Whats the arcade game I'm thinking of?

When I was younger, they used to have an arcade game in the leisure centre that I played after going swimming. I can't remember the name of it, but it had 2 parts to it. One part was travelling between different planets, and it was a bit of a shoot em up and dodging asteroids, and when you reached the planet, you went down onto it and it was a scrolling shoot em up, with a man in an alein spacesuit type thing. Each planet had a different theme, one was a jungle, and I think one was a desert.

Can anyone help me and put me out of my misery and help me find out what it was called?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

35 Comments

Im trying to think what is was called cracking game if Im thinking the same one

Original Poster

Adam2050;5952135

Im trying to think what is was called cracking game if Im thinking the … Im trying to think what is was called cracking game if Im thinking the same one

Yeah it was a good game, never seen it anywhere else since though - would love to see if I can get a rom of it for MAME

Original Poster

anyone else got an idea? Its bugging the hell out of me lol

What year are we talking here ?

maxmix

There was this arcade game I used to see which was a scrolling shoot 'em up, sometimes on foot and sometimes on a ship, dunno if it's the same one but don't know the name.

Original Poster

maxmix;5953321

What year are we talking here ?maxmix

hhmmmmmm

about 1987-1990 approx

Original Poster

Abvance;5953331

There was this arcade game I used to see which was a scrolling shoot 'em … There was this arcade game I used to see which was a scrolling shoot 'em up, sometimes on foot and sometimes on a ship, dunno if it's the same one but don't know the name.

its probably the same one, but can't think what it is

Original Poster

choc1969;5953326

Okay free herehttp://games.atari.com/arcade.php?game=gravitar

not the game, but a nice little shooter :thumbsup:

Did it have different power ups like fast rapidfire any direction but weak that looked like pointy arrows, powerful laser beam which was slow, another one which shoots fixed three directions etc?

Original Poster

Abvance;5953503

Did it have different power ups like fast rapidfire any direction but … Did it have different power ups like fast rapidfire any direction but weak that looked like pointy arrows, powerful laser beam which was slow, another one which shoots fixed three directions etc?

thats the one!

Its not metal slug is it?

youtube.com/wat…h9s

Just re read the thread

Ignore me. cant help mate

Gyruss

Original Poster

dontasciime;5953791

Gyruss

not that one, sorry

Swiv?

Original Poster

nope this was an actual arcade game

I was thinking Contra/Probotector, but not sure if it is now

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/834/834843/contra-4-20071113051300556.jpg

Original Poster

midlandscomics;5953973

I was thinking Contra/Probotector, but not sure if it is now

not this one either...................its mega annoying, and I've never seen it on a comp or console, or even in another arcade.

Anymore details? Any inkling whatsoever with what it began with, or what company was behind the game? Also, may be able to find it if you can describe the graphics and how it was controlled (stick, trackball etc). also if it was a custom cabinet (made for that game) or a generic one (the ones that played loads of different SNK games)

Have no idea what it is, but want to play it myself so hunting it now
I'm not a nerd :oops:

bassman_uk;5953579

thats the one!

I always wanted to remember the game too, it's actually an over-head shooter a bit like raiden, with a longer portrait screen There's this other arcade game I want to know the name of which was a scrolling beat 'em up like streets of rage and the four guys had different colour shirts (red, blue, yellow, green) the black guy in red had better punches and the white guy in yellow had better kicks, anyone know this game?

Found it! It's Soldier Of Light I think :thumbsup:

May have also been called Solar Warrior - both games look the same to me.

bishibashi;5954105

Found it! It's Soldier Of Light I think :thumbsup:

Got a link to a video clip?

Original Poster

bishibashi;5954105

Found it! It's Soldier Of Light I think :thumbsup:May have also been … Found it! It's Soldier Of Light I think :thumbsup:May have also been called Solar Warrior - both games look the same to me.

its similar, but not that

Original Poster

solar warrior..........that looks like it!!!!

Abvance;5954129

Got a link to a video clip?

Nope - can't find a video on it anywhere! Quite an uncommon game. Google has turned up a handful of screenshots and a MAME ROM though.

Some screenshots ]here and ]here. A single interesting screenshot on this page ]here.

Anymore details on your beat em up? You can probably find it on ]here, good site for finding arcade games.

Original Poster

bishibashi;5954199

Nope - can't find a video on it anywhere! Quite an uncommon game. Google … Nope - can't find a video on it anywhere! Quite an uncommon game. Google has turned up a handful of screenshots and a MAME ROM though.Some screenshots ]here and ]here. A single interesting screenshot on this page ]here.Anymore details on your beat em up? You can probably find it on ]here, good site for finding arcade games.

told you I'd not seen it elsewhere

bassman_uk;5954223

told you I'd not seen it elsewhere

Its ALSO know as Xain'D SleenA. But I cannot pronounce that. Same game, three names. Just to further evade notice :?
Searching for "Xain'd Sleena" on Google yields loooads more than the other two names.

And here be a page of videos from the game: ]Click 'ere.

Abvance;5954098

I always wanted to remember the game too, it's actually an over-head … I always wanted to remember the game too, it's actually an over-head shooter a bit like raiden, with a longer portrait screen There's this other arcade game I want to know the name of which was a scrolling beat 'em up like streets of rage and the four guys had different colour shirts (red, blue, yellow, green) the black guy in red had better punches and the white guy in yellow had better kicks, anyone know this game?

hmmm i know my side scrollers pretty well at first i thought Gaia crusaders but then it could be "The peacekeepers" aka Brawl brothers on snes? but the game your reffering to imo is actually a VS fighter called "Violence fight" as your desciption fits the bill :thumbsup:

Abvance;5954098

I always wanted to remember the game too, it's actually an over-head … I always wanted to remember the game too, it's actually an over-head shooter a bit like raiden, with a longer portrait screen There's this other arcade game I want to know the name of which was a scrolling beat 'em up like streets of rage and the four guys had different colour shirts (red, blue, yellow, green) the black guy in red had better punches and the white guy in yellow had better kicks, anyone know this game?

That game was called Vendetta from 1991: ]linky.

bishibashi;5954334

That game was called Vendetta from 1991: ]linky.

That game is awesome

yep most likely Vendetta if its Side scroller

Starr;5954362

That game is awesome

if you think that game is awesome you should try some of capcoms/igs/snk's brawlers they are awesome
get mameui32fx or get winkawaks (better imo) and play everything you can!

heres one of my all time favs
Dungeons and dragons: shadow over mystara
youtube.com/wat…ted

I have separate PC that I have custom built purely for emulation, it sits aside my LCD TV for a bit of late night arcade action

Mo786;5954430

if you think that game is awesome you should try some of … if you think that game is awesome you should try some of capcoms/igs/snk's brawlers they are awesomeget mameui32fx or get winkawaks (better imo) and play everything you can!heres one of my all time favsDungeons and dragons: shadow over mystarahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtS5mrpGHjU&feature=relatedI have separate PC that I have custom built purely for emulation, it sits aside my LCD TV for a bit of late night arcade action

That looks awesome. I wanted to make my own MAME cabinet, just need money :whistling:
Have you checked out any of the OpenBOR stuff? Some good scrolling fighters available, and they can be played on homebrew-enabled PSP. In fact, most stuff can - never thought a megadrive would be portable...

Yep I tried most of the bor games and they are ok but ive always felt they just felt unfinished, I did however REALLY enjoy Streets of rage remake they took the best from the series spiced up the music and gave it such a professional feel I can honestly say I was wholeheartedly impressed.

I always thought about building a cab but unfortunantly room is a major problem for me that and the fact it feels awesome to play arcade games on an 42 inch LCD TV rather than playing them on a 28inch screen that comes on some cabs, some arcade enthuisiasts would say they enjoy playing games full speed instead of emulation and using a joystick instead of a pad but im actually the opposite I prefer the joypad and playing the emulated version of the arcade game if its emulated near full speed that is! of course there are some games that arent emulated in which case ive had no choice but to buy the arcade hardware and play it via a supergun (costly but still worth it)

yep the psp is also great for emulation i got my cps2 games lined up on it and was playing AVP on it a couple of days ago.

Thanks for the name of the games guys, I always wanted to play it again, time to use MAME I think!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial55
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764334
    3. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay614
    4. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1326

See more discussions