What's the best AGP graphics card out there that will run on a 300w power supply?

4 replies
Found 28th Jun 2009
Currently have an agp 128mb ati radeon 9600.. apparently a ati radeon 3650hd 512mb gddr 3 needs a 450 watt power supply..

3 Comments

Depends, if it is on of those ~ £5.00 300W PSUs you have a problem.

But if you paid £20-30 for it, then you are good for say a GeForce 7900GS AGP. Which if you have a budget of at least £60 I can offer you (used but 100% working).

Ultimately you should go out and buy a good £30 PSU with all the relevant modern connectors, so that your machine runs stable and is able to take a new motherboard/processor in the future.

A weak PSU means that the computer may randomly restart on it's own, when under heavy load.

Original Poster

SUMMONER;5610951

Depends, if it is on of those ~ £5.00 300W PSUs you have a problem. But … Depends, if it is on of those ~ £5.00 300W PSUs you have a problem. But if you paid £20-30 for it, then you are good for say a GeForce 7900GS AGP. Which if you have a budget of at least £60 I can offer you (used but 100% working).Ultimately you should go out and buy a good £30 PSU with all the relevant modern connectors, so that your machine runs stable and is able to take a new motherboard/processor in the future.A weak PSU means that the computer may randomly restart on it's own, when under heavy load.

same problem you need A minimum 400W system power supply for your graphics card.. yh the power supply came with my comp (sony pvrs-704) just dont want to buy a new one, and wanted to spend a max of £50 just upgrading the graphics card and ram, to play decent games.. not too worried about the processor because I know a good graphics card will take most of the load off it,..
don't really want to change power supply but if i have to which one should i get.. can i get anyone? TIA

sourcelives;5611197

same problem you need A minimum 400W system power supply for your … same problem you need A minimum 400W system power supply for your graphics card.. yh the power supply came with my comp (sony pvrs-704) just dont want to buy a new one, and wanted to spend a max of £50 just upgrading the graphics card and ram, to play decent games.. not too worried about the processor because I know a good graphics card will take most of the load off it,..don't really want to change power supply but if i have to which one should i get.. can i get anyone? TIA

If it is a Sony made desktop a std ATX power supply may not actually fit the case anyway. I do still think new PSU is the way forward. Your PSU is a bottleneck, which is always going to limit you.

The card has worked fine for 2 years on my old Enermax 320Watt PSU.

Try some mock configs, ]using the Antec PSU calculator.

]How about a used 6800GT for £38.98
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Toyota verso camera25
    2. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…822
    3. Cineworld - possible to book film for future at counter to save booking fee…33
    4. Aliexpress - To be trusted?810

See more discussions