 1.5 years ago and then it broke and went away for repair but after like 5 weeks pcworld sent me a £500 voucher! And then like 2 weeks later I recieved a 10% off voucher for pcworld lol. And then comet were giving away a free time capsule when you bought a mac and pcworld didn't have one so they gave me £80 off as well came to about £217 for the macbook pro once you took off the £500 voucher!

spikeyjacko;7687085

Ermm well it wasn't an amazing bargain! But saved me about £200 at the … Ermm well it wasn't an amazing bargain! But saved me about £200 at the time! I bought a dell laptop for like £470 like 1.5 years ago and then it broke and went away for repair but after like 5 weeks pcworld sent me a £500 voucher! And then like 2 weeks later I recieved a 10% off voucher for pcworld lol. And then comet were giving away a free time capsule when you bought a mac and pcworld didn't have one so they gave me £80 off as well came to about £217 for the macbook pro once you took off the £500 voucher!

Good choice! :thumbsup:

asayer;7687130

Good choice! :thumbsup:

Also the day before the 10% from pcworld came I nearly went and shelled out £400 for one! But then I decided I should do some work and didnt go!

Got some cracking reductions yesterday in wilko's
    grabbed 3 x Hammerite Metalmaster sprayers
    reduced to £3 each
    and 17 cannisters of paint for 50p each,
    in comparison in B&Q the guns are are £43.98 and the paints £16.98

diy.com/diy…y=0

so for £17.50 grabbed £420 (at B&Q prices) worth of gear!

Found a discount code bug with Shop Direct Group site (Littlewoods, Very etc) a year ago, pretty serious.. Caused the site to completely miscalculate the VAT if you did a buy now pay later offer, don't ask me how.. Took a few steps.

Purchased it anyway, got an iMac for 50% off retail price. Rang up Shop Direct Group, told them i found an issue.. Because they had already taken the sale, and credit agreement has been recieved.. They said they wouldn't pursue me for the difference... Told them the issue, to which they thanked me and a few months later said i could have 20% off my next purchase. :whistling:

Was nice getting a brand new iMac for £500.

Sold it shortly after getting it, netting a nice £600 and paying off the account :-D

I've done this a few times with websites - you'd be amazed at how many companies development teams make the same silly errors.

Without previously knowing it walked into an MFI store that was closing down the next day (not going bust, good few years before that). Staff where wandering around like lost sheep. Customers where grabbing everything not screwed to the ground.

Put our name down on two tv units, two cd racks and two shelving units all massively discounted and coming to about £25-£30, can't remember excatly. That day we paid £8 for what would fit in the car and I then returned next morning (Monday) to get the other reserved stuff. By this time the staff had completly given up and the shop was a shell, tills gone rubbish all over the floor. Any way they let met take the rest of the things with no mention of money and sent me on my way. We ended up paying £8 for the lot.

few good bargains I've had are:

- A PS1 for a quid off a nice old lady at a boot fare.
    - A massive George Foreman grill for £3 (again, at the boot fair) - RRP was £40 or more I think. Was almost totally unused and is still going strong!
    - Xbox 360 (HDMI) + 20GB HDD + ~12 games (including Guitar Hero WT bundle) + 2 wireless pads for £70 off my mate. Sold the games I didn't want for a total of about £60 and have recently sold the guitar for £15 or so after postage so I'm in profit :-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…2365
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1861343
      3. love affairs1330
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767250

See more discussions