Groups

What's the best cheap but effective advertising methods?

Hi everyone,

I know a lot of you have your own sites/businesses and was wondering what the best advertising methods are, that's cost effective but successful?

Both my parents have there own sole trader businesses but this is the off peak season with practically no on going advertising at the moment, business is slower than ever.

My mum has her own website, which isn't fantastic but gets the job done i suppose and used to advertise in Yellow Pages, as well as local newspapers but they've proved to be too slow in bringing in new customers, so what do you suggest?

Thanks for the help in advance.

13 Comments

Word of mouth is the cheapest and best.....

The newspapers are probably actually best, Nearly everyone reads there local paper and if its a good ad (that sticks in their mind), They'll remember it and possible tell others when they something that could be bought from that shop etc.

Original Poster

Iom-RF

Word of mouth is the cheapest and best.....The newspapers are probably … Word of mouth is the cheapest and best.....The newspapers are probably actually best, Nearly everyone reads there local paper and if its a good ad (that sticks in their mind), They'll remember it and possible tell others when they something that could be bought from that shop etc.

My parents businesses have been basically going quite strong based on word of mouth/referral for decades now but it's not exactly something you constantly need, so the existing customers are delighted but doesn't keep coming back forever.

I also set up a referral scheme, so customers receive a discount for there next job if they recommend someone and i had a brilliant advertising campaign set up (it was a very clever ad) but my mum wasn't too sure about flyers being posted and the other method.

By the way, my mum doesn't mind spending a bit, as long as it's effective.

Banned

can i ask what the site is and what she deals in? this can normally dictate the best ways to reach your potential customers

Yeah - might as well plug the site on here surely? lol.

Original Poster

simon_stuart

can i ask what the site is and what she deals in? this can normally … can i ask what the site is and what she deals in? this can normally dictate the best ways to reach your potential customers

I won't give a direct link to the site but will mention the field, as i don't want anyone to think i'm trying to break the rules but my mums a clairvoyant/psychic and my father is a highly skilled carpenter but he doesn't have a website.

What does everyone suggest would be the best forms of advertising for them?

Yep word of mouth is the best. Also ring up your local weekly paper and get costs from them, as that paper goes to everyhouse in the area( in my town it does) also..... one of my staff ( im also partnership in a business) rang up a local radio station requesting a song on sat morning and she ended up live on air, when asked what she was doing she went into overdrive plugging the business!! Cant get better FREE advertising than that! also a little tip...,. find out who delivers your areas Avon or betterware, get loads of flyers done and ask the person to put them inside the brochure when delivering... will be the best 20quid you will spend on advertising as my betterware man delivers to 4000 houses! gotta think OUT OF THE BOX

Ps My other half did my business website, ask around you will be suprise how many peiple are willing to do favours.. you scratch my back i scratch yours etc........

Oh forgot to say, A good site is essential, Would be worth paying someone to do a professional job.

Banned

for your mum - maybe improve the website, join relevant forums and put website link in sig, maybe advertise on her car, offer group discounts? i know mother, daughter and grandaughter to visit before. a small discount for such bookings may increase the numbers of people. there are several more ways but you get the idea. when people phone up and book make sure she asks if there is anyone close to her that would also like a session with maybe a small discount

father - get a website, papers, again advertise on side of van, encourange current customers to recommend him if they are happy with his work etc.

you get the gist

We have about 3 booklets delivered fortnightly which just consist of adverts. Friend of the family has 2 businesses and both have improved since advertising in those

If you know the target area or the place where their customers live then you can use various demographics to find the best advertising solution. For example by using the ]Caci Acorn database you will be able to find out all sorts of info that may help you tailor your advertising to your target market. eg. Disposable income, what they read/watch. Aswell as this try to promote the usp of your business so that the audience comes to you rather than another business.
    hope this helps if you need any other advice you know where i am:thumbsup:

Banned

when there are no mods online spam the forums! i was joking btw :giggle:

so what have you decided to do RFM?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764418
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?1946
      3. Any PS4 News Here29213620
      4. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1533

See more discussions