Whats the best £500 Desktop PC with Win 7 ??

11 replies
Found 5th Jan 2010
Got £500 to spend on a new desktop PC. I don't need the monitor etc just the desktop base unit.
Ideally it'll be able to play the latest games, not bothered about playing them on the max settings as long as it'll play them so need to have a semi decent graphics card. Preferably with win 7 and a largish harddrive 500gb - 1tb.

So basically a decent all rounder.

Looked on Ebuyer and Aria and seen some that look ok for this price also the one at Aldi on Thursday for £349 but i'm abit behind the times with what to look for now what with i7, quad core, core 2 duo blar blar blar.

So any pointers to some good spec'd pc's at this price (don't want to mess about buying one and adding to it either ie buy the Aldi one and add a graphics card and extra ram) will be greatly appreciated............. and rep added :-)

Thanks in advance to all the up to date computer boffins out there ;-)

11 Comments

This is a pretty sweet deal, only thing is it's vista, but you can apply for the win 7 upgrade, but for those specs, I think it's a nice base unit!

ebuyer.com/pro…445

:thumbsup:

ebuyer.com/pro…496

This would be better if it had DDR3 ram imo, note it has 500w powersuplly and win7 64bit

edit - I don't know too much about zoostorm build quality or anything

Original Poster

Had a look at both these PC's (Thanks) are they worth the extra £150-ish more than the Adli one: aldi.co.uk/uk/…-10 :thinking:

Zoostorms are very loud

steevieboy4u;7434083

Had a look at both these PC's (Thanks) are they worth the extra £150-ish … Had a look at both these PC's (Thanks) are they worth the extra £150-ish more than the Adli one: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12578.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-01-05-13-10 :thinking:

I'd say my link is, purely for the blu ray disc drive & the dedicated Radeon HD 4350 graphics card, but if your on a budget, then the adli one isn't too bad, but not great for gaming to be honest!

For £469 delivered you can get a Dell Vostro 430 with a Core i5-750 and 4GB DDR3 – Dell.

You have to upgrade the base spec to a price of at least £479 ex VAT as then you can use the 10% voucher - BK2CWCGV$9XRS4
Upgrade the RAM to 4GB DDR3-1333 and add a Firewire card or something else for £5 or £10.
It only has a GT220 but you could sell that and install a decent card and still be under £500 especially if you use TopCashback as they have very good rates on Vostros.

Dell are giving 6% PLUS £18 cashback at TopCashBack for Vostros excluding VAT. The 6% = £24 so in total it = £42 which brings the price down to £427.
Sell the GT 220 and you’ll have over £100 for a GPU such as a HD 5750.

Personally I would pay more just to avoid Dells s*** customer service.

Original Poster

Agharta;7445195

You have to upgrade the base spec to a price of at least £479 ex VAT as … You have to upgrade the base spec to a price of at least £479 ex VAT as then you can use the 10% voucher - BK2CWCGV$9XRS4

Where did you get this code from i've just spec'd up a different PC and entered this code it recognises it but doesnt subtract the 10% discount from the final price it states click the 'View Details' of the coupon i do this and it just says expires 01 Feb 2010 ???? I dont understand why its not taking off the 10%, the price is still stating £628 for the new PC i've spec'd XPS 8000 :?

steevieboy4u;7445904

Where did you get this code from i've just spec'd up a different PC and … Where did you get this code from i've just spec'd up a different PC and entered this code it recognises it but doesnt subtract the 10% discount from the final price it states click the 'View Details' of the coupon i do this and it just says expires 01 Feb 2010 ???? I dont understand why its not taking off the 10%, the price is still stating £628 for the new PC i've spec'd XPS 8000 :?

Dell’s vouchers are usually for a particular range and this one is only for Vostro desktops.
I’ve posted this Dell as a deal HERE.

Original Poster

Agharta;7445948

Dell’s vouchers are usually for a particular range and this one is only f … Dell’s vouchers are usually for a particular range and this one is only for Vostro desktops.I’ve posted this Dell as a deal ]HERE.

Ok, wondered why i couldn't get it to work. It should tell you that when you input it into the Dell website.

Thanks anyway

Original Poster

By the way just thought i'd let you all know in the end i splashed out abit more and got this baby:

[FONT=arial][SIZE=2]Studio XPS™ 8000 (D00SX802)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=2][FONT=arial]Intel Core i7-860 (2.80GHz, 8MB, L3 Cache), Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=2]Item[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=2]Description[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Base[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Intel Core i7-860 (2.80GHz, 8MB, L3 Cache)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Memory[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]4096MB 1067 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [4x1024][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Keyboard[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Dell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Monitor[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Display Not Included[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Video Card[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Single 1GB Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 Graphics Card[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Hard Drive[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]500GB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Microsoft Operating System[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Mouse[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Dell 2 Button USB Optical Mouse[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Optical Devices[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]16X DVD+/- RW Optical Drive (DVD & CD read and write) (Win 7 Only)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Sound Cards[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Speakers[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]No Speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Shipping Documents[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]English - Documentation with UK/Ire Power cord[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Gedis Bundle Reference[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]D01SX802[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Standard Warranty[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]1 year of coverage included with your PC[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Enhanced Service Packs[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]1 year of coverage included with your PC[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Order Information[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Studio XPS 8000 DT Order - UK[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Dell System Media Kit[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Studio XPS 8000 Resource DVD[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Accidental Damage Support[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]No Accidental Damage Support[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Online Backup[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]DataSafe Online Backup 2GB 1 year[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Call Dell Experts[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]One free Dell Expert call to help with your PC queries within 60 days of purchase[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]DataSafe[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Microsoft Application Software[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Microsoft® Works 9 - English[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]Protect your new PC[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial][SIZE=1]McAfee® Security Centre 15 Month Protection[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=2] [FONT=arial][SIZE=2]Total Price:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=arial][SIZE=2]£[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial][SIZE=2]597.11[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Do I need fabric conditioner?33
    2. Buying Christmas tree after Christmas56
    3. Netflix Family - Anyone got any places going?51
    4. Looking for advice on ESP8266 microcontroller project34

See more discussions