What's going on with the chicken?

Posted 18th Mar
I have noticed that these are fast disappearing from the supermarket shelves. A week ago there were a lot of chicken on the shelves but now there is hardly any chicken on the poultry isle?

Other meats still seem to be there but not the chicken. Are people stock piling fresh chicken? Are they buying extra freezers?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Have you checked the supermarket on the other side of the road?
mutley118/03/2020 22:23

if we are locked up inside our homes for months, people may resort to …if we are locked up inside our homes for months, people may resort to snorting crushed paracetamol to help them get through the misery i just googled that

It's really not funny mutley.
When all this is done there will be a bid spike in liver problems after people were isolating eating paracetamol on toast going by the quantities some are buying in here!
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell18/03/2020 17:47

i have been to sainsburys, tesco and m&s and they are all out of chicken!
i am only looking for chicken thighs and can't get that as there is no chicken at all except for one or two really expensive ones still left.

update - took me a couple of minutes but have just realised your joke there. lol
Edited by: "mutley1" 18th Mar
98 Comments
People are literally buying everything
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell18/03/2020 17:47

i have been to sainsburys, tesco and m&s and they are all out of chicken!
i am only looking for chicken thighs and can't get that as there is no chicken at all except for one or two really expensive ones still left.

update - took me a couple of minutes but have just realised your joke there. lol
Ioa18/03/2020 17:46

People are literally buying everything

the supermarkets are now putting in restrictions on how many of each item someone can buy so hopefully that will help as no one was listening to their advice about not buying too much.

two customers were arguing with the cashier at tesco this morning when they were told that they are only allowed 3 items and they had more than 3.
A colleague has recently moved house so went to buy a fridge freezer at the weekend and there is a waiting list... Madness
It’s Mince which has been sold out near me
jayhutton1018/03/2020 17:52

A colleague has recently moved house so went to buy a fridge freezer at …A colleague has recently moved house so went to buy a fridge freezer at the weekend and there is a waiting list... Madness

i have been asking hubby over the last two days if we should buy an extra freezer as we only have a small freezer and he says that is a little bit OTT so I haven't done it. but i am now very concerned about the level of fresh food as it is getting more bare this week in comparison to last week where people had left the fresh food alone.
Whatever it is it will be fowl 🤪
Arto18/03/2020 17:53

It’s Mince which has been sold out near me

40133179-6Xzyn.jpg
mutley118/03/2020 17:54

i have been asking hubby over the last two days if we should buy an extra …i have been asking hubby over the last two days if we should buy an extra freezer as we only have a small freezer and he says that is a little bit OTT so I haven't done it. but i am now very concerned about the level of fresh food as it is getting more bare this week in comparison to last week where people had left the fresh food alone.

It will be something else next week...
jayhutton1018/03/2020 18:00

It will be something else next week...

apparently paracetamol is like gold dust now! i was able to get one at tesco this morning but i had to go to customer service and they were only allowing one per person.

we use ibuprofen when we have a cold as i find paracetamol does didly squat for me. we have enough ibuprofen so i wasn't worried until i read that it is supposed to be bad for you if you do have covid 19 as it reduces your immune system, although this is not yet absolutely certain. i did wonder why the chinese were restricting the export of paracetamol earlier in the year and now i know why.
mutley118/03/2020 18:04

apparently paracetamol is like gold dust now! i was able to get one at …apparently paracetamol is like gold dust now! i was able to get one at tesco this morning but i had to go to customer service and they were only allowing one per person.we use ibuprofen when we have a cold as i find paracetamol does didly squat for me. we have enough ibuprofen so i wasn't worried until i read that it is supposed to be bad for you if you do have covid 19 as it reduces your immune system, although this is not yet absolutely certain. i did wonder why the chinese were restricting the export of paracetamol earlier in the year and now i know why.

I was tidying my flat the other day and found about 10 boxes of each that I never knew I had so I’m sorted
Arto18/03/2020 18:05

I was tidying my flat the other day and found about 10 boxes of each that …I was tidying my flat the other day and found about 10 boxes of each that I never knew I had so I’m sorted

where you live? i'll come over
We have loads of chicken but not a lot of beef and no pork whatsoever

apparently paracetamol is like gold dust now! i was able to get one at …apparently paracetamol is like gold dust now! i was able to get one at tesco this morning but i had to go to customer service and they were only allowing one per person.we use ibuprofen when we have a cold as i find paracetamol does didly squat for me. we have enough ibuprofen so i wasn't worried until i read that it is supposed to be bad for you if you do have covid 19 as it reduces your immune system, although this is not yet absolutely certain. i did wonder why the chinese were restricting the export of paracetamol earlier in the year and now i know why.

We get our paracetamols from India, I believe, they stopped export. You should have India in your head, really, here, UK people bombarded with this wave of news independent.co.uk/new…tml

I am not sure about China, though.
Noticed that earlier.

Some stores had a good supply of bacon and steak, but no chicken, practically no fish, mince etc.
Might have to catch next door's cats if push comes to shove
Plenty of wood pigeons around here, and sure some Eastern Europeans will bag the local swan population!

Haven't seen paracetamol at all in the last couple of weeks. Plenty of Ibuprofen though (that's banned in a lot of running races as it thins the blood or something and is dangerous)

My mother went to Tesco this morning a went to buy a packet of steak, pork loins, bacon and some mince and was told only 3 even though they're not all the same product.
No problem with 4 cans of beans that were on offer at 4 for £2.50.

Did see at least one person with 12 tins of the same product walking out the store, so very selective staff.
Edited by: "xenole" 18th Mar
Arto18/03/2020 18:10

Stockton-on-Tees

a little bit far for me to go but if you got any chicken as well, i may consider the trip
xenole18/03/2020 18:16

Noticed that earlier.Some stores had a good supply of bacon and steak, but …Noticed that earlier.Some stores had a good supply of bacon and steak, but no chicken, practically no fish, mince etc.Might have to catch next door's cats if push comes to shove Plenty of wood pigeons around here, and sure some Eastern Europeans will bag the local swan population!Haven't seen paracetamol at all in the last couple of weeks. Plenty of Ibuprofen though (that's banned in a lot of running races as it thins the blood or something and is dangerous)My mother went to Tesco this morning a went to buy a packet of steak, pork loins, bacon and some mince and was told only 3 even though they're not all the same product.No problem with 4 cans of beans that were on offer at 4 for £2.50.Did see at least one person with 12 tins of the same product walking out the store, so very selective staff.

at our tesco it seems to be only certain items that are restricted so you can still buy lots of alcohol if you can find it. i think it is a good idea that restrictions are put in place though as then everyone will have a chance to get something.

i saw on the news this evening that in scotland they had started the early hours for the elderly shopping only, which we are going to see here soon but it also showed the elderly stockpiling and buying in excess and that shouldn't be allowed. if they are going to allow older people to shop first, then they need to impose limits so that there is still something left for the rest of us!
mutley118/03/2020 18:31

a little bit far for me to go but if you got any chicken as well, i may …a little bit far for me to go but if you got any chicken as well, i may consider the trip

I haven’t got anything except dog food as I don’t get paid until tonight, just hope there is some food left in the stores tomorrow
mutley118/03/2020 18:36

at our tesco it seems to be only certain items that are restricted so you …at our tesco it seems to be only certain items that are restricted so you can still buy lots of alcohol if you can find it. i think it is a good idea that restrictions are put in place though as then everyone will have a chance to get something.i saw on the news this evening that in scotland they had started the early hours for the elderly shopping only, which we are going to see here soon but it also showed the elderly stockpiling and buying in excess and that shouldn't be allowed. if they are going to allow older people to shop first, then they need to impose limits so that there is still something left for the rest of us!

It’s changing as of tomorrow morning. Max of 3 per item and multi buy discounts to be removed
40133506-YAvkJ.jpg
Edited by: "Arto" 18th Mar
Arto18/03/2020 18:36

I haven’t got anything except dog food as I don’t get paid until tonight, j …I haven’t got anything except dog food as I don’t get paid until tonight, just hope there is some food left in the stores tomorrow

i was thinking the other day that people without a lot of money are going to suffer the most from all this panic buying as they can't afford to stock pile as they don't have the cash reserve to do so.

we live in an affluent area so people around here can afford to empty a whole shop all by themselves, and have space to store all the stash, if they wanted to, so we are seeing more empty shelves than other areas.

reminds me of a joke

Why can't you find any painkillers in the jungle?

Because the Paracetamol !!!!!

(parrots eat em all)
Pheasants better watch out. Everything else is fair game 😋
ChuckTheDuck18/03/2020 18:40

reminds me of a joke Why can't you find any painkillers in the …reminds me of a joke Why can't you find any painkillers in the jungle?[Image] Because the Paracetamol !!!!! (parrots eat em all)

thanks for the explanation. i would have struggled with that one i am a bit slow on jokes uptake.

apparently paracetamol is like gold dust now! i was able to get one at …apparently paracetamol is like gold dust now! i was able to get one at tesco this morning but i had to go to customer service and they were only allowing one per person.

Well that's inconvenient considering you're supposed to take them 2 at a time.
mutley118/03/2020 18:39

i was thinking the other day that people without a lot of money are going …i was thinking the other day that people without a lot of money are going to suffer the most from all this panic buying as they can't afford to stock pile as they don't have the cash reserve to do so. we live in an affluent area so people around here can afford to empty a whole shop all by themselves, and have space to store all the stash, if they wanted to, so we are seeing more empty shelves than other areas.

Shelves in my area have been empty but hopefully these new rules tomorrow will help me
Yeah, I noticed that the chicken legs I normally buy from Tesco are out of stock this week. But I just roasted a load yesterday (bought them last week), so I am good for a while.
splender18/03/2020 18:12

We get our paracetamols from India, I believe, they stopped export. You …We get our paracetamols from India, I believe, they stopped export. You should have India in your head, really, here, UK people bombarded with this wave of news https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-india-drug-shortage-medicine-europe-imports-outbreak-a9374861.htmlI am not sure about China, though.

The painkiller shortage started last year. Cheap ibuprofen and paracetamol was already hard to find and now cironavirus has made it worse.
"India is one of the world’s largest producers and exporters of drugs, with the US and Europe heavily reliant on the supply.

India’s pharmaceutical companies source about 70% of their ingredients from Chinese factories, many of which have been shut for weeks owing to the coronavirus outbreak. The closure of airports in China has also impeded supplies reaching India."

Like splender said, India has stopped or reduced the exportation of Paracetamol and other drugs.
Edited by: "tamoil" 18th Mar

I picked up at Poundland yesterday. They were allowing 3 packs of 16 each, for £1 total.
I got paracetamol in Tesco today they only allowed 1 box of 32, then I got 2 x16 in Asda and 2 x 16 in savers. But there’s a shelf full in savers.. still no toilet paper but..
Bargainhead18/03/2020 20:06

I got paracetamol in Tesco today they only allowed 1 box of 32, then I got …I got paracetamol in Tesco today they only allowed 1 box of 32, then I got 2 x16 in Asda and 2 x 16 in savers. But there’s a shelf full in savers.. still no toilet paper but..

How much money for each packet please? I didn't want to pay £3 for 32 yesterday.
I got a box of 32 paracetamol caplets for 75p , as well a two boxes of 16 ibuprofen tablets, 49p each from Superdrug last week.
Supplies will normalise in two weeks. People can stock up only so much. I spoke to someone in China a few weeks back about this specific thing, because I knew it was going to happen here. He said that after a few weeks shelves were full again.

So I prepared based on his advice. I did on hoard, but made small backups over the last few weeks for when supplies get disrupted. I was especially concerned because I live with someone at risk.
tamoil18/03/2020 20:19

I got a box of 32 paracetamol caplets for 75p , as well a two boxes of 16 …I got a box of 32 paracetamol caplets for 75p , as well a two boxes of 16 ibuprofen tablets, 49p each from Superdrug last week.

Do you suffer from migraines?
Arto18/03/2020 18:58

Shelves in my area have been empty but hopefully these new rules tomorrow …Shelves in my area have been empty but hopefully these new rules tomorrow will help me

Somehow think the buying limits won’t do much in store. People determined to buy 10 packs of toilet roll will just go through the checkouts as many times as necessary. Hopefully panic buying will calm down in a week or two & normal(ish) service will resume. Let’s be honest, even with some empty shelves there’s still plenty of food in the shops - even if it’s not what we would normally buy.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 18th Mar
captainbeaky18/03/2020 20:24

Somehow think the buying limits won’t do much in store. People d …Somehow think the buying limits won’t do much in store. People determined to buy 10 packs of toilet roll will just go through the checkouts as many times as necessary.

Hopefully the extra security they will have hired will kick them out.
It's a mad world at the moment. I met up to do a swap of eggs I wanted for some hummus I bought
splender18/03/2020 20:13

How much money for each packet please? I didn't want to pay £3 for 32 …How much money for each packet please? I didn't want to pay £3 for 32 yesterday.

I cannot be sure if the practice is widely available, but a pharmacist sold my a pack that were really meant to be given on prescription only.

(please no mental response, it's been a heavy day and I can't possibly think how or why you would need to do so )
Edited by: "OllieSt" 18th Mar
splender18/03/2020 20:13

How much money for each packet please? I didn't want to pay £3 for 32 …How much money for each packet please? I didn't want to pay £3 for 32 yesterday.

19p savers 16 tab
49p Lidl 16 tab
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants