What's happened to Shpock and Gumtree?

Posted 10th Jul
Literally just posted the same ad on both apps and I've had almost instant replies from people wanting me to email them. I can see on Shpock that 2 people that commented on there have no feedback on their profile and their accounts are new. Probably the same person. But to get a similar response from Gumtree too. Been using Shpock for awhile but this scam seems new. Anyone else encountered the same issue?
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Scamming is becoming automated; list an item = receive an instant response inviting you to open comms to subsequently push you down a certain road.
AndyRoyd10/07/2020 14:04

Scamming is becoming automated; list an item = receive an instant response …Scamming is becoming automated; list an item = receive an instant response inviting you to open comms to subsequently push you down a certain road.

Yep. These services need to get on top of it otherwise it's gonna be a turn-off. Just seems sudden for them to target these apps.
Personal detail harvesting.
Replaced by Facebook marketplace?
I always get spam on Gumtree, the instant ones now especially. I make a point in my listings now of stating that item is cash on collection and won't be posted, seems to stop some of the spam.
Seeing a lot on shpock now, where buyer asks to open a conversation up by email, outside of shpock, the request is terribly worded though as below just taken from shpock

"Hello I would like to know if the sale of this item still holds if yes please contact me at this email address xxxxxxxxxxxxx for the modality of the purchase"
Edited by: "sidhoooooo" 10th Jul
I get a dodgy phone call seconds after I post anything on gumtree
Fill me in. What is happening?
sidhoooooo10/07/2020 14:37

Seeing a lot on shpock now, where buyer asks to open a conversation up by …Seeing a lot on shpock now, where buyer asks to open a conversation up by email, outside of shpock, the request is terribly worded though as below just taken from shpock"Hello I would like to know if the sale of this item still holds if yes please contact me at this email address xxxxxxxxxxxxx for the modality of the purchase"

yeah I had one today, literally seconds after I listed the item

"veronicawells940@gmail.com please email my mum, she’s very interested paying for your AD for me. Email her now to know it’s still available and present condition with asking price, she will surely get back to you immediately you emailed her. Thanks"
sidhoooooo10/07/2020 14:37

Seeing a lot on shpock now, where buyer asks to open a conversation up by …Seeing a lot on shpock now, where buyer asks to open a conversation up by email, outside of shpock, the request is terribly worded though as below just taken from shpock"Hello I would like to know if the sale of this item still holds if yes please contact me at this email address xxxxxxxxxxxxx for the modality of the purchase"

You missed the random capitalisation
Big_Rik10/07/2020 14:39

I get a dodgy phone call seconds after I post anything on gumtree

Same here, hadn't used gumtree in ages and a few weeks ago I put an advert on selling my father in laws car.

Within seconds I had call after call, sometimes from the same company, about the "accident" I had last year.

Turned the phone contact option off and they stopped straight away.
Facebook marketplace since Shpock started charging for services. Double wammy. Pay sphock and pay paypal fees
Nothing outside the ordinary for me.

Business as usual and people buying with cash.
Stopped using gumtree and it’s full of scammers especially on mobiles.
Plus things don’t sell on there anymore because buyers are staying away
Gumtree are good if you report spam or hackers, shpock has always been dodgy or scanks wanting something for nothing
Shpock is full of pervs and scammers would stay away if I were you
Sold a hand bag for£6
MK watch for£15
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants