Whats the adjective for doing something not required but makes things easier?

Posted 12th Jan 2023
I emailed an office asking if I could have a short meeting the next day, and they responded outside office hours to tell me they had no availabilty this week.

It seems they emailed me late so that I could plan my day in the knowledge that I was not meeting with them. They could have easily emailed me next morning but they chose to be extremely helpful.

I want to show appreciation for them respondng in their personal time but I'm not sure what the best word is. Helpful does not address the specific instance enough. Someone doing their job to the normal standard is helpful (IMO).

I want to say:

"I truly appreciate your ******* by replying in your personal time"

I want them to know that I didn't expect it and would never expect someone to go above their agreed requirements, and I want to show my thanks.

Can anyone help me please?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    As much as I would like to take credit but open AI come up with this...

Thank you for your prompt response

Dear [Name],

I wanted to take a moment to express my gratitude for your prompt response to my email outside of normal working hours. Your willingness to assist me, even outside of your regular schedule, is greatly appreciated.

Your dedication to providing excellent customer service is evident in your actions and it is a pleasure to work with someone who is so responsive and efficient.

Thank you again for your help.

Best regards,[Your Name]

Or

Dear [Name],

I hope this email finds you well. I wanted to extend my sincerest thanks for your prompt response to my email outside of normal working hours. Your willingness to assist me, even outside of your regular schedule, is greatly appreciated. Your dedication to providing excellent customer service is evident in your actions and it is a pleasure to work with someone who is so responsive and efficient.

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,[Your Name] (edited)
  2. Avatar
    Consideration?
  3. Avatar
    Conscientiousness ?.

Personally I think you're being excessively nice, but then again I'm a sole trader (in an office hours type profession)and whilst I expect clients and other people I work alongside to have some regard to working hours/leave etc., I also don't bat an eyelid when I get emails or calls outside of office hours, more often than not I'll respond immediately, the 'secret' is to only respond once and then if the person immediately replies again asking more questions I'll then ignore them until office hours resume.
  4. Avatar
    Author
    I went with conscientious in the end.

I'm surprised we don't have a designated word for it. Germans and japanese have words for the most specific things, you wouldn't believe: ef.com/wwe…on/

ef.com/wwe…on/

We are in a society where employees feel like they have to work outside of their contracted hours. I know for a fact this employee is not contracted to work at 9pm. They do this either due to pressure from employers, or customers, or maybe because they don't want any reason to get fired because they need this job to survive. Imo, someone doing something that they don't have to, with the intention of helping someone, should be actively recognised and commended.

Thanks everyone.
    I'm all for showing gratitude to another person when they've gone out of their way to be helpful or communicative, personally I don't bat an eyelid at sending or receiving emails outside of normal office hours, but certainly nor would I demand or expect a response out of those hours either. Indeed in 25 years of working (admittedly in the same industry) in both the public sector and the private sector (in the latter for medium sized consultancies, huge multi-national companies and also as a sole trader), I've never experienced an employer or a customer, or felt any expectation being placed on my shoulders, to respond to an email or take a call outside of normal office hours. Certainly I've never felt at any risk of being fired, not promoted etc. for not doing so.

Conversely, increasingly I am finding that despite all the 'doom and gloom' talk about the economy, people being afraid of losing their jobs etc., there's a sense of apathy amongst many other individuals I come across in my line of work, with people taking excessive time to reply to emails, provide documentation etc, all without any explanation. It doesn't directly affect me, as I'm usually the 'middleman' so the client who is paying both myself and those other individuals sees that I'm doing what I can but also sees that another individual/company isn't pulling their weight.

For example I work on behalf of some very large multinational companies and on Tuesday of this week I both spoke to and then emailed another individual (who is a Director or a medium sized company) whom that company is seeking to urgently do some work on their behalf. Today, 72 hours later and without any acknowledgement or response to my previous email, I covered my own backside by emailing that individual again (copying in the client) seeking confirmation that they'd received my email and again stressing the urgency of the matter. No response.

It's that kind of behaviour I don't get, you're approached by a big multinational company offering you/your company the chance to get involved in a project which could lead to lots more work, you don't say that you're too busy or that you're sorry for the delay and will respond on Monday (which would take a minute of your time), you don't have an out-of-office email on, you simply don't respond to either the initial email and the chasing email 3 days later. And then you wonder why the client has gone elsewhere and neither the client nor myself would ever come to you again.
  5. Avatar
    i always use the word "thank you for your help, which is much appreciated". i like the word "help" as effectively they have helped you by being mega efficient or considerate, and doing something that they are not paid to do, but have done it out of the kindness of their heart.

i find this word works very well and people feel appreciated when they think they have helped you, and are being thanked for it.
  6. Avatar
    What's the context to the situation?

I open all external emails when they come through usually and reply so I don't need to mark as unread or remember to reply. Usually more out of curiosity or if it's something I can resolve overnight.

I would definately respond same day if someone has requested a next day meeting as they might turn up for nothing. (They would be turning up for nothing I don't do next day) (edited)
  7. Avatar
    I only hope it wasn't a bot responding to you; or a normal human being composing the response you received but delaying the sending in order to display conscientious and simply to appear to be good to illicit the response you intend.
  8. Avatar
    i find that a lot of people work from home now and they do flex hours so they aren't always doing the work during office hours and make up the time out of office hours. my solicitor is an example.
  9. Avatar
    ChatGPT for a laugh

"Subject: Thank you for accommodating the Meeting

Dear [Name],

I wanted to take a moment to express my gratitude for accommodating the meeting to a later time at my request. Your flexibility and willingness to accommodate my schedule is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for your understanding and for making the necessary arrangements. I look forward to our meeting at [new time and date].

Best regards,
    [Your Name]
  10. Avatar
    Diligent? or Assiduous?
    Courteous? or Considerate (as RadiantDuck said) (edited)
  11. Avatar
    'Nice one mate' would be short and sweet.
  12. Avatar
    Thank you for taking your time to answer my query outside of office hours, it is very much appreciated.
Top Merchants