What's going on with the site today?

Posted 27th Jan
at the risk of having this discussion deleted like everything else said against the behemoth of Pepper group atm.

what's going on with deals today?

36 Screwfix deals have been posted today (so far) many from PEP members and Editors - compared to 2 yesterday and one the day before!

now I have flagged Screwfix deals in the past for self promo when clearly posted by staff (images taken in branch with picking guns present in photos)

are we to assume that HUKD are being given some loose change from the pockets of Kingfisher Group?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
andywedge27/01/2020 17:56

@360finder Hate to disappoint you but no company hands over loose change …@360finder Hate to disappoint you but no company hands over loose change (or any money) in return for deals being posted. I can only guess that Screwfix have dropped the prices on a number of items and these have been spotted by Peps, Editors and the members.

I really can’t believe that at exactly the same time this morning a number of different Pepper Experts happened to be browsing the Screwfix website and suddenly found a load of deals all independently of each other and decided to post them. It looked very much as if some kind of Screwfix deals list had been released to certain people.
I’ve had my issues with the site and Pep program and voiced them many a time. Having said that, this thread is cringeworthy.

Select Pep Experts- You’ve done yourselves no favours goading members. You’ve made yourselves bigger targets and likely increased resentment. You might have had enough of being targeted, but that's what the mods are here for. Report and move on. Be the bigger person.

Site users- I can see why some of you would not make a great police officer/detective. You’re paranoid as hell and it’s now reaching levels where a step back from the site for a little period of time, may be needed.

Screwfix sent out emails through the night alerting members that there is a sale on. I got it as did probably thousands more of Screwfix’s customers. It is a big sale. What happened is, people likely saw this and went looking for deals to post. Whether that be Editors, Peps or regular site users. Maybe some didn’t get the email but noticed other users posting deals who did and then went searching. It happens every eBay code, every Black Friday, hell, it happens every single day at midnight for Amazon, Argos and more.

Anyone wondering about how Peps and site editors know about deals being on? Because they know the pattern of when deals go live every single day. If you’d been here for any length of time and posted deals for the period too, it’s pretty easy to spot. Sorry in advance to deal posters if I blow some of the secrets, but to name a few:

Amazon’s big update is at midnight.
Argos will update their prices on their eBay store first just after midnight. You then have to add an item to the basket on the Argos store to see the updated price.
Game is usually every Thursday morning in the early hours
The Game Collection is after midnight.
Smyths Toys is after midnight

That’s just to name a few. There are price comparison sites out there that allow you to see recent price changes. These are used on Xbox/Playstation deals. Some people just do it the old fashioned way of keeping an eye on a product’s price and posting once it drops. It’s nothing to do with backhanders from Pepper to the Peps. It’s nothing to do with Peps getting back handers from retailers (if they did/do, it won’t last. Especially as HUKDs has tools to find out when the retailers are at it, as per the recent suspensions given to Asda/John Lewis). It’s simply mass emails being sent out/knowing the patterns or just simple deal hunting.

Are there issues with the Pep program? Absolutely. Are there issues with inconsistencies of moderation? Definitely. Some of you are looking for conspiracy where there is none now though. It’s getting silly. The way some of you react to people like @BuzzDuraband and @Chanchi32 posting deals is ridiculous considering how heavily they posted deals before becoming editors, for free in their spare time. They now get paid to find those deals and have to waft through the crap non-deals sent to them by retailers trying to hoodwink you all. So what? Deal with it. They haven’t changed. They are still trying to find you good deals.

/rant

39778993-DLosN.jpg
eslick27/01/2020 19:54

The odd thing about this was that it started by an editor earlier today, …The odd thing about this was that it started by an editor earlier today, suddenly most of the PEP joined in and the site was wash, the editor and two PEP posted 11 deals between them in an hour. Now it’s all well and good deals getting posted but the oddity if this one is if anyone else had spammed this much one company deals in such a short space of time everyone would have gone cold. guessing it was a partner deals that started it off, we know PEP don’t know about partner deals but they must have grabbed the big gun editors coat tales and had a look themselves. Then the site followed.good to see a couple of PEPs not jump in the bandwagon, those are the experts I know we can trust, not saying we can’t trust the others but they aren’t here just for the numbers which it looks like some are. I have nothing against PEP at all before anyone thinks I have but like editor and staff deals I normally just scroll by most of them

I keep seeing you comment about me so let me respond. Last night I saw Screwfix dropped the prices (I think there were in excess of 500+ changes as part of their warehouse clearance). I posted two deals and one of the deals i tried to group the various price drops on clothing etc as not to spam the site, which for the record I found independently, there was no insider info etc. Contrary to what I keep seeing you comment, I spend a considerable amount of time trying to find my own deals/content, as I have done for many years. Regards
Edited by: "Chanchi32" 27th Jan
Phsycronix27/01/2020 19:33

I do know however than when something is a "thorn" in my side - I pluck it …I do know however than when something is a "thorn" in my side - I pluck it out...

Don't think any of the staff think that the Pep's are an issue, quite the opposite; they often post great content. The issue is more the minority who think there's some kind of conspiracy going on behind the scenes, but that's just not the case at all, as has been explained time and time again.
94 Comments
Yeh, noticed that, my thumbs are worn out lol
@360finder
Hate to disappoint you but no company hands over loose change (or any money) in return for deals being posted. I can only guess that Screwfix have dropped the prices on a number of items and these have been spotted by Peps, Editors and the members.
deleted1794535
esar27/01/2020 17:54

Yeh, noticed that, my thumbs are worn out lol

I have noticed the early morning similarity of a few PEPs

One post one deal for store X and then another posts 2 deals for store X.

Always the same 2! Constantly (in my opinion) spamming the board with rubbish to earn a penny or two.
deleted1794535

@360finder Hate to disappoint you but no company hands over loose change …@360finder Hate to disappoint you but no company hands over loose change (or any money) in return for deals being posted. I can only guess that Screwfix have dropped the prices on a number of items and these have been spotted by Peps, Editors and the members.

There must be some reason for a 1700% increase in deals from one merchant.
Don't really care. I got a new tap yesterday from screwfix for £40 instead of £115. And still £115 in B&Q. Saved me £75 so i'm happy. The sites about helping people save, and its what it done. oh, and yes, i did need a tap .
some people are never happy are they? they complain when there is not enough deals posted and they complain if there are too many deals posted!

screwfix is having a clearance sale and that is probably why there are a lot of deals flagged up. i got some basin taps as well as whole load of other stuff from screwfix that i can't even remember!
deleted1794535
cornishscouse27/01/2020 18:04

Don't really care. I got a new tap yesterday from screwfix for £40 instead …Don't really care. I got a new tap yesterday from screwfix for £40 instead of £115. And still £115 in B&Q. Saved me £75 so i'm happy. The sites about helping people save, and its what it done. oh, and yes, i did need a tap .

Same company, exactly the same tap. What's it really worth?
deleted1794535
mutley127/01/2020 18:08

some people are never happy are they? they complain when there is not …some people are never happy are they? they complain when there is not enough deals posted and they complain if there are too many deals posted! screwfix is having a clearance sale and that is probably why there are a lot of deals flagged up. i got some basin taps as well as whole load of other stuff from screwfix that i can't even remember!

I just find a 1700% increase in deals strange.

As many of the deals are from PEP or paid staff editors I found it unusual.
deleted1175484
Just don’t mention
Asda
John Lewis
M&M Direct
And now apparently North Korea 🇰🇵
I come across posts like these from time to time and I just don’t get them. The site is free to use and saving us loads of money. Who cares about trivial things like this?
@andywedge

Far be it from me to interfere, and I hate being the one to "piddle in the punch bowl" but it begins to show that this PEP is one big headache for you guys. It was a "trial" yes? Why not nip it in the bud and (yes, I'm going to say it) quit it while you're behind? Pull the plug. Cut the cord. Throw in the towel. It seems to have ruffled many feathers here and there and (the bit I never really understood) only benefits a select handful of people. Without it, you'll still get great deals posted - only deals with no other agenda other than alerting other members to potential savings.

I've never checked myself but do the other Pepper sites/groups have a similar programme and; more importantly; do they have the same internal issues?

Apologies to those PEP members my observation/critique might upset. I don't mean to sour the milk but it does seem as if this 'monster' caused more problems than it solved - if there ever were a problem to BE solved...

Yours respectfully, Phsy.

I really can’t believe that at exactly the same time this morning a number of different Pepper Experts happened to be browsing the Screwfix website and suddenly found a load of deals all independently of each other and decided to post them. It looked very much as if some kind of Screwfix deals list had been released to certain people.
If a merchant drops prices then it doesn't take long for members to see this and post up the best ones. We see it all the time. There's nothing unusual about the best ones being posted up. What would be unusual is if they weren't posted up; be that Screwfix or Amazon or M&S or any merchant that drops prices in bulk.
deleted179453527/01/2020 18:09

I just find a 1700% increase in deals strange.As many of the deals are …I just find a 1700% increase in deals strange.As many of the deals are from PEP or paid staff editors I found it unusual.

i don't find that strange at all. they are paid to find deals and they have all cotton on to the screwfix clearance.

screwfix is pretty good value anyway, even when there is no clearance, so they are now my first go to for DIY products instead of B&Q or Homebase.
It’s got to be better than the Amazon Warehouse deals... The day the 20% off promo started, we got a bunch of deals that had 1 or less in stock I think one member posted a deal, and they bought the only one in stock before posting it lol
deleted179453527/01/2020 18:00

There must be some reason for a 1700% increase in deals from one merchant.

The site is paid when you purchase a deal. More posts more people buying. I don't know why pepper keep saying they don't.
They do.
deleted1794535
spyro12327/01/2020 18:45

The site is paid when you purchase a deal. More posts more people buying. …The site is paid when you purchase a deal. More posts more people buying. I don't know why pepper keep saying they don't.They do.

Exactly!

And like Quidco and TCB I imagine that their referral fee goes up and down periodically - perhaps today saw an increase!
Edited by: "deleted1794535" 27th Jan

The site is paid when you purchase a deal. More posts more people buying. …The site is paid when you purchase a deal. More posts more people buying. I don't know why pepper keep saying they don't.They do.

I don't think they ARE saying that though, spyro123. What they ARE saying is that merchants aren't paying them to POST deals. I don't think they would deny what you are saying as; as far as I understand; you are correct. They are paid a referral fee for traffic SENT to the merchant - who then make a purchase.

They are two different things.

I am essentially agreeing with you so I'm not having a dig, by the way!
@andywedge

I'd still be interested in your thoughts with reference to my post above AW. Even if it was just to say your hands are tied on the subject? Has it ever been discussed as to the removal of PEP or is it a forgone conclusion to remain?
Phsycronix27/01/2020 19:00

@andywedge I'd still be interested in your thoughts with reference to my …@andywedge I'd still be interested in your thoughts with reference to my post above AW. Even if it was just to say your hands are tied on the subject? Has it ever been discussed as to the removal of PEP or is it a forgone conclusion to remain?

It's not something Moderators / Community Support get involved in. But I can say that other Pepper sites have a similar program.
deleted179453527/01/2020 18:08

Same company, exactly the same tap. What's it really worth?

Similar taps around £70-140. I paid £40 so im happy. Like everything on here, a tv reduced from £700 to £500, whats it really worth. A laptop reduced from £499 to £399, whats it really worth. A tin of beans reduced from 75p to 49p. Whats it really worth.
Answer, its worth whatever you are happy to pay. And if this site saves me money, who cares how,who,when etc it gets on here.
spyro12327/01/2020 18:59

Comment deleted

Well, I can't really answer (or comment) on that but it remains that they ARE two different things.

Being paid by a merchant to POST deals is different to being paid a referral by a merchant for goods sold by traffic sent to them (from posts by other people - whoever that maybe.) Of course, that's a whole 'other' can of worms that we are also seeing in posts recently...
andywedge27/01/2020 19:02

It's not something Moderators / Community Support get involved in. But I …It's not something Moderators / Community Support get involved in. But I can say that other Pepper sites have a similar program.

Fair enough. Understood.

I suppose the next logical question would be - are those that are the decision makers in full knowledge that PEP is causing certain 'waves' within their platform? Or perhaps that doesn't matter in the grand scheme...
deleted1175484

Simple solution, just do like me, see a deal go direct to merchant without clicking “get deal”
boom sticking it to the man

I don't know why members say that "we say hotukdeals doesn't earn money if you click through or buy", when we've been saying since day one, almost daily, until we are blue in the face, and banged our heads against the wall until it's caved in (the wall, not our heads) that that is exactly how hotukdeals earns money. It's even written at the bottom of every single deal posted on hotukdeals.
"If you click through or buy, retailers may pay hotukdeals some money, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page."
I do suspect there's also some confusion about how the PEP program works. It's worth reading this hotukdeals.com/PEP as there's a lot of rumour, and innacurate posts about PEP's - so I always find it's best to stick to the facts.
Edited by: "andywedge" 27th Jan
andywedge27/01/2020 19:12

I don't know why members say that "we say hotukdeals doesn't earn money if …I don't know why members say that "we say hotukdeals doesn't earn money if you click through or buy", when we've been saying since day one, almost daily, until we are blue in the face, and banged our heads against the wall until it's caved in (the wall, not our heads) that that is exactly how hotukdeals earns money. It's even written at the bottom of every single deal posted on hotukdeals."If you click through or buy, retailers may pay hotukdeals some money, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page."I do suspect there's also some confusion about how the PEP program works. It's worth reading this https://www.hotukdeals.com/PEP as there's a lot of rumour, and innacurate posts about PEP's - so I always find it's best to stick to the facts.

(that first sentence)
andywedge27/01/2020 19:12

I don't know why members say that "we say hotukdeals doesn't earn money if …I don't know why members say that "we say hotukdeals doesn't earn money if you click through or buy", when we've been saying since day one, almost daily, until we are blue in the face, and banged our heads against the wall until it's caved in (the wall, not our heads) that that is exactly how hotukdeals earns money. It's even written at the bottom of every single deal posted on hotukdeals."If you click through or buy, retailers may pay hotukdeals some money, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page."I do suspect there's also some confusion about how the PEP program works. It's worth reading this https://www.hotukdeals.com/PEP as there's a lot of rumour, and innacurate posts about PEP's - so I always find it's best to stick to the facts.

I tend to ignore them and let them think what they want. No matter what you say, I'm sure they will continue to moan
thewrecker747727/01/2020 19:19

I tend to ignore them and let them think what they want. No matter what …I tend to ignore them and let them think what they want. No matter what you say, I'm sure they will continue to moan

Oh dear, that’s done it...
Phsycronix27/01/2020 19:06

Fair enough. Understood.I suppose the next logical question would be - are …Fair enough. Understood.I suppose the next logical question would be - are those that are the decision makers in full knowledge that PEP is causing certain 'waves' within their platform? Or perhaps that doesn't matter in the grand scheme...

Admin have commented in the various 'Pep' threads or the the threads that took a wrong turn and head down Pepsville Avenue; so yes, I'd say they are aware.
Personally, I don't see them as being an issue. They do their best to find and post the best deals, and always have done (hence why they were selected as Pep's). They don't earn any money from click-throughs, they earn revenue based on their channel (deal posts) engagement. They don't get asked to post Deals or post offers from any specific retailer etc. However, they often post some of the best deals on the site; usually because they are 'expert' in their own field, be that Gaming (and god knows how much I have saved over the last few months thank to Pep posts in Gaming, so I am grateful for them in the same way I'm grateful for anyone who posts something which saves me a few quid, or even more), Fashion, Phones etc. But again, I reiterate, it's the quality of their Deals posts which is why they were selected.
spyro12327/01/2020 19:16

Comment deleted

In short....
If you click through or buy, retailers may pay hotukdeals some money (and we've always said that).
spyro12327/01/2020 19:27

Comment deleted

I was replying to your comment that said "Just wish they wouldn't lie and keep saying they aren't paid." We've never lied and have always said that if you click through or buy, retailers may pay hotukdeals some money.
andywedge27/01/2020 19:25

threads that took a wrong turn and head down Pepsville Avenue

Love it AW.

In all seriousness, I; personally; don't give a fig. Stay or go, it doesn't matter to me. I too wonder why it bothers some more than others but I can't know everyone's feelings any more than you guys. I do know however than when something is a "thorn" in my side - I pluck it out...
Phsycronix27/01/2020 19:33

I do know however than when something is a "thorn" in my side - I pluck it …I do know however than when something is a "thorn" in my side - I pluck it out...

Don't think any of the staff think that the Pep's are an issue, quite the opposite; they often post great content. The issue is more the minority who think there's some kind of conspiracy going on behind the scenes, but that's just not the case at all, as has been explained time and time again.
ander27/01/2020 19:38

Don't think any of the staff think that the Pep's are an issue, quite the …Don't think any of the staff think that the Pep's are an issue, quite the opposite; they often post great content. The issue is more the minority who think there's some kind of conspiracy going on behind the scenes, but that's just not the case at all, as has been explained time and time again.

Totally agree - but of course they need to also consider the bigger picture, and the wider audience. Remember, PEP is a small, select group in a very large 'pond' of members. Drop a Pike into a Goldfish pond = trouble!
Haircut_10027/01/2020 18:18

I really can’t believe that at exactly the same time this morning a number …I really can’t believe that at exactly the same time this morning a number of different Pepper Experts happened to be browsing the Screwfix website and suddenly found a load of deals all independently of each other and decided to post them. It looked very much as if some kind of Screwfix deals list had been released to certain people.

Isn’t a more likely scenario that a email newsletter went out to customer to alert them to the sale. Many members will have viewed this and popped over to have a look, spotted great deals and posted them
The odd thing about this was that it started by an editor earlier today, suddenly most of the PEP joined in and the site was wash, the editor and two PEP posted 11 deals between them in an hour. Now it’s all well and good deals getting posted but the oddity if this one is if anyone else had spammed this much one company deals in such a short space of time everyone would have gone cold.

guessing it was a partner deals that started it off, we know PEP don’t know about partner deals but they must have grabbed the big gun editors coat tales and had a look themselves. Then the site followed.

good to see a couple of PEPs not jump in the bandwagon, those are the experts I know we can trust, not saying we can’t trust the others but they aren’t here just for the numbers which it looks like some are.

I have nothing against PEP at all before anyone thinks I have but like editor and staff deals I normally just scroll by most of them
Haircut_10027/01/2020 18:18

I really can’t believe that at exactly the same time this morning a number …I really can’t believe that at exactly the same time this morning a number of different Pepper Experts happened to be browsing the Screwfix website and suddenly found a load of deals all independently of each other and decided to post them. It looked very much as if some kind of Screwfix deals list had been released to certain people.

The big editor got the first couple in and then everyone followed, would say it’s a partner but we will never know for certain. They could post a penny off a chocolate orange at it would be a thousand degrees.
Edited by: "eslick" 27th Jan
Why have people got a bee in their bonnet about X amount of deals being posted from a certain merchant? Should it really bother you the amount of things getting posted? No. Should you find something better to do with your life if it really bothers you that much? YES It's a deals site and I'm sure if it was a problem or if the site was being spammed that much then things would start being deleted.
Edited by: "thewrecker7477" 27th Jan
Is it just me or are all the Experts becoming very defensive about this? And why has the OP’s account suddenly become deleted?
Haircut_10027/01/2020 20:18

Is it just me or are all the Experts becoming very defensive about this? …Is it just me or are all the Experts becoming very defensive about this? And why has the OP’s account suddenly become deleted?

I would not say so, no. The PEP members have had to deal with quite a barrage of negativity for something we created, not them.

I think having open discussion as adults is good for our community. As long as we remember to respect each other we should be able to have these kind of discussions.

(Not sure about the OP but they deleted their account themselves in case someone thinks it was us!!)
Edited by: "Jason" 27th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants