Whats the best Anti Virus Software nowadays please to protect my house PCs?

Posted 11th Mar
trying to work out which software i should buy thats actually good and not a load hype crap and that it will do what it says and protect my home pcs including mine of course
im very grateful for any help or advice on this
thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Assuming Win10: the integral Microsoft offering is more than adequate with no need to purchase anything, unless you subscribe to the psychological concept of "I've paid (more) money for AV so it must be better than xyz AV".
You can augment with adding decent ablock extension / addon to all browsers, such as uBlock Origin (two words).
Many recent similar posts, such as
hotukdeals.com/dis…875
hotukdeals.com/dis…344
28 Comments
I use norton and haven’t had any problems with it
Assuming Win10: the integral Microsoft offering is more than adequate with no need to purchase anything, unless you subscribe to the psychological concept of "I've paid (more) money for AV so it must be better than xyz AV".
You can augment with adding decent ablock extension / addon to all browsers, such as uBlock Origin (two words).
Many recent similar posts, such as
hotukdeals.com/dis…875
hotukdeals.com/dis…344
According to AV comparatives:

40086150-EwnSe.jpg
Bitdefender and Avira both got 3 stars for Malware protection, Performance and Real-World Protection so one of those would be my recommendation.
Edited by: "Gormond" 11th Mar
Avast free scored best in Which magazine tests lasr year.
Funnily enough just done this all this morning. I had Kaspersky free which got too annoying with pop-up upsells. Two good articles:

The Best Antivirus Is Not Traditional Antivirus

The Best Internet Security: Layers of Protection, and Good Habits

TL/DR - If you really want to buy something get malwarebytes premium and use alongside windows defender (just as good as free AV, but built in so it doesn't nag you to buy 'premium' stuff'). I've decided to use defender alongside malwarebytes free. Also there's various other steps you can take.

Avoid Norton Etc., ultimately they're just not necessary and have too many downsides.
Edited by: "HottyHotty" 11th Mar
The best solution is not just software

1. Do not use an admin account as your own every day account in windows. Set yourself up as a user
2. Apply windows and other product updates automatically as they come out
3. Use Gmail to filter all email
4. Do not think of the problem as 'Anti Virus'. You need to look at a total security package which does whole lot more
5. Use a decent security package but remember they leapfrog each other.
6. Add Malwarebytes
7. Never (almost impossible so let's say 'normally') do not follow links. Find the URL for yourself and bookmark frequent use ones in the browser menu bar.
8. Never download software unless you are 1,000,000% sure of the source (MS, Download.cnet.com, Adobe or other trusted site),
9 Set the admin account password to something like 'Do_I_really_know_what_is_happening_here_or_am_I_being_stupid''
10.DO NOT use a password manager. Sure it is unbreakable today. But what about next week
11. Change passwords
Edited by: "ccnp" 11th Mar
sorry forgot to mention what my OS was its windows 7 64bt still unless at some point i really really need to upgrade to win10
MaxStorm767811/03/2020 16:05

sorry forgot to mention what my OS was its windows 7 64bt still unless at …sorry forgot to mention what my OS was its windows 7 64bt still unless at some point i really really need to upgrade to win10

Isn't the no-cost upgrade to W10 from W7 still functional? Was still functional late Feb 2020. Doesn't answer your Q but likely makes the answer to the Q less pressing.
ccnp11/03/2020 16:01

The best solution is not just software1. Do not use an admin account as …The best solution is not just software1. Do not use an admin account as your own every day account in windows. Set yourself up as a user2. Apply windows and other product updates automatically as they come out3. Use Gmail to filter all email4. Do not think of the problem as 'Anti Virus'. You need to look at a total security package which does whole lot more5. Use a decent security package but remember they leapfrog each other.6. Add Malwarebytes7. Never (almost impossible so let's say 'normally') do not follow links. Find the URL for yourself and bookmark frequent use ones in the browser menu bar.8. Never download software unless you are 1,000,000% sure of the source (MS, Download.cnet.com, Adobe or other trusted site), 9 Set the admin account password to something like 'Do_I_really_know_what_is_happening_here_or_am_I_being_stupid''10.DO NOT use a password manager. Sure it is unbreakable today. But what about next week11. Change passwords

Do not use a password manager is bad advice for the average consumer, if it's a choice between using a manager or using the same password across sites then the former is a far better option. Most are unable to remember unique strong passwords on each site.
Edited by: "jamie15" 11th Mar
ccnp11/03/2020 16:01

The best solution is not just software1. Do not use an admin account as …The best solution is not just software1. Do not use an admin account as your own every day account in windows. Set yourself up as a user2. Apply windows and other product updates automatically as they come out3. Use Gmail to filter all email4. Do not think of the problem as 'Anti Virus'. You need to look at a total security package which does whole lot more5. Use a decent security package but remember they leapfrog each other.6. Add Malwarebytes7. Never (almost impossible so let's say 'normally') do not follow links. Find the URL for yourself and bookmark frequent use ones in the browser menu bar.8. Never download software unless you are 1,000,000% sure of the source (MS, Download.cnet.com, Adobe or other trusted site), 9 Set the admin account password to something like 'Do_I_really_know_what_is_happening_here_or_am_I_being_stupid''10.DO NOT use a password manager. Sure it is unbreakable today. But what about next week11. Change passwords

Mostly good advice, although I'd disagree on the PW manager. For most people it's far safer to use one than not. Someone can't hack a PW manager and see your passwords, and other theoretical vulnerabilities do not shift the risk balance. You're better off having one in general.
i am told you don't need one, just use windows defender on your pc and you will be fine.
HottyHotty11/03/2020 15:51

Funnily enough just done this all this morning. I had Kaspersky free which …Funnily enough just done this all this morning. I had Kaspersky free which got too annoying with pop-up upsells. Two good articles: The Best Antivirus Is Not Traditional AntivirusThe Best Internet Security: Layers of Protection, and Good HabitsTL/DR - If you really want to buy something get malwarebytes premium and use alongside windows defender (just as good as free AV, but built in so it doesn't nag you to buy 'premium' stuff'). I've decided to use defender alongside malwarebytes free. Also there's various other steps you can take.Avoid Norton Etc., ultimately they're just not necessary and have too many downsides.

thank you i will look into those asap and also i use MB but only as free version but if its good then i may consider now that i have heard from others thanks. Ps i will look into the other things as well thank you all for the help and advice its all useful and i will look at
I use Bitdefender and Malwarebites free versions . Never have a problem and doesn't slow down my PC.
40089134-JKmAW.jpg
Best customer service you'll get anywhere and a seriously strong security product to boot, Eset all the way!
mutley111/03/2020 17:35

i am told you don't need one, just use windows defender on your pc and you …i am told you don't need one, just use windows defender on your pc and you will be fine.

Very true, these are just a con paying for them..
Yes, Just browse sensibly and the inbuilt security is sufficient. Antivirus software tends to substantially slow down your pc hence is almost like a virus itself etc..
If you stop visiting dodgy sites then you don't need one at all.

Not used an anti-virus since I got Win10.
Kaspersky hands down as cheap and has anti ads banners
Erudite12/03/2020 10:07

I think you might be a little confused.

Kaspersky Vs bitdefender
Alternatively, just make sure you wash your hands
Bargainhead12/03/2020 06:07

Very true, these are just a con paying for them..

i think in the olden days you needed antivirus software, the like of avast and macfee, but these days they actually interfere with the windows firewall and can block wifi access. they also slow the computer down and avast can farm information from your pc.

windows defender is fine nowadays to protect machines on windows 10 as far as i am aware.

i had avast on an older laptop, which was windows 8.1 upgraded to windows 10 and had to remove it as it was interfering with the wifi as it was clashing with windows defender even though i had switched the windows firewall off.
PC got corona virus
mutley112/03/2020 10:52

i think in the olden days you needed antivirus software, the like of avast …i think in the olden days you needed antivirus software, the like of avast and macfee, but these days they actually interfere with the windows firewall and can block wifi access. they also slow the computer down and avast can farm information from your pc.windows defender is fine nowadays to protect machines on windows 10 as far as i am aware.i had avast on an older laptop, which was windows 8.1 upgraded to windows 10 and had to remove it as it was interfering with the wifi as it was clashing with windows defender even though i had switched the windows firewall off.

mutley112/03/2020 10:52

i think in the olden days you needed antivirus software, the like of avast …i think in the olden days you needed antivirus software, the like of avast and macfee, but these days they actually interfere with the windows firewall and can block wifi access. they also slow the computer down and avast can farm information from your pc.windows defender is fine nowadays to protect machines on windows 10 as far as i am aware.i had avast on an older laptop, which was windows 8.1 upgraded to windows 10 and had to remove it as it was interfering with the wifi as it was clashing with windows defender even though i had switched the windows firewall off.

Never used one, none what were not built in anyway. I’ve been online since the 56k modems were out. So 22 years now and my first computer 37 years ago..
Bargainhead12/03/2020 11:03

Never used one, none what were not built in anyway. I’ve been online since …Never used one, none what were not built in anyway. I’ve been online since the 56k modems were out. So 22 years now and my first computer 37 years ago..

i used macfee, then avast. still got infected though with malware, which is different to virus. you probably don't get infected because you don't visit dodgy websites like i do, lol

since i have used windows defender for the last 12 months or so, no infection yet
mutley112/03/2020 11:18

i used macfee, then avast. still got infected though with malware, which …i used macfee, then avast. still got infected though with malware, which is different to virus. you probably don't get infected because you don't visit dodgy websites like i do, lol since i have used windows defender for the last 12 months or so, no infection yet

I always store important stuff like photos and the like in a nas drive and a stand-alone drive. So if I ever get a virus the system just gets wiped completely...
Bargainhead12/03/2020 12:32

I always store important stuff like photos and the like in a nas drive and …I always store important stuff like photos and the like in a nas drive and a stand-alone drive. So if I ever get a virus the system just gets wiped completely...

thankfully i have been able to get rid of the malware in past instances by using anti malware software. i also have data recovery software so i could always recover data by taking the hard drive out. i have important photos on dropbox so it will never get lost.

i print out copies of important documents so i have a hard copy in case it disappears from the pc.
HottyHotty11/03/2020 17:33

Mostly good advice, although I'd disagree on the PW manager. For most …Mostly good advice, although I'd disagree on the PW manager. For most people it's far safer to use one than not. Someone can't hack a PW manager and see your passwords, and other theoretical vulnerabilities do not shift the risk balance. You're better off having one in general.

Theoretically a password manager can be hacked, but the probability is far less likely given the focus on security + 2FA if you have it enabled.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants