What's going with car insurance premium?

Posted 28th Feb
My last year annual car insurance premium was £480 and this year I getting £710. I have 10 years NCD. I am wondering what's going on with the prices? over £200+ increase in just one year. I tried quidco and confused both giving me same prices and admiral is way too expensive. Any tips how to save money on car insurance renewal?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Who knows. Car insurance is a con, they can charge whatever they like. It's a licence to print money for companies mandated by the government.

If the government want to make car insurance mandatory they should either regulate it to keep prices low or offer it themselves not for profit,l.
40 Comments
Try Quotemehappy they cut out the middleman and paperwork.
Who knows. Car insurance is a con, they can charge whatever they like. It's a licence to print money for companies mandated by the government.

If the government want to make car insurance mandatory they should either regulate it to keep prices low or offer it themselves not for profit,l.
Too many morons on the road. Just last night I saw an accident here some idiot had gone the wrong way down a one way street.
That is car insurance scam - always check and switch companies. In 18 years I only stayed with the same company once - Aviva managed to be most competitive on two consecutive years. This years example: Churchill renewal £420, called to cancel, they could drop to £400; did some quotes, LV came at £302 net (£347 - £45 TBC). Happy days
nightshadeUK28/02/2020 02:19

Never heard of them before so had a look as our insurance is up in a few weeks time, their quote for my Mondeo was higher than the current multi quote which we have for 2 cars and a house

Admiral has always been cheapest for me in last 10 years, admittedly that's not their renewal quote and I have to go through the same rubbish every year of getting another quote and then them beating it which is frustrating but has to be done.
Direct line was better than comparison sites for me
Aviva have always gave me the best quote’s and even on renewel I’ve not found a company who managed to beat their price and this year they managed to save me another £252 from previous year😁
Get a bicycle! No tax.. No insurance.. No MOT.. and u can whizz through traffic!
nightshadeUK28/02/2020 02:19

Quote me happy are just a branch of Aviva.
Cheapest prices are always obtained if u get a quote 21 days before renewal date. The closer u get to renewal the higher the price. Also the best days for quotes are Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. Weekends prices are always dearer
bluenotetim128/02/2020 07:40

Quote me happy are just a branch of Aviva.

Yep but they were a LOT cheaper for us
Edited by: "nightshadeUK" 28th Feb
nightshadeUK28/02/2020 07:52

Yep but they were a LOT cheaper for us

Yep, if it's good value I suppose it doesn't matter who owns them.
just used Go Compare through Top Cashback,£30,after incurring the same problem as you ie: a £140 price rise over last years price.
Go Compare currently offering £250 free access cover. Martin Lewis advises buying insurance around the 26 day mark, before the due date,to get the best deal. Happy searching....
senukas28/02/2020 06:41

That is car insurance scam - always check and switch companies. In 18 …That is car insurance scam - always check and switch companies. In 18 years I only stayed with the same company once - Aviva managed to be most competitive on two consecutive years. This years example: Churchill renewal £420, called to cancel, they could drop to £400; did some quotes, LV came at £302 net (£347 - £45 TBC). Happy days

Same, in 26 years of driving only ever stayed with same insurance company for consecutive years once, that was actually fairly recently too with LV
Interesting what you say about LV. On my 2nd renewal with them, cheaper than anything from the usual screenscape for a new policy. Looks like they are cherry picking a very narrow profile of customers.
Car policies are bizarre, I do 25k miles per year, no accidents or points, not a young un and essentially drive a 12 year old tractor in the middle of nowhere yet most insurance will punt it up by an extortionate amount upon renewal (mrs been with direct line for years and had 2 non faults with little difference yet I had a 20% rise (before then leaving). Would recommend the comparison sites mentioned and phoning up a couple that aren't on it like direct line
We switched from Direct Line to LV after doing comparison a year ago, this year LV was a little more expensive that what I found on a comparision. but after calling up I managed to get about £50 knocked off the price making it cheaper than what LV were offering via Compare the Market.
Hae a look at bymiles,Great level of cover Hire car protected bonus etc.
You plug in a mileage tracker and away you go.
There are two parts to the cover, Fully comp parked at your house, Then a per mile charge.
For my 5008 1.6 iesel with 9 years no claims it was £170.00 Plus 3.2p a mile.
The miles are Billed like a mobile contract at the end of the month.
If you get a referral for the quote you get £50 of free miles.
They worked out 60% cheaper than anyone else.
we were with aviva for 3 years prices always going up. we,re 3rd party .went compare the market now with lv fully comp for less than aviva
Iv noticed Quidco and TopCashback charge ££s more than money supermarket.com etc
Even with electric bills so I avoid them now
Where we live car insurance is a very very expensive!!!!

i put a postcode 2 streets away and went up by £400!!!
we renewed our car cover this year and it hasn't gone up that much. it normally stays about the same but this year it has gone up a little bit so your case may be specific to your circumstance.
I have had the best deal with General Accident for the last 2 years. Also take note of the best time to get a quote as given by Pilsbury 12 above, it really is true.
esar28/02/2020 07:02

Direct line was better than comparison sites for me

Same for me, have been with them a while now
Our Aviva multicar went up £100 for no reason. Direct Line and LV multi car were both far cheaper, but Aviva wouldn't reduce their renewal at all when I rang them. In the end, I found separate policies for each car was the cheapest option this year.
I don't think you need to swap providers, we just contact our current provider when the increased bill comes in.
Speak to them and say your not happy with the increase and ask them for a better deal.
They always drop the price down to the current cost. They've even asked how much we'd like to pay

If the above doesn't work, then look around for better deals. Once you've found one, go back to your current provider and say company X is offering the better deal, can you match or beat it?
Go on compare the market, then phone the cheapest one up and get a quote, without telling them you have been online, then drop the "I've been online and they say it's 'only £xxx', what can you do?
Now they've got you online they won't want to lose a sale - there's quite fierce competition between office sales and internet sales, so you will probably find they will drop below the internet price. Works for me reach year.
LV seems to be the cheapest around. Did a uswitch comparision. Going to try it directly from the LV website shortly to see if there is any difference.
bigwheels28/02/2020 09:55

Hae a look at bymiles,Great level of cover Hire car protected bonus …Hae a look at bymiles,Great level of cover Hire car protected bonus etc.You plug in a mileage tracker and away you go.There are two parts to the cover, Fully comp parked at your house, Then a per mile charge.For my 5008 1.6 iesel with 9 years no claims it was £170.00 Plus 3.2p a mile.The miles are Billed like a mobile contract at the end of the month.If you get a referral for the quote you get £50 of free miles.They worked out 60% cheaper than anyone else.

9 years NBC, 10k miles works out at £554 pa. Would be very expensive for me, but without a like for like comparison it's hard to say.
Ringfinger28/02/2020 14:32

9 years NBC, 10k miles works out at £554 pa. Would be very expensive for …9 years NBC, 10k miles works out at £554 pa. Would be very expensive for me, but without a like for like comparison it's hard to say.

Shame, I got quotes for 3 postcodes as was moving, all 3 were the same quote.
One was an SE post code.
There's no rhyme or reason
m1keyp1key28/02/2020 14:18

LV seems to be the cheapest around. Did a uswitch comparision. Going to …LV seems to be the cheapest around. Did a uswitch comparision. Going to try it directly from the LV website shortly to see if there is any difference.

LV quoted me the same directly or via Gocompare, TCBCompare or Confused so went with the highest cashback deal which was with TCB (not via their comparison).
Corner_taken_quickly28/02/2020 07:32

Get a bicycle! No tax.. No insurance.. No MOT.. and u can whizz through …Get a bicycle! No tax.. No insurance.. No MOT.. and u can whizz through traffic!

Great. Just thinking how would I look like on motorway!
So directline quoted me £600. Now I am trying other sites as you guys suggested. Thanks so much.
So I finally got £470 deal from comparethemarket. Thank you for suggesting me the site.
moazam28/02/2020 18:26

So I finally got £470 deal from comparethemarket. Thank you for suggesting …So I finally got £470 deal from comparethemarket. Thank you for suggesting me the site.

Now call up your existing insurer, provide them with details of that quote and get them to do better than it. I did the same with Admiral and saved £200
I've just got off the phone to Admiral, they matched last year's price for me which in happy with, £770 for 2 cars and house insurance.

Might go to other companies now and see if they'll bet that, been with Admiral years though and never found a company that comes close.

Was also shocked at how much new customer prices were for each car, as per Ops initial post the prices were ridiculous compared to other years.

Either claims last year have increased 10 fold or companies have had a chat to one another to just quote what they want
Do Aviva drive app
Get a discount once completed
moazam28/02/2020 17:08

Great. Just thinking how would I look like on motorway!

That would depend on how fast u can pedal...
Edited by: "Corner_taken_quickly" 28th Feb
Corner_taken_quickly28/02/2020 07:32

Get a bicycle! No tax.. No insurance.. No MOT.. and u can whizz through …Get a bicycle! No tax.. No insurance.. No MOT.. and u can whizz through traffic!

and whizz thru red traffic lights and cause accidents that put car insurance up

far too many cyclists are so irresponsible but then moan "give us more room you nasty car drivers"
senukas28/02/2020 16:24

LV quoted me the same directly or via Gocompare, TCBCompare or Confused so …LV quoted me the same directly or via Gocompare, TCBCompare or Confused so went with the highest cashback deal which was with TCB (not via their comparison).

You do know that some of the comparisons sites actually are owned by your first best search result!
Saying that you keep the car in your front garden can be more expensive because when you are driving out of your driveway there is a chance you can hit somebody (i know i sounds like nonsense)
People get better prices by contacting insurance brokers and they will definitely give you the best price possible. I saved 25£ per month with direct line offer code after my best search results.I can lend you his number but not here hi won't be to happy about it. Hi was asking 100£ for it but now this is the second year in a row and my insurance stays the same.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants