What's happening with 2TB NVME drives?

Posted 6th May
I've got a 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVME and wanted to replace it with a 2TB one and give the 1TB one to my Dad. However the 2TB Sabrent Rocket's are out of stock on Amazon and they only have a QLC version available, which I don't want.

Prices for other 2TB TLC NVME's seem high at the moment. This Pioneer one is £249
amazon.co.uk/Pio…GS/

and the 1TB is only £120 (the 1TB Sabrent Rocket is £130), so there's none of the usual cost efficiency in buying larger drives, they're basically charging double the cost of the 1TB.

Is there some issue at the moment that's causing a shortage of 2TB NVMEs and are prices likely to reduce soon? I want to give my 1TB NVME to my Dad for his birthday at the end of July, so I can wait for a bit but if prices aren't going to reduce maybe I should just buy the Pioneer one now.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
Is there some issue at the moment that's causing a shortage?

Can't think of anything that would causes shortages in the current situation we're facing
"Is there some issue at the moment"

- yes...
Nothing to do with supply but I found this thread which worried me as it suggested that the Pioneer drives has issues with write speed but it seems it might not have been the drive after all, as he had similar problems with other drives until he formatted them twice. arstechnica.com/civ…101

The random 4k QD32 read/write speeds shown in the reviews for the Pioneer APS-SE20G-2T of around 300/280 are a lot slower than my Sabrent however, which gets 833/647 read/write.

I could get a HP EX950 2TB from Newegg for £244 inc. VAT. Comparing the two drives, the EX950 wins on sequential read/write speeds but the Pioneer has "hugely faster mixed IO speed". I don't know if that will matter though. I'll be using it as a gaming drive, so it will be mostly reading once everything's installed but Microsoft's new flight sim streams the scenery from the cloud, so I guess that will be constantly writing to the drive when I'm flying that.
ssd.userbenchmark.com/Com…157
nemesiz06/05/2020 15:25

Is there some issue at the moment that's causing a shortage?Can't think of …Is there some issue at the moment that's causing a shortage?Can't think of anything that would causes shortages in the current situation we're facing

Well obviously but why would that specifically affect 2TB drives, whilst 1TB drives are available and don't seem to have increased in price significantly?
And specifically...

ft.com/con…4d3

"China’s industrial output contracted at the fastest pace on record in the first two months of this year"

"Industrial output tumbled 13.5 per cent in the first two months of this year, the National Bureau of Statistics said on Monday. This would represent the largest contraction on record, according to Reuters data."
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions