Groups

What's the best 'free' VM software for Windows

As per title....

Looking for the best free Virtual Machine software so i can install XP as a Virtual machine on my Vista box.

Cheers

10 Comments

I'd go with virtualbox (virtualbox.org/). If you install on a linux host u can have ur guest os run in seamless mode!!

VMware is the best in my opinion, but it's not free...

vmware.com/

i use this its great imo, I used Ubuntu on it

Virtualbox if FREE and less resource hungry than vmware.

DVS_Dee;3412618

Virtualbox if FREE and less resource hungry than vmware.

when run VMware it don't take up alot, hardly any infact (well on my pc anyway)

Most important question is why do you want to? The different VM software have different capabilities, 'clone' hardware and drivers - don't expect to be able to do any 3D gaming though!

VMWare is very good though, comes with a useful free trial period, Microsofts Virtual PC also works pretty well.

VMplayer is free - you can't create virtual machines without it however you can use online sites to create the virtual machine and run it from there. It's not very convenient if you're looking to run multiple virtual machines alongside each other but to run a single OS virtually it's great for a free solution.

John

Original Poster

jah128;3412649

Most important question is why do you want to? The different VM software … Most important question is why do you want to? The different VM software have different capabilities, 'clone' hardware and drivers - don't expect to be able to do any 3D gaming though! VMWare is very good though, comes with a useful free trial period, Microsofts Virtual PC also works pretty well.

Just looking to run some apps that won't run on Vista, and also see if I can get my Tesco Internet Phone up and running on it too.

Cheers for all the replies people. Think Virtualbox was one I couldn't remember the name of, and have heard some good thing about it, so will perhaps try that first, and at least I have other oprions thanks to your suggestions.

Thanks again people

Johnmcl7;3412686

VMplayer is free - you can't create virtual machines without it however … VMplayer is free - you can't create virtual machines without it however you can use online sites to create the virtual machine and run it from there. It's not very convenient if you're looking to run multiple virtual machines alongside each other but to run a single OS virtually it's great for a free solution.John

Or VMWare has a free (30-day ?) trial, you can use that to create the OS images then continue to use them is the free player :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1420
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846154
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      4. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218

See more discussions