what's the best h.265 encoder out there handbrake vs pavtuve vs dvdfab ?

Found 22nd Nov 2015
Looking for a good piece of software to convert blurays to h.265 video for my mobile phone. Read about pavtube but there seem to be a lot of dodgy self promoting claims around it. Is it worth the extra buying pavtube over the free handbrake ?
Community Updates
AskDVD
7 Comments
I've always been happy with handbrake. It's a good idea to play with the settings to get the best quality/file size/encode times. I personally wouldnt pay for the software to do it when there is some great free options out there.

Another point I will say is will the app you are using to play back on the phone play H265?
For the small screen of a phone? Probably not worth worrying about. Use whichever free option you like the interface of.
Original Poster
Astec123

I've always been happy with handbrake. It's a good idea to play with the … I've always been happy with handbrake. It's a good idea to play with the settings to get the best quality/file size/encode times. I personally wouldnt pay for the software to do it when there is some great free options out there. Another point I will say is will the app you are using to play back on the phone play H265?

Yeah the phone is an LG G4 5.5" display with a resolution of 2560x1440 pixels. The phone supports h.265 as a native codec. I'm looking to buy a 128GB Micro SD but you like to shave an extra 8-15% off the video sizes.

I'd probably be re-encoding at 1920x800 with 5.1DD audio. Probably looking at around 4-8GB per Bluray conversion.
Do all these products use the same implementation of h.265 running through ffmpeg or is there tweaked codecs ?
videoconverterfactory.com/tha…ng/ Worth a look, this one supports H.265 and has GPU mode for all 3 (Intel, AMD, Nvidia), which should speed things up a bit
In my own experience, easily the best and easiest to use ... freemake.com/fre…er/
Original Poster
I did a bit more reading and found out there's two codecs the official h.265 and the x265 codec. I might just stick with handbrake as they all seem to use ffmpeg.
kester76

I did a bit more reading and found out there's two codecs the official … I did a bit more reading and found out there's two codecs the official h.265 and the x265 codec. I might just stick with handbrake as they all seem to use ffmpeg.

I can tell you that almost all GPL and LGPL licensed media converters and players will use ffmpeg for encoding and decoding. It will be quite asinine not to use ffmpeg given that it has undergone many years of development and refinement and also developers would be very unwise to write their own. We write media players for the broadcasting and movie industry and even our media players are using ffmpeg under the LGPL license (in addition to other professional CODECs supplied by others).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants