Whats the best 'authentic' Indian curry you can buy from the supermarket?

Found 11th Jul 2016
Is there any recommendations for a mild curry or something you can buy from the supermarket and add something to give it a better taste? I'm looking to make a chicken curry all I need is the curry sauce or paste.
Community Updates
Ask
30 Comments
use fresh tomatoes,ginger,garlic ,onion and. spices and make your own easy peasy
very easy...braise chopped onions in little oil...add some chopped or tinned tomatoes..little grated ginger n garli ..and curry powder of choice...braise feww minutes till oul floats on top...add meat or chicken or veg...add little water..cover n cook till done!...enjoy
So while I agree with the previous comments (it is easy to make your own and I do recommend giving it a go), the best supermarket curry I've had is Spice Tailor. I particularly recommend the Punjabi Tomato variant.
To put it into a different context, a lot of Indian restaurants I've seen in work ordering the Pataks catering brand (or Knorr Paste) unsure if the sauce is any different to the same you can buy in supermarkets. In all honesty not really into Indian curry's myself though do love a Biriyani - can't remember the name of the one I buy for making that, but could walk you to it in Asda lol. It has spice mix in the lid then wet sauce underneath in the jar but isn't the Asda own brand one.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 11th Jul 2016
I think the tesco packs out the fridge are the best ones. Rice and curry in one. Not the meal for one in the bags.I know what your asking and have seen the better looking curry at morrisons but the taste is not great and very little meat. Stuff making yourselves. Wang in micro for a quick ding meal. Lovely
To me they are all much the same and taste synthetic so I wouldn't recommend any, however you may wish to add a couple of tablespoons (instead of curry powder) from the Pataks range of your choice-look for some oil on top in jar
Worst is homepride range
Tips- don't forget to add fresh coriander just before you serve or cardamom or almonds to make it extra special
Have a look at thespiceisright website, really tasty IMO.

Packets of spices etc that you could probably buy separate but save on the hassle of needing 12 or so different spice jars
Edited by: "andynicol" 11th Jul 2016
only half decent jar I have found that is cheap is the pataks jalfrezi (89p in tesco). Add some garlic, peppers, onions, cardamom powder, fresh chopped coriander (at the end) and its pretty nice but nothing compares to a proper takeaway as they contain far more ghee and salt

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=274747250

The LIDL jalfrezi is good too (has fresh spices on the top of the jar)

best one with meat I have found is the tesco chicken jalfrezi (2 for £5)

tesco.com/gro…541

Edited by: "chocci" 11th Jul 2016
We used to buy curry sauce from the burchers but they closed. You can mail order it though http://www.currysauce.com.
http://www.mumsmasala.com
this one is good, low in bad fats and salt, its quite expensive at around £2.25 compared with others though. Morrisons stock it
wayners

We used to buy curry sauce from the burchers but they closed. You can … We used to buy curry sauce from the burchers but they closed. You can mail order it though http://www.currysauce.com.

ocado sell those

mysupermarket.co.uk/Sho…ado
Original Poster
Looks good, might try the Indian and Thai curry from currysauce.com Does it come as a paste?
Also going to try mum's masala, thanks everyone.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 11th Jul 2016
We just cooked meat and added sauce. I must order some as they were nice.
chicken tonight
Banned
RiverDragon8, Do you have any Indian grocery stores or supermarkets where you live? You should be able to find good quality curries and curry sauces in the fresh section. As already mentioned make your own.
Edited by: "Olibrighton" 11th Jul 2016
I ordered a couple of jars off Holland & Barrett just to make up the order to get free delivery, think they're called Punjaban or something similar. Gluten free if you're into it (not bothered either way) but they were lovely. Much better than Pataks, Sharwood and a few others I've tried.
The curry kits with different spices and all the portions measured out are good as long as you follow the instructions.

Depends on what your after though and if you have spices/herbs already.
Can't go too wrong with a korma if you want mild but tasty.
I was just going to recommend Schwartz Flavour Shots the Masala one is the best thing I've ever tried from a supermarket & I couldn't find any at Schwartz online where I've ordered them from before & to my horror they have discontinued them,they were gorgeous,I'm really annoyed about this now arghhhh
We love the pataks pastes, though I like a really tasty curry, so instead of a tablespoon or 2 I use the whole jar.
We love the pataks pastes, though I like a really tasty curry, so instead of a tablespoon or 2 I use the whole jar.
fergiewilson

We love the pataks pastes, though I like a really tasty curry, so instead … We love the pataks pastes, though I like a really tasty curry, so instead of a tablespoon or 2 I use the whole jar.

6 times the recommended daily amount of salt per jar oO
Original Poster
Olibrighton

RiverDragon8, Do you have any Indian grocery stores or supermarkets where … RiverDragon8, Do you have any Indian grocery stores or supermarkets where you live? You should be able to find good quality curries and curry sauces in the fresh section. As already mentioned make your own.

I don't, I just want a paste or sauce to pour over some chicken + onions + peppers.... voila tasty chicken curry.
pataks is rank, sherwoods if ur desperate, the best one recently during ramadan was East End Jalfrezi, tesco were doing them for 75p but seem to have stopped selling them and cant find them anywhere now, much better flavor and consistancy
or just buy big bags of whole cumin and coriander, blend how much u need, chopped toms, onion, ginger, garlic, chillis, hundreds of easy receipes if you have the basic ingredients that mos supermarkets sell in the world food isle
which are do u live?...might find a kind neighbour to show u how to make it...
Youll not get a decent curry in a jar. Look up recipes and give it a go youll be surprised cooking isnt as hard as it looks
123batman321

Youll not get a decent curry in a jar. Look up recipes and give it a go … Youll not get a decent curry in a jar. Look up recipes and give it a go youll be surprised cooking isnt as hard as it looks

Me not cooking isn't because it's too hard it's because it's boring,also you spend ages making something that's eaten within 5 mins and takes an age to make and clean up lol
deb8z

Me not cooking isn't because it's too hard it's because it's boring,also … Me not cooking isn't because it's too hard it's because it's boring,also you spend ages making something that's eaten within 5 mins and takes an age to make and clean up lol

Theres nothing wrong with we eat garbage out of jars some of the time too probably more than we should lol. Its good to cook fresh too tho usually healthier and tastier
where abouts in london do you live?
Pataks curry paste is excellent.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions