What’s the best 49inch 4K tv up to £1k budget?

Found 16th Nov 2017
Not to start a 10 bit debate but I think a genuine question many contributors and readers have.

Need a decent operating system, but picture quality is the most important part for me, well it is a tv after all!
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
I bought an LG 49SJ800 recently. Fits in easily in your budget and there are some offers around. I paid £599 but I think I got lucky. I chose this as it has an in-built free sat tuner, can record to usb, has all the apps I want built into the tv (now-tv, google movies, plex, amazon and Netflix). Also supports a wide range of HDR formats. Apparently the nano cell technology helps with wide viewing angles too but thats less important for me where I use it. LG interface is very nice too.

Picture quality out of the box varies. I found dark scenes to be too dark in some cases so I've had to play around a bit but it looks great now.

As for other recommended ones, I think the Sony X900 series are meant to have a good picture quality. The price is a bit higher than the LG though. I also have another Sony 4k TV and although I love the picture and the android OS there are some downsides for me. 1.) no built in Now TV, if I want to watch this it has to be through my xbox. 2.) Some HDR is supported but not as much as my LG. 3.) Android TV is good but I find my tv sometimes needs restarting for some unknown reason. Also colours don't seem to pop as much as they do on the LG or other samsung sets I've seen. Maybe it's a more natural look on the Sony.

Just to note, both my LG49SJ800 and the Sony that I have are 10 bit panels. Currys do sell an LG 49SJ810 which apparently is a 8 bit panel and software.
Also, a number of people online will slate this years LG sets due to RGBW panels. That said, I think the picture quality on the set is great and wouldn't be able to tell any difference otherwise.

For me, after reading up on a lot of sets I simply went to Curry's to take a look and compare picture quality myself. At the end of the day, on Hotukdeals you'll see a number of large 4k hdr tv's for £450 or even less. There was only so much comparing I can do online... seeing the picture instore really helped seal the deal for me.

One final tip. If you live near a RicherSounds store contact them and see if they'll do a price match. That's how I got my set for the price I did. That way you'll get a 6 year guarantee too.
Edited by: "sparx1981" 16th Nov 2017
Thanks Sparx. Much appreciated, I have been looking at LG49SJ800 and saw it in Richer Sounds, it does seem to tick all the boxes. However, I am annoyed about the feet located on each end, which doesn’t fit on my existing very nice TV table/stand! Not sure if there is a work round, and I am keen to buy through JL as I get a little bit of discount.

I will take a look at the Sony but as you say the OS is a huge barrier for me. I won’t abide anything not intuitive!

I can’t believe this thing about the 800 being 10 bit and the 810 8 bit- I think the difference is the 810 has a central stand not end feet. I’m pretty sure they are both 8+2. But I’m not expert! And I doubt it makes any discernible difference to the average viewer.

I still love my Panasonic plasma which has stood the test of time brilliantly and most things look fantastic still so there is no rush. Thanks for the advice.
njdavis10347 m ago

Thanks Sparx. Much appreciated, I have been looking at LG49SJ800 and saw …Thanks Sparx. Much appreciated, I have been looking at LG49SJ800 and saw it in Richer Sounds, it does seem to tick all the boxes. However, I am annoyed about the feet located on each end, which doesn’t fit on my existing very nice TV table/stand! Not sure if there is a work round, and I am keen to buy through JL as I get a little bit of discount. I will take a look at the Sony but as you say the OS is a huge barrier for me. I won’t abide anything not intuitive!I can’t believe this thing about the 800 being 10 bit and the 810 8 bit- I think the difference is the 810 has a central stand not end feet. I’m pretty sure they are both 8+2. But I’m not expert! And I doubt it makes any discernible difference to the average viewer.I still love my Panasonic plasma which has stood the test of time brilliantly and most things look fantastic still so there is no rush. Thanks for the advice.

If it has holes for wall mounting, you can buy stands with a central pillar to stand them on a table, like normal tv stands. I'm not sure I'm explaining that very well, but hopefully you know what I mean. They cost about £30.

X900E seems to be reviewing best, because it has better local dimming than other sets. Samsung Q7 range is about equivalent to last year's best. But reviewing a little bit less favourably by comparison. Might be worth seeing what prices they are on Black Friday. I know they are over budget right now.
MSK.1 h, 0 m ago

If it has holes for wall mounting, you can buy stands with a central …If it has holes for wall mounting, you can buy stands with a central pillar to stand them on a table, like normal tv stands. I'm not sure I'm explaining that very well, but hopefully you know what I mean. They cost about £30.X900E seems to be reviewing best, because it has better local dimming than other sets. Samsung Q7 range is about equivalent to last year's best. But reviewing a little bit less favourably by comparison. Might be worth seeing what prices they are on Black Friday. I know they are over budget right now.

Digital Foundry released this video 5 days ago. Not sure if it might be helpful to anyone...

The Best 4K HDR TVs for Xbox One X/ PS4 Pro: Digital Foundry Buyers' Guide

Pink_Yoshi_Rebel_Army16th Nov 2017

Digital Foundry released this video 5 days ago. Not sure if it might be …Digital Foundry released this video 5 days ago. Not sure if it might be helpful to anyone...The Best 4K HDR TVs for Xbox One X/ PS4 Pro: Digital Foundry Buyers' Guide[Video]

Thanks for the reminder, I have a tab with that in open, but haven't got round to watching it yet
Pink_Yoshi_Rebel_Army16th Nov 2017

Digital Foundry released this video 5 days ago. Not sure if it might be …Digital Foundry released this video 5 days ago. Not sure if it might be helpful to anyone...The Best 4K HDR TVs for Xbox One X/ PS4 Pro: Digital Foundry Buyers' Guide[Video]

I'm not sure they're quite right about the dimming on the Sony, even if the point they're making stands. According to rtings, it is edge lit. But the zones are achieved by filtering the backlight in layers, rather than it being full array.

Apart from that, seems to back up what I've read.

It's a little frustrating they don't talk about cheaper options. The pros and cons of the mid to high end sets are quite well known. I guess they write them off as too rubbish, but the majority of people will be using them.

The MU8000 seems like a reasonable alternative, but it's priced far too high at the moment, compared to lasts years 'less than mid range' sets.
Thanks all so far, the central stand, is it Sanus? That could be a solution, if I do go for LG. I used a Samsung 55 inch model from last year in a holiday house recently and I was distinctly unimpressed with hd pic quality although 4K did look impressive and I suppose that is what it’s built for. LG just seems a solid all rounder and if it drops back to 550-600 in JL I will probably bite!
Why 49 and not 50?
50 would be fine too. alcove can just about stretch to 120cm width although table is 110cm
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants