Expired

Whats the best deal for Central Heating cover?

Found 5th Aug 2011
I have a Worcester Bosch boiler which is just out of guarantee. as I need cover is there any cover which is better than others. Also not sure what to get covered. I was offered a cover called Xtrawarm from the people who installed the boiler but was put off when they said it may be two days before they can get to you. Thats a long time in winter with no heat, but is this the norm?

Any advice would be lovely, thanks.
Community Updates
Misc
30 Comments
my o/h...hes out in less than an hour for emergencies!
has_152

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/customer-service/boiler-service-plan

Just phoned these up insurance is with Domestic and general and very expensive as only cover boiler and not anything else. has anyone tried Omniassist? Never heard of them but the name keeps coming up in google.
Do you have home emergency cover on your house insurance you may be covered there
newbie1001

Do you have home emergency cover on your house insurance you may be … Do you have home emergency cover on your house insurance you may be covered there

I don't know I will look now, thanks.

Yes I do not sure what it covers though. I will have to phone them to find out exactly what I am covered for. Thank you.
Edited by: "bluebindy123" 5th Aug 2011
Dont cover your central heating it needs air flow to stop it overheating and malfunctioning. Just stick to cover your hot water cylinder if you have one.
barclays additions - £15 pcm

Features

Worldwide multi-trip travel insurance
Mobile phone insurance, including cover against loss, theft and accidental damage
Comprehensive RAC Breakdown Cover in the UK and Europe
Extended warranty cover for your domestic appliances
Home SOS emergency cover for domestic emergencies 3
Cardholder protection, covering you against loss or theft of your cards or passport
Will-Writing service and inheritance tax brochure
Barclays loyalty mortgages – get a better deal (subject to status and availability) 2
24/7 ID theft advice helpline
Legal and tax helpline
Gadget insurance for things like your mp3 player (this service is available from 1 September 2011, subject to registration)
DO NOT USE. I would stay clear of them if I were you. One of the worst companies I've had the misfortune of dealing with. My Mother's boiler has a leak on it. The engineer came out had a look and said he would order the parts and install it. That at was 3 weeks ago. The leak is still there. When we did eventually get through they booked a day to come only to cancel the next day to say the parts disappeared. Now parts have appeared and we've been waiting till 8 am as appointment was for 8-12 noon. No one has turned up. Numerous calls and only to be told it'll be Friday. Their staff are very rude, non-committal and a joke. Constantly lie and in all of this the boiler is still leaking. Thank God we can still get heat. I'd shudde to think that this is the treatment we would get if we were freezing our pants off. Stay clear. You have been warned.
ariel1

DO NOT USE. I would stay clear of them if I were you. One of the worst … DO NOT USE. I would stay clear of them if I were you. One of the worst companies I've had the misfortune of dealing with. My Mother's boiler has a leak on it. The engineer came out had a look and said he would order the parts and install it. That at was 3 weeks ago. The leak is still there. When we did eventually get through they booked a day to come only to cancel the next day to say the parts disappeared. Now parts have appeared and we've been waiting till 8 am as appointment was for 8-12 noon. No one has turned up. Numerous calls and only to be told it'll be Friday. Their staff are very rude, non-committal and a joke. Constantly lie and in all of this the boiler is still leaking. Thank God we can still get heat. I'd shudde to think that this is the treatment we would get if we were freezing our pants off. Stay clear. You have been warned.

do not use who?
A name like csiman and you can't work that out?!

But yeah - don't use who? Cadburys? Mercedes? Coca-cola?
i use british gas homecare.
they are on the pricey side but they provide reliable cover.
xtrawarm never use them my boiler broke down they came said the parts would take a week to come....one month later still waiting have been without heating or hot water all over christmas...you carnt speak to anyone you have to leave a message for them to get back to you..if they do you just get lies ..they phoned to say the engineer would be with us ystday and yes he never came phoned left a message no one got back ...never use them again
We have cover with British gas home care and they service ours annually and cover plumbing, electrics and drainage too. We have an old system so have had our money's worth out of them.
We've been with worcester bosch for years and had excellent service from them. In our previous house they fixed our boiler with lots of new parts that would have cost us a fortune otherwise. British Gas didn't have a clue!
** AVOID ** Xtrawarm or Energy Insurance Services as they are now called. This company kept my 76 year old mother waiting for over three weeks over Xmas with no hot water or central heating (Boiler malfunction). They failed 3 times to turn up when they promised to. Also they never returned phone calls even when they said they would. They made pitiful excuses that they couldn't get the parts and then another time they had no engineers in the area. This company is a complete waste of time and offer a disgusting treatment to customers. A total rip off firm - insure with them at your own peril.
karenkaren

xtrawarm never use them my boiler broke down they came said the parts … xtrawarm never use them my boiler broke down they came said the parts would take a week to come....one month later still waiting have been without heating or hot water all over christmas...you carnt speak to anyone you have to leave a message for them to get back to you..if they do you just get lies ..they phoned to say the engineer would be with us ystday and yes he never came phoned left a message no one got back ...never use them again

My mother was in exactly the same situation as yourself .
mutley1

i use british gas homecare.they are on the pricey side but they provide … i use british gas homecare.they are on the pricey side but they provide reliable cover.

me too, I also have a Worcestor Bosch, BG are great in my experience!
Don't go to Xtrawarm , I have heart and lung problems and have to have Oxygen and find it hard to breath in the cold , promised Priority , Boiler breaks down and told I have to wait 6 days before any help , worst service I have ever had in my 68 years of my life
USE EXTRAWARM AT YOUR PERIL! Having had a boiler fitted a new Ideal Logic HE boiler fitted just over 2 years ago through the warmfront scheme, I stupidly took out their extended cover with XTRAWARM another Carillion Company. In my experience the insurance cover is not worth the paper it is written on it's a 48 hour call out (That is if you can get through on the phone) The last time I called it was a 50 minute wait time, like most people can afford 50 minutes listening to some tin pot music, by the time you get through your brain dead!! There is a foot of snow outside and like others on this site we too have no heating and no hot water I have health issues and their is a 4 year old living in the house they do not appear to carry stocks of parts so these have to be ordered in. I phoned again this morning at 8.00am and after another 30 minute wait. I was told a member of their planning team would call, we shall see..............KEEP WARM - KEEP SAF and shop around for a a reliable company because EXTRAWARM DO NOT FALL INTO THIS CATEGORY!
I've cancelled anything to do with Xtrawarm, extremely rude engineer who ran the company down, took three days to get here and told me it was my job to switch the heating back on.
My elderly parents also had Xtrawarm insurance. It was extremely unfortunate that the problems started during the worst cold period we have experienced, and they had to endure no heating or hot water for nearly 2 weeks. Like so many others on this comment board experienced the same horrendous experience. Additionally to this, they found the following:
- engineers sent appeared to be sub-contracted, were not experienced in the boiler requiring to be fixed and when attempting to fix the fault, were overheard asking for assistance from ‘a friend’, had no information from the Customer service department on the fault and so had no parts (even though the customer service dept had full info on the make and type of boiler including what the fault was).
- They were constantly being lied to as to when an engineer would arrive and never turning up, and worse still who would be turning up.
- In the prior 3 months, the xtrawarm engineers had replaced the heat exchanger and this should have been it. However the exchanger developed a fault with 3 months, with the ensuing leak causing a minor flood and crucially wetting all the electrical wiring. We contacted the boiler (Ideal Logic) manufacturer and they commented that for the exchanger to develop a fault and cause a leak within 3 months is extremely low probability (they all cover themselves).

Even after numerous phone calls, having to wait on average 30 minutes before anyone answers the call, a catalogue of them cancelling appointments or simply not turning up, sending inexperienced engineers etc, Xtrawarm still argue, even when clearly shown where they failed to meet their contractual obligations, that they did it by the book.

Can anyone advice on how we can get compensation for the atrocious service we have received.
Oh no. After reading the comments my heart sank. Leaking boiler, no heating or hot water and into third day. I was told yesterday but no time could be given, then today but no time. Just have to wait and see what happens. I will be cancelling, of course.
Appalling company! Disabled 79 widower living alone with no heating or hot water. Took them over 3 wks to repair. 1st engineer sought spare part and forgot to order it. 2nd & 3rd failed to come back. Appointments made for 4th and 5th visits but they failed to appear. Took numerous calls before finally engineer appeared and carried out the work. How does this company survive?
I'm having extreme problems with xtrawarm ! Stay away from them they don't know how to run a company !! My mothers disabled and has had no heating for a week but this issue has been ongoing for 4 weeks now !!! Take your money and don't offer a good service ! Customer care team never call back
I'm with Eon cover (not with them for as/electric though). Its about £20 per month, covers boiler, water, pipes, rads etc.

Had them out a few times to fix leaks & hot water cylinder issues - always been very good.
Don't have insurance (boiler is under warranty). My "insurance" are 3 electric heaters in the loft. Which came in handy when rain water got inside my IDEAL boiler friday afternoon, shorting out the electric and stopping the boiler working. IDEAL were great, engineer came monday morning and fixed it with new circuit board.
Saturday Aug 9th 2014 87 year old lady partially blind and deaf told to switch off boiler bleed radiators and an engineer will be out Tuesday 12th Aug. No heating or hotwater. emegency phone is a call centre and total waste of time Dont deal with Xtra warm breakdown
Had my boiler serviced in October a leaking radiator was noted, chap took measurements and said would be in touch nothing has been done despite phone calls, quite happy to take my money every month, I don't think I will be renewing
British Gas a bit more expensive but get the job done
Xtrawarm are rubbish, every annual check means a breakdown a couple of weeks later. They have really messed up big time now, check in September, quickly broke down with leak, new part finally fitted, still leaking, another different new part, still leaking, failed totally in December no heating or water over Christmas, another new part. Strange every new part needs a phone call to talk engineer through fitting it. Appointments being changed without being told. Boiler still leaking, three appointments now and still waiting for an end to it all. Insurance paid up front but will be getting new boiler and,glory be,a decent maintenance firm ASAP.
Do not deal with extra warm ,l had three service appointments cancelled and on the final visit was told I needed a repair , I have had 5more visits either cancelled or the engineer not turning up ,and they really don't care . I am cancelling my contract ,they are useless!!!!! I am so angry
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants